Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croydon shooting

I don't quite agree, this bloke shot a copper 5 times and then tried to shoot himself whilst in Custody. Derek was next to someone who killed a copper and got convicted and hanged for it. Other than both resulting in a murdered police officer, I don't see many parallels.
Police officer shot and killed in Croydon, none since the two cases. The perp jumped off a roof may have been attempt at his own life, perp did not swing due to age.

Handschar Division, recruited in the Balkans and mainly used in anti partisan duties. Real nasty bastards, and people in that part of the world have long memories.

How much of an issue was sectarianism in the balkans before the two world wars?

Watch: Police officers doused in petrol as crowd shouts 'light them up'
This is the horrific moment eight police officers were doused in petrol as a crowd shouted "light them up" as they tried to arrest a dangerous driver.

From the LBC website. Some little bastard in Essex has got 3 years for pouring a watering can of petrol over some officers arresting one of his scabby mates . I see from the film that one of the officers clacked him over the with his baton and complaints are being made.

That’s why I’m not, and never could be a copper. Pour petrol over me or my colleagues while your mates dance around shouting “light them up “ and I wouldn’t hit him once: I’d smash his skull open ‘til the gooey stuff came out. I don’t and never have had their astonishing restraint.

Magnets will only pick up iron, nickel, cobalt, gadolinium, neodymium and samarium.
I thought only iron, nickel and cobalt exhibited ferromagnetic behaviour at room temperature? Neodymium etc. only really being any use when used in a ferromagnetic alloy or cooled really, really cold?

NSP

LE
Didn't the Nazis have a Waffen SS division made up of Muslims?
Ja!! The SS Handschar.

They weren't brown-skinned Muslims, though, so they were acceptable to the regime. Croats, mostly, if I remember my history lessons correctly.

How much of an issue was sectarianism in the balkans before the two world wars?
I dunno. The Balkans was always a bit dodgy, ethnic tensions would have reared an ugly head I suppose. Although I was told when I was out there, that most of the different religions etc got on reasonably well. Started to change after Tito died.

I dunno. The Balkans was always a bit dodgy, ethnic tensions would have reared an ugly head I suppose. Although I was told when I was out there, that most of the different religions etc got on reasonably well. Started to change after Tito died.
Well he didn't have a leg to stand on...

Expends I thought only iron, nickel and cobalt exhibited ferromagnetic behaviour at room temperature? Neodymium etc. only really being any use when used in a ferromagnetic alloy or cooled really, really cold?
I think it depends on the size of the magnet. A really powerful one will attract copper (as well as sucking the nails out of the studwalls).

Maoris are a BAME.
I haven’t seen any rioting or ‘kinetic shopping’ yet, perhaps Lewis Hamilton hasn’t heard.

we could do with those massive fellas over here for a few weeks
imagine the usual lot of protestors/suspects kicking off, when faced with that, and then the Maoris wading in cracking a few heads
be nice to see the scum take to their feet and disperse
Even some of these boys, you don't see them giving an hour and a half of reasons why they can't do their job.

Tito was the only Person Stalin feared and Stalin was merely a continuance of Tsarist pan slavism . Croats ISTR were fiercely nationlistic . It’s been heard before even with the Ossies that they preferred communism. Democracy is hard work. So’s thinking.
But it’s always struck me as odd in the run up to the Great War that we never seemed to be outraged at the assassination of the heir to theAustrian throne As we should have been. Wilhelm who was paranoid had fairly understandable reaction. But if that had happened to us there would have been hell to pay. As it was that’s what happened.

A good datum would be 1389 and the Battle of Kosovo Polje (Field of Blackbirds) which, effectively, saw the flower of the prominent Serb nation wiped out at the hands of the Ottoman Empire:

Having said that, the internecine conflict has roots further back in time.

Serb nationalism holds that they, as a nation, sacrificed everything to hold back the Muslim hordes, only to be left in isolation thereafter.

It's interesting to note that Bosnian Muslims are not of Turkic origin (for the most part) but descendants of forcibly converted indigenous peoples - hence why one of the derogatory descriptors for them is 'The Blue-Eyed Muslims'.

When I needed to know such things, I once briefed a visiting 2* thus: ' . . . the current conflict (1995) can, simplistically, be viewed as a continuation of the Second Balkan War 1913, followed by a 40-year NAAFI break, Round 2 during the early 40s, followed by a further 40 year NAAFI break. It will continue, at some point. Any questions, sir?'

Deepest appa loggies for the Fred Riff.

Last edited:
we could do with those massive fellas over here for a few weeks
imagine the usual lot of protestors/suspects kicking off, when faced with that, and then the Maoris wading in cracking a few heads
be nice to see the scum take to their feet and disperse

They're not that hench, I saw one Maori professional rugby player carried off by a gaggle of drunk horny milfs

(To be fair I wouldn't have been putting up any resistance either the lucky bar steward)

Last edited:
Maoris are a BAME.
I haven’t seen any rioting or ‘kinetic shopping’ yet, perhaps Lewis Hamilton hasn’t heard.
Maybe because Maoris may be a BAME but are not considered as Black?
Or he was a copper or Whitey wasn’t involved?

Bodenplatte

War Hero
FOC.

You see them at auction occasionally. Excellent for training young shooters when walking around the bush.
The US Army issued a .22LR/.410 combination gun as an aircrew survival gun during WW2. They were made by Savage, though IIRC still had the old Stevens trade name. (Savage bought out Stevens at some point, but retained rights to the company name.)
The guns were not intended for personal protection, more for pilots who came down in remote areas, so they were mainly issued in the Pacific Theater. If aircrews in the European Theater carried anything, it would be a .45