Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croydon shooting

I have known both Serbs and Croats living in the UK. Do they ever get into confrontations with each other over here?

Couldn't they just become Celtic or Rangers supporters and just blend into the sectarian conflicts of the indigenous population

I have known both Serbs and Croats living in the UK. Do they ever get into confrontations with each other over here?
Depends on the circumstances I guess. If one fled because the neighbours put fire to thatch, you might have a chip on your shoulder. If OTOH you came over relatively untouched then perhaps not.
What doesn't help is that they are cliquey.
There is a Croat sports centre in Adelaide, bet no Serbs go there.

They are all like it.
Serb stories of Croat and Bosnian atrocities are legion. They point out that both sided with the Nazis.

Interesting, I went out with a girl whose father was a Brigadier and during the war, he was parachuted into Yugoslavia to liaise with Mihailovic who was a Royalist and commanded the Chetniks. Apparently these did fight and attack the Germans but because Tito was a communist he was given all of the credit by the British intelligence in Cairo, who at that time had been infiltrated by one of the communist Russian sympathisers
Cambridge Five - Wikipedia
and no credit was given to Mihailovic. This from one of the wiki entries (funnily enough the Mihailovic entry on wiki contains no record of this )
This is from the Officer with Mihailovic " In July 1943 Armstrong, a professional soldier, who had served in WW1 and won the MC in 1919 fighting in Russia against the Bolshevics, was appointed Brigadier in command of the SOE sponsored Military Mission to the Chetniks,[1] a Serbian nationalist and royalist force led by General Draža Mihailović, and one of the principal resistance movements in Axis occupied Yugoslavia.[9] According to some sources, he was carefully selected for this mission because of his lack of political contacts.
Whereas Fitzroy Maclean, the liaison officer, coincidentally was a Cambridge graduate.
The United Kingdom had provided substantial supplies to Yugoslav Communist forces who opposed the Chetniks, while the BBC repeatedly gave the Communist forces credit for the anti-Axis actions of Chetniks, especially during September and October 1943.[13] For example, when Chetniks attacked the German garrison in Prijepolje on 11 September, killed 200 German soldiers and captured the town, the BBC credited Tito's Communist Partisans with the victory "
Sadly he was dead before I met his daughter but I know he was very unhappy at the massive lies told about the Chetniks activities being unreported despite his reports stating this and said that the partisans under Tito often attacked the Chetniks.
Coincidentally along with the Polish chap who had fought at Monte Cassino, I met a former Chetnik who had fought under Mihailovic and he had similar stories and had had to flee to Italy to avoid being shot.

Interesting, I went out with a girl whose father was a Brigadier and during the war, he was parachuted into Yugoslavia to liaise with Mihailovic who was a Royalist and commanded the Chetniks. Apparently these did fight and attack the Germans but because Tito was a communist he was given all of the credit by the British intelligence in Cairo, who at that time had been infiltrated by one of the communist Russian sympathisers
and no credit was given to Mihailovic. This from one of the wiki entries (funnily enough the Mihailovic entry on wiki contains no record of this )
This is from the Officer with Mihailovic " In July 1943 Armstrong, a professional soldier, who had served in WW1 and won the MC in 1919 fighting in Russia against the Bolshevics, was appointed Brigadier in command of the SOE sponsored Military Mission to the Chetniks,[1] a Serbian nationalist and royalist force led by General Draža Mihailović, and one of the principal resistance movements in Axis occupied Yugoslavia.[9] According to some sources, he was carefully selected for this mission because of his lack of political contacts.
Whereas Fitzroy Maclean, the liaison officer, coincidentally was a Cambridge graduate.
The United Kingdom had provided substantial supplies to Yugoslav Communist forces who opposed the Chetniks, while the BBC repeatedly gave the Communist forces credit for the anti-Axis actions of Chetniks, especially during September and October 1943.[13] For example, when Chetniks attacked the German garrison in Prijepolje on 11 September, killed 200 German soldiers and captured the town, the BBC credited Tito's Communist Partisans with the victory "
Sadly he was dead before I met his daughter but I know he was very unhappy at the massive lies told about the Chetniks activities being unreported despite his reports stating this and said that the partisans under Tito often attacked the Chetniks.
Coincidentally along with the Polish chap who had fought at Monte Cassino, I met a former Chetnik who had fought under Mihailovic and he had similar stories and had had to flee to Italy to avoid being shot.

Interesting. The ex army int chap I met was of the opinion that The Chetniks played both sides and were particularly anti communist. Furthermore, there were attempts by the British to minimise communist influence in the Balkans. We certainly weren't pro communist in Greece .

Indeed: it's the only bit of the world where I've had half a house brick hoyed at me coupon 'cos I'd waved in the incorrect ethnic manner :rolleyes:
That's nothing, driving through one of the Croatian towns, I happened to catch the eye of some Croat squaddie ( I was looking left at a crossroads I think). The nutter responded by lifted his AK into the air and emptying his mag.
We had been there for a few months by then, so I guess he had a right to be a bit pissed off.

Why not edit his Wiki entry yourself?

That's nothing, driving through one of the Croatian towns, I happened to catch the eye of some Croat squaddie ( I was looking left at a crossroads I think). The nutter responded by lifted his AK into the air and emptying his mag.
We had been there for a few months by then, so I guess he had a right to be a bit pissed off.

Hah! That's nothing. One of the pre-War sCroat mafia bosses, on his return from the front, mounted a Dushka on his flat balcony and would squirt off a few, cheery Friday evening rounds at his pre-War competitor across the town.

Fruit-bat crazy the whole lot of 'em.

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Released without charge? or was it a case of 'arrest the usual suspects' ?

not so
he has been bailed
so he will have to return to answer more questions

Bail

You can be released on bail at the police station after you’ve been charged. This means you will be able to go home until your court hearing.
If you are given bail, you might have to agree to conditions like:
  • living at a particular address
  • not contacting certain people
  • giving your passport to the police so you cannot leave the UK
  • reporting to a police station at agreed times, for example once a week
If you do not stick to these conditions you can be arrested again and be taken to prison to wait for your court hearing.
When you attend your hearing at a magistrates’ court you might be given bail again until your trial begins.

not so
he has been bailed

Bail

You can be released on bail at the police station after you’ve been charged. This means you will be able to go home until your court hearing.
If you do not stick to these conditions you can be arrested again and be taken to prison to wait for your court hearing.
When you attend your hearing at a magistrates’ court you might be given bail again until your trial begins.
Is it like the US of A, someone puts up cash?

not so
he has been bailed

Bail

But not enough on him to prefer charges - hope something will turn up?

This:
960F011B-6849-4105-8CE7-DA876634383F.jpeg

turned up in my mailbox today. Seems like a worthy thing to get behind, rather than the BBC’s usual ‘Heroes’.

Any update on this? is the perp still proper poorly in hospital? or are his injuries so sever he will never be eye balled by a beak in the Old Bailey?

Latest Threads