Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon....
    I was hoping that people may be able to provide some ideas for me on a certain subject......as this is a medically based forum (sort of) I was hoping to get some good feedback.
    Basically I have recently become involved in a charity called CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young). The charity is a worth while cause whose sole purpose is to raise awareness of cardiac diseases/conditions within young people (adults under 35 is the classified age). The charity also tries to raise funds for testing equipment.
    CRY have been in the press of late and need all the exposure they can for raising awareness, which is why I am messaging here. Plus, without going into too much detail this issue is close to my heart as my Dad died of a Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy. He was in the RAF and wasn't tested for such a disease.
    I am in the process of applying to the Army, which is also why I am posting here. First of all can anyone:
    1. Think of any good ideas for fundraising. Any particular events etc.
    2. Also, advise if stringent cardiac tests are carried out in the military in yearly medicals etc? I know my Dad didn't have any tests but he died 9 years ago so I don't know if this has since changed.
    Thank you for your ideas, much appreciated!

PN X :D
  2. Come on guys....I am really stuck for ideas!!
  3. Try posting in this forum:

Charity stuff

you might get a response in there, its what its for.
  4. I am sorry.

This seems like quite a popular forum which is why I posted it here!

However, please may someone answer as to whether cardiac tests are carried out within the forces?

I am really interested in raising awareness. Also, as the Army is concerned with more physical excercise I thought this maybe some bearign to my cause?

PN -x-
  5. If you have reason for them then yes they are carried out.

I have Cardio Myopathy in the close family and when i was getting chest pains I had intensive testing done. Howeevr, i don't believe these are done as part of the standard testing.
  6. Thank you One Shot.

Sorry to hear that. I hope your test results came back as OK, it is a hard disease to detect I think and the consequences of losing someone are tragic. Kids as young as 6 have been known to suddenly pass away and still not much is known about the condition.
  7. The only cardiac tests carried out routinely are auscultation to listen for cardiac murmurs at routine medicals.
    ECG's are carried out routinely for Aircrew and Diving medicals but apart from that no other investigations are done routinely.

If a family history of sudden cardiac death is reported by a soldier to his medical centre he will normal be refered for cardiological review including ECG, Echocardiography and possibly Exercise ECG if indicated.

Hope this is of help. Have also seen the information regarding CRY and they had a stand at the British Cardiac Society conference in Glasgow in May where there was also an RAMC recruiting stand.
  8. Cheers for the info guys.

My little brother and sister are having tests at present, and will have to for the rest of their lives. they are so young too 8 & 9.

It sounds like CRY is well established now. I am trying to devote as much time possible to come up for ideas to raise funds too.

I wish some sort of testing was available more widespread. Apparently athletes are more prone to have cardiomyopathys...Terry Yoraths son died at 15 from the condition too.
  9. you will hear in your travels of young soldiers dropping on runs - usually cardiac problems that were undetected.

Last one that I know of was at Pirbright in 2003 - young scots lad dropped at the end of a CFT
  10. Really?

Wow, it's always when hearing stuff like that that I wish this issue was raised more.

If the conditions remain undetected it's too late nine times out of ten to be able to do anything. I felt lke I was left with a black hole when my Dad died as I always wonder if it has been detected would he be here today?

This is part of my reason for wanting to become a Nurse. Just want to be abel to make that difference to be able to care for people.

Anyway sorry for boring anyone. I just wanted to know how aware of this issue people are.
  12. Lord don't think I quite know how to quote properly yet!

Meant to say "Just want to be able to make that difference and care for people".

Yes I am having a blonde day!
  13. Is that true? I don't think so; I think they are just more likely to die from them because they stress their myocardium more.

I suspect (and I am no cardiologist) that there are people with HOCM who are undiagnosed and will never be affected until they try and prepare for the London Marathon, etc., as the first bit of real exercise in their adult lives.

It's a moot point, I suppose, arguing semantics.