Crushed finger and gross nail!

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by The_Cheat, Feb 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, About 5 days ago the end of my finger got crushed playing rugby. Its been sore and very swollen for a few days but nothing major. I've been contemplating lancing it with a hot needle but as it wasn't very bad I thought I'd leave it. I don't think it's broken but here's the rub...

The nail is going to come off. It bled for a little bit a few mins ago and the swelling (thank fuck) has gone down by about 50%. However it now looks like there is air under my nail. I'm pretty sure my nail will fall of so what do I do? Do you help it along? leave it as long as I can? And do I encourage it to bleed further to 'get it all out'?

Thanks all,

T C

PS- That entire post, and all of mine for the last or so days, have all been
    one handed!

Edit- 1000 posts! woo hoo!

2. PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!!!

3. Haha, Should have got some last week when it was really bad! At one point the end of my 4th finger was bigger than my thumb... it was emotional.

T C

4. Lance it (two holes with hot needle) there's no nerve endings in your finger nails so it doesn't hurt.....at least mine didn't. :D

It'll grow back, no drama.

5. until you overshoot and plunge a white hot needle into your nail bed which DOES have nerve-endings and will hurt like fcuk!

If it has bled it will have released the pressure so the pain will lessen, but i'd leave WELL alone, the nail is still protecting the soft tissues of the nail bed from further damage.
    If you absolutely MUST take it off because its catching on clothes and ripping, get it removed properly,under sterile conditions (your GP may be able to do it) to prevent introducing infection into your nail bed.

6. PS Instead of a needle,try heating the end of an unfolded metal paper clip. The heat will let it penetrate your nail, but it has a flat end so less chance of damage to the nail bed, more chance of stopping it as it goes through the inner face of the nail

7. Thanks for the advice all! I'm going to leave it as long as I can!

T C

8. you're a BLOKE! You KNOW you'll fiddle and twiddle and pick at it, you won't be able to stop yourself :D

9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Why do the British pay billions for a National Health Service ... and then not bother to use it?

Could one suggest a visit to a doctor ?
    Or is this a sympathy seeking exercise [note the Rugby connection] designed to enhance your popularity with the opposite sex [BB excluded, of course 8) ].

10. I'm afraid its neither. I could have easily gone to my GP and got this done but I chose not to purely because I think both him and I would have better things to do. If it had started to turn green etc or get bad then I'd be all over the NHS but as it is only minor I thought I'd let them get on with the fattys and alco's.

And it can't hurt to let the lay-dees know I play rugby! (Honestly just didn't want people thinking it was a football boot!)

T C

11. unless he's Chabal (swoon) he ain't got a chance! Bunch of bleedin' pretty boys, rugby players these days!!

12. blue-sophist

Pretty in your eyes maybe, but I see nothing attractive in a 6ft 7in, 19 1/2 stone of unshaven man-mountain.

[Or woman-mountain, come to that ... shaven or otherwise :wink: ]

BTW ... bold decision, TC.
    Do tell us when it goes gangrenous and drops off :lol:

13. Aye will do!

If you want I can post the blackened nub to ye!

T C

14. Some people spoil all the fun..... :p

15. blue-sophist

You were looking forward to the first live amputation on ARRSE, presumably? 8O