Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cry Freedom, mince pies and Chrimbo Trees - Moron’s charter?

Chef

LE
People batting on about visiting their relatives...but perfectly OK to mix in supermarkets and other retail places with thousands of strangers. My Mum and Dad are 78 and 84 respectively both know they haven't got long to go and are extremely fed up with spending their final amount of time locked up. They know the risks, they also realise that they have had a good life and accept that they could die of anything from flu to cardiac arrest at any moment.
Something that's puzzled me for a while. The new tiers aka 'Here's something I made up earlier' specifies that tier 2 pubs that are predominately restaurants may open but all others must shut. Not very logical but hey ho.

However it's not until tier 3 that cinemas and bowling alleys must close.

So tier 2 you can't go to a pub for a couple of pints, too risky, but you can go to a bowling alley and prop up the bar there until closing time. Makes perfect sense to someone nu?

Something that's puzzled me for a while. The new tiers aka 'Here's something I made up earlier' specifies that tier 2 pubs that are predominately restaurants may open but all others must shut. Not very logical but hey ho.

So tier 2 you can't go to a pub for a couple of pints, too risky, but you can go to a bowling alley and prop up the bar there until closing time. Makes perfect sense to someone nu?
We can't use our indoor lawn bowls centre, but you can go swimming, bowling and shopping and if you play singles or pairs you are distanced anyway.

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
I do think the governments should be more robust in saying that despite the relaxation only a moron would take up the opportunity.
Or alternatively: tell people to stay at home, observe the rule of six, and celebrate Easter instead.

Lockdown until next year but with a week off in the middle? Where's the logic in that?

But they are not infecting people are they? As has been stated above, there wasnt a massive spike of deaths after the recent big marches and reports of youths partying. The youngsters will party on down and the middle aged will join the youngsters on marches and old people will die as they always have done and always will.

I have said on another thread ages ago, I wonder how the number of 'covid deaths' will get mixed up with the traditionally high number of 'normal' deaths that happen to the elderly at this time of year.
died within 28 of positive test, so you have a test positive but are fine get hit by a bus on the way home,but died of covid.?

Bob65

War Hero
If you look at deaths due to COVID-19 almost all of them are properly old. To give some context, COVID has killed more people aged 90+ than it has everyone under 60. The vast majority of the illegal raves, protests, beach parties etc. were attended by young people who won't die.

Average age of a COVID death is 82. Average life expectancy in the UK is... 81.

There's nothing wrong with the rule that says you can sit in the pub to eat and drink, but it's too risky to just sit and drink.

It's safer to tip all those low risk punters out the door at the same time too.

This is what happens when you have a Nanny State, people stop thinking and weighing up risks themselves. Once upon a time people would have been told the risks and expected to manage accordingly

Yokel

LE
This is what happens when you have a Nanny State, people stop thinking and weighing up risks themselves. Once upon a time people would have been told the risks and expected to manage accordingly

I think there is a lot in that. Do people have experience of weighing up risks? Is cause and effect understood, or the idea that actions have consequences? How can society be both permissive and risk averse?

However how many people think "it will never happen to me" and then when it does, squeal that it is someone else's fault?

Chef

LE
Sums up the modern attitude nicely.

On the street a couple of days back and a masked up acquaintance asked why I wasn't wearing a mask.

'Because we're outside and it's not required. (Yet).'

'Ooh you're brave! Aren't you worried about catching it?'

This, asked on a street with just the two of us about ten foot apart.
I think there is a lot in that. Do people have experience of weighing up risks? Is cause and effect understood, or the idea that actions have consequences? How can society be both permissive and risk averse?

However how many people think "it will never happen to me" and then when it does, squeal that it is someone else's fault?

Twenty years of ads saying 'Where there's a blame there's a claim' will cause that mind set.

In the past, during flu season, old folk would naturally avoid public transport or big crowded shops/areas because they wanted to reduce the risk of picking up the lurgies.
Washing hands, coughing into a hanky, generally keeping clean when out and about, having a full larder, and Plan B's. The old folk do not need to be told what to do they have common sense.

We normally have a big family meal at my house, but this year our remaining parents are all keeping our distance and doing it virtually. Their choice, not ours.

We might meet up for a walk in the park instead. It's all about risk management and personal responsibility.

Blogg

LE
"So when we visit my Mum on Boxing Day, what are the rules?"

Said I was not entirely sure and it's likely to change but as far as I knew:

1. Blood relatives only. That rules out, say, sons in law, so no "we" in it.

2. Anyway Rule of six applies. Six hours including return journey time and that is it.

3. No physical presents or cards: risk of viral transmission too great

4. Have to meet and eat outdoors with full social distancing, masks etc.

Doubtful looks

"Are you making this up?"

The very idea....

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
That's because the Boxing Day holiday will be on Monday 27th due to the 26th being a Sunday.

I think you'll find the 26th is a Saturday.

Maple

LE
Yep, we've given so much to get this close to getting a vaccine,some have given all,but as they gave BLM(other stupid groups are aviable)free rein it was never going to be any thing else tbh,short of getting every service man (and stab) to be made a special over christmas, for every person who does the right thing there will be dozens who don't.
How the hell did you slip a reference to BLM in there? Have you finished with that copy of the Daily mail? The cat litter tray needs re-lining.....

How the hell did you slip a reference to BLM in there? Have you finished with that copy of the Daily mail? The cat litter tray needs re-lining.....
i did say other misguided groups were on offer, i note that anti mask/lockdown protester( who i disagree with) are being lifted on protest when other protests had free rein at the hight of it all.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
People batting on about visiting their relatives...but perfectly OK to mix in supermarkets and other retail places with thousands of strangers. My Mum and Dad are 78 and 84 respectively both know they haven't got long to go and are extremely fed up with spending their final amount of time locked up. They know the risks, they also realise that they have had a good life and accept that they could die of anything from flu to cardiac arrest at any moment.
Are you going to pass quickly bu your relatives whilst wearing a mask and staying as distant from them as is practical and wash your hands? Thats what you should be doing when you to a supermarket to reduce the risk of you passing an infection along.

If people had followed the rules we would not be where we are. Its because smart arses decided that they knew better and it was OK to spread the disease that we have such a high infection rate now. The majority have suffered because of a selfish minority.

Are you going to pass quickly bu your relatives whilst wearing a mask and staying as distant from them as is practical and wash your hands? Thats what you should be doing when you to a supermarket to reduce the risk of you passing an infection along.

If people had followed the rules we would not be where we are. Its because smart arses decided that they knew better and it was OK to spread the disease that we have such a high infection rate now. The majority have suffered because of a selfish minority.
Or we now see higher infection rates as we are testing more people...

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There's nothing wrong with the rule that says you can sit in the pub to eat and drink, but it's too risky to just sit and drink.

It's safer to tip all those low risk punters out the door at the same time too.
Its not the food that's the issue it the behaviour of people. Admitting you don't understand that makes you look a bit silly. I suspect you do understand it but it doesn't't suit your narrative to address the real issue.

I tend to agree on your second point.

Its not the food that's the issue it the behaviour of people. Admitting you don't understand that makes you look a bit silly. I suspect you do understand it but it doesn't suit your narrative to address the real issue.
What is the real issue?

Latest Threads