Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croydon shooting

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Absolutely. In addition to this I was taught never to take your cuffs out til you’re in a position to Immediately apply them. Common issue I’ve seen in recent years. Few things look more ridiculous and are potentially as dangerous than a peeler attempting to chase/grapple/box with an arrested person while gripping a set of open cuffs in one hand.

I know, just basic stuff. I hate watching shows that follow Police around. The crap Police put up with from the POS just makes my blood boil. And their search techniques, not to mention put your f@#$king gloves on! You're searching a druggie and their bag FFS!

The US Army issued a .22LR/.410 combination gun as an aircrew survival gun during WW2. They were made by Savage, though IIRC still had the old Stevens trade name. (Savage bought out Stevens at some point, but retained rights to the company name.)
The guns were not intended for personal protection, more for pilots who came down in remote areas, so they were mainly issued in the Pacific Theater. If aircrews in the European Theater carried anything, it would be a .45

Yup. Hunting small game. More a survival item, although a face full of bird shot from a .410 will definitely deter someone from getting too close.

I see Miss Butler is now praising the police for taking action on tweets that she didn't like in response to this post. Weeks after she was crying for the police to be defunded and trying to get some officers into trouble. What a piece of work.
Screenshot_20200930-125219_Twitter.jpg

exsniffer

Old-Salt
How much of an issue was sectarianism in the balkans before the two world wars?

The Balkans have been a troubled region for centuries, exacerbated by the Ottoman invasions ..
The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand in Sarajevo was the main cause of WW1

The Balkans have been a troubled region for centuries, exacerbated by the Ottoman invasions ..
The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand in Sarajevo was the main cause of WW1

I'm aware of what triggered WWI, it's just at school we weren't told anything about the Balkans before that which rather leaves a gaping lack of context

So it was a genuine question

snip

When I needed to know such things, I once briefed a visiting 2* thus: ' . . . the current conflict (1995) can, simplistically, be viewed as a continuation of the Second Balkan War 1913, followed by a 40-year NAAFI break, Round 2 during the early 40s, followed by a further 40 year NAAFI break. It will continue, at some point. Any questions, sir?'

Similar story - had to do an assessment on Yugslavia in the late 80s.

What would Yugoslavia do in the event of a war in Europe between NATO and Warsaw Pact.

Conclusion? They would fight. Not sure against whether NATO or WPACT - probably both...

Never thought they'd be at each others throats so soon though...

Funny old world eh?

Similar story - had to do an assessment on Yugslavia in the late 80s.

What would Yugoslavia do in the event of a war in Europe between NATO and Warsaw Pact.

Conclusion? They would fight. Not sure against whether NATO or WPACT - probably both...

Never thought they'd be at each others throats so soon though...

Funny old world eh?

Indeed: it's the only bit of the world where I've had half a house brick hoyed at me coupon 'cos I'd waved in the incorrect ethnic manner :rolleyes:

I'm aware of what triggered WWI, it's just at school we weren't told anything about the Balkans before that which rather leaves a gaping lack of context

Have a look at this >> First Balkan War - Wikipedia and then work backwards.
Beware, when you go down the Balkan rabbit hole you are entering an absolute labyrinth, it goes back hundreds of years and ancient hatreds are still very strong.
My excursion came about when my daughter asked me why an assassination in Sarajevo triggered a world war and it took me a couple of years to finally figure it out.
Makes Northern Ireland look simple.

Have a look at this >> First Balkan War - Wikipedia and then work backwards.
Beware, when you go down the Balkan rabbit hole you are entering an absolute labyrinth, it goes back hundreds of years and ancient hatreds are still very strong.
My excursion came about when my daughter asked me why an assassination in Sarajevo triggered a world war and it took me a couple of years to finally figure it out.
Makes Northern Ireland look simple.
Makes Norn Iron look civilised.

Especially the goings on at Jasenovac which made Auschwitz seem almost humane.
I had a Croatian girlfriend years back and the vitriol she showed to Serbs etc was too much.
They are all like it.
Serb stories of Croat and Bosnian atrocities are legion. They point out that both sided with the Nazis.

Especially the goings on at Jasenovac which made Auschwitz seem almost humane.
I had a Croatian girlfriend years back and the vitriol she showed to Serbs etc was too much.

I was over there on an exercise last year and the croatian soldiers attached to us made no secret of their contempt for Serbs (and Russians), there was much mumbling and spitting in the pre ex brief when it was revealed it was basically Serbia invading Croatia (named as Atropia of course)

pc flaps

Old-Salt

Misha Glenny's book on the Balkans comes highly recommended from me if you're interested. Has a mountain of detail about the 18th & 19th centuries in the region.

Misha Glenny's book on the Balkans comes highly recommended from me if you're interested. Has a mountain of detail about the 18th & 19th centuries in the region.

I’m going to have to stop coming on ARRSE - the bookshelves in my small study are nearly all double deep and I doubt I’ll ever get round to them all before my liver gives out.

Cheers for the recommendation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pc flaps

Old-Salt
I’m going to have to stop coming on ARRSE - the bookshelves in my small study are nearly all double deep and I doubt I’ll ever get round to them all before my liver gives out.

Same. I've got a 20+ backlog of books to read, and seemingly bugger all time to read them. "The Death of Yugoslavia" is also good, came out mid 90s as a tie in with a BBC documentary (back when they made serious documentaries without needing to insert wokeisms).

I concur with other posters on here, they've been tearing each other apart for centuries. Only Tito kept a lid on it. There was a thing at Wimbledon (FFS) where Serb fans of some tennis player were singing a cheery song and jumping up and down. This was broadcast several times until a Serbo-Croat speaker phoned the Beeb switchboard and informed them it translated as

"we're going to cut Croat throats
we'll wade in red blood soon"

Which is nice.

Same. I've got a 20+ backlog of books to read, and seemingly bugger all time to read them. "The Death of Yugoslavia" is also good, came out mid 90s as a tie in with a BBC documentary (back when they made serious documentaries without needing to insert wokeisms).

I concur with other posters on here, they've been tearing each other apart for centuries. Only Tito kept a lid on it. There was a thing at Wimbledon (FFS) where Serb fans of some tennis player were singing a cheery song and jumping up and down. This was broadcast several times until a Serbo-Croat speaker phoned the Beeb switchboard and informed them it translated as

"we're going to cut Croat throats
we'll wade in red blood soon"

Which is nice.

And also racist if they didn't take the knee and shout black lives matter

Same here.

I cheated, however, and got the Kindle edition!

Latest Threads