Cry God for Harry.England and Saint George.

Now that Saint 'my Grandmothers neighbour drank guinness,so therfore I must celebrate it' Patricks day is over,the question of should the English celebrate St.Georges day has arisen again.

Should it be watching Morris dancers on the village green,whilst drinking a warm pint of ale,then afterwards listen to Stephen Fry read excerts of our best wordsmiths Chaucer,Shakespeare And Dickens?

Or could it be a drunken rampage through the city centers of Engerland,innit.

I prefer the way we do it now ,in that most English of ways and do nothing,in a confident manner.

It seems a little naff and insecure to want to venerate a National Saint - typically by getting shitfaced. The English demonstrate that they are above such trivia by basically ignoring theirs...

guzzler said:
You could always come on the arrse crawl, and celebrate St Georges day an event guaranteed to bring pleasure.
My bold.

Wow, you have midgets on an arrse crawl ?

Why do you want to big up an Armenian dragon slayer, Oh and for all the Micks out there remember St Patrick was a Taffy

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hmm. As George was a Palestinian with a Turkish father, you could gather at the nearest synagogue and pelt it with rocks before heading off for a kebab?

Just had a thought, "Harry" was Welsh, "I wear it for memorable honour. For I am Welsh, you know good counrtyman" Henry V SceneVII verse 192

K

Kirkz

Well the dept for culture certainly earned their salaries promoting St Georges day over the last few years Linky
Thanks for the effort there people :roll:

Kirkz said:
Well the dept for culture certainly earned their salaries promoting St Georges day over the last few years Linky
Thats cos they spent it all sucking up to labour voteing muslims

mortars2cg said:
Should it be watching Morris dancers on the village green,
It would depend on what they were doing on the village green. If they were gang raping a local infants school teacher then I would watch but if they were 'dancing' then sorry but it's time to bugger off elsewhere.

K

Kirkz

tropper66 said:
Kirkz said:
But aren't they English too? (especially if kidnapped abroad)
Surely St George is patron St to ALL English people :)

K

Kirkz

mistersoft said:
mortars2cg said:
It would depend on what they were doing on the village green. If they were gang raping a local infants school teacher then I would watch but if they were 'dancing' then sorry but it's time to bugger off elsewhere.
The Damsel & Dragon for a swift flagon of Mead mayhaps :D

Kirkz said:
mistersoft said:
mortars2cg said:
See you there. :)

tropper66 said:
Kirkz said:
Who would just love to HONOUR a CHRISTIAN SAINT. Oh yer

K

Kirkz

mistersoft said:
Kirkz said:
mistersoft said:
mortars2cg said:
See you there. :)
It's a spit & sawdust hostelry so don't wear your best armour!
I'll get you one in while you change and saddle up the steed :D

Kirkz said:
tropper66 said:
Kirkz said:
Hmm-that big ol' red cross on his surcoat might regarded as ........errmm.....inflammatory in certain quarters.

FourZeroCharlie said:
Kirkz said:
tropper66 said:
Kirkz said:
Hmm-that big ol' red cross on his surcoat might regarded as ........errmm.....inflammatory in certain quarters.

I'm fairly sure that Muslims and other non-christians don't actually have patron saints...

mortars2cg said:
Now that Saint 'my Grandmothers neighbour drank guinness,so therfore I must celebrate it' Patricks day is over,the question of should the English celebrate St.Georges day has arisen again.
I was under the impression, the patron saint of Ireland is St Bernard. In fact when I lived in NI, there were shops selling virtually nothing else, other than products with a St Bernard label.

K

Kirkz

jew_unit said:
FourZeroCharlie said:
Kirkz said:
tropper66 said:
Kirkz said:

I'm fairly sure that Muslims and other non-christians don't actually have patron saints...
I see your point but, St George is patron saint of England there fore patron St to all English people whatever religion they might be. It's their choice not to believe is it not :)

jew_unit said:
FourZeroCharlie said:
Kirkz said:
tropper66 said:
Kirkz said:

St Thomas the Apostle is the Patron, of wait for it, Pakistan
John the Baptist is Jorden
ST Maruthes is of Iran
St Barbara of Syria, and dropshorts
The Virgin Mary is Tunisia