Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croydon shooting

Now I’m not religious in the slightest and I’m not supporting her view, but I’m guessing the fundamental Christian principle of forgiveness has kind of passed you by?

One of many Christian values, just like one that tells us " thou shalt not kill "

pc flaps

Old-Salt
Now I’m not religious in the slightest and I’m not supporting her view, but I’m guessing the fundamental Christian principle of forgiveness has kind of passed you by?

It hasn't passed me by, but do you not think that such comments might have better not been made on a day like today at a time of high emotion? At the best they're insensitive.

It’s called forgiveness.

Apparently it brings people back to life and all the world‘s problems go away. I once was forced to read a book about it and some guy did it. It was on a Friday, he took the weekend off and bingo, there he was, back on the Monday morning.
It's probably for another thread, but I'm guessing that being able to forgive, even in cases like this, is better for folks than living with a raging hatred all your life, unable to find closure.

Not sure I could do it mind and it's far too soon in this case for the church or anyone else to be banging on about it. I doubt you could convince them of that though.

It hasn't passed me by, but do you not think that such comments might have better not been made on a day like today at a time of high emotion? At the best they're insensitive.
Agreed, but she's only following her script, I'd have been surprised if she'd said anything else. Bad timing for JC and his disciples.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I have no idea what METPOL are up to nowadays, but we in Thames Valley in the eighties, *always* searched after arrest and *everybody* was handcuffed, even shoplifters and drunken women.
I'd have thought especially drunken women.

One of many Christian values, just like one that tells us " thou shalt not kill "

<checks still posting on Arrse>

What, like “thou shall not covet thy neighbour’s wife”?

Now before anyone goes off on an inappropriate humour rant, it kinda illustrates the elasticity of modern morals?

I‘m no religious nut, in fact religion has killed more people over the years than pretty much anything else and arguably the world would be a better place without it but The 10 Commandments are a pretty reasonable template for living a decent life for yourself and your fellow man.

It's probably for another thread, but I'm guessing that being able to forgive, even in cases like this, is better for folks than living with a raging hatred all your life, unable to find closure.

Not sure I could do it mind and it's far too soon in this case for the church or anyone else to be banging on about it. I doubt you could convince them of that though.

Seconded

Sorry if this repeats an earlier post. The BBC R4 news said there was a suggestion of the attacker being known to Counter Terrorism officers.

Terrible news. Not a lot one can say other than RIP.

Strange that the local MP (Labour) interviewed earlier said although it had it’s problems it was a basically friendly area and that the local were shocked at the shooting.

ETA Chris Powell in his interview also said the suspect may not have even been from Croydon as suspects are often taking to holding centres for processing from other areas.

Croydon and friendly area in the same sentence???

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I'd have thought especially drunken women.

Just off topic for a minute.

1) A colleague of mine arrested a woman for drunk and disorderly, he was single crewed and she was placed in the rear of the vehicle on the passenger side as was standard. During the drive she removed a stiletto and smashed into his head. He crashed the vehicle and was taken to hospital. He came back to work two weeks later and was written up for failure to adhere to force policy.

He was fined, but he didn't do it again.

2) The order of scariness when attending a house disturbance, was drunken women, dogs and angry men in that order.

<checks still posting on Arrse>

What, like “thou shall not covet thy neighbour’s wife”?

It's a bit sexist and homophobic, love thy neighbour, but thou shall not covet thy neighbours wife

What if the neighbour has a husband rather than a wife?

It wouldn't get past the PC brigade these days, the lesbians would be up in arms

Just off topic for a minute.

1) A colleague of mine arrested a woman for drunk and disorderly, he was single crewed and she was placed in the rear of the vehicle on the passenger side as was standard. During the drive she removed a stiletto and smashed into his head. He crashed the vehicle and was taken to hospital. He came back to work two weeks later and was written up for failure to adhere to force policy.

He was fined, but he didn't do it again.

2) The order of scariness when attending a house disturbance, was drunken women, dogs and angry men in that order.
It would appear that the consent bit of 'Policing by Consent' is being withdrawn by some - perhaps the Police could apply Enforcement rules to them.

(I know that's not how it works by definition but it would be good....)

Croydon and friendly area in the same sentence???
Probably was when men wore flat hats, baggy trousers and said Gor Blimey Guv’nor!

BBC reporting that the suspects detail have not been released until his family who live overseas are contacted.
Apart from that a standard report.
ETA For suspect substitute custody sergeant. My bad. Mea culpa.

Last edited:
It never went away, but an arrest search prior to transport can never be as thorough as a full search in custody where the Sgt can also authorise a strip search.

The facts need to be determined calmly and logically. At the end of the day only one person is responsible for this, the one pulling the trigger.

Thank you, I've been trying to put into words what you've said. Something catastrophic and tragic went wrong.

Latest Threads