Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croydon shooting

What about a BFO Magnet, hand held, no batteries required. That would stick to anything made of metal even through the clothing...
Magnets will only pick up iron, nickel, cobalt, gadolinium, neodymium and samarium. Most stainless steels won’t stick to a magnet either. They also turn folks with pacemakers blue.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Snake shot.
Is that a Saffa thing ? and do you eat the snake and does it taste like chicken and are we there yet and ach plees daddi will ya take us to the drive in.......

The general principle should be that anyone putting themselves in harm's way to safeguard the public has the right to do whatever's reasonable to keep everyone involved safe. Personal dignity or cultural sensitivity should not be an issue if the test of reasonableness is met; particularly so if ammunition or a blade is involved.

alas, that would require leaders and leadership, leaders who actually care about the people they lead and put doing the job before scoring woke political brownie points.

alas, Cressida Dick is not a unique example of the current utterly useless Police non leadership.

I see your point. I was referring more to challenging societal norms and filling kids’ heads with woke nonsense.
Like many jobs, unless you’re observing covertly, the true picture is never apparent, eg: kids are never ärses when their parents are sitting at the back of the room and the tales they take home are frequently böllocks.

Is that a Saffa thing ? and do you eat the snake and does it taste like chicken and are we there yet and ach plees daddi will ya take us to the drive in.......

Think los Yanquis also do it. You can get it in .22 rimfire from CCI as a standard long cartridge with birdshot and a blue plastic cap. My dad used it on rats and mice in the roof when I was a kid and I've carried it for snakes in the bush. Never used it on them, preferring to just let them go on by.

Probably be a good non lethal round too, but it'll mess up the perp's eyes no doubt and sting like shit.

ETA: Snake is more like crocodile, the texture of slightly rubbery fish with a bland fish/chicken flavour. Not unlike fish fingers.

Last edited:
Like many jobs, unless you’re observing covertly, the true picture is never apparent, eg: kids are never ärses when their parents are sitting at the back of the room and the tales they take home are frequently böllocks.

Except in the case I was referring to, my own daughter. I was called in to school and boned in by said teacher. I asked her if my daughter’s version of the teacher’s conduct was accurate and the teacher freely admitted it, and IMHO took quite some pleasure in sneeringly doing so.

Except in the case I was referring to, my own daughter. I was called in to school and boned in by said teacher. I asked her if my daughter’s version of the teacher’s conduct was accurate and the teacher freely admitted it, and IMHO took quite some pleasure in sneeringly doing so.
Fair enough. Every strata of society has it’s share of ärseholes, though you don’t see many down in the lower levels...

Fair enough. Every strata of society has it’s share of ärseholes, though you don’t see many down in the lower levels...

Absolutely. For balance, I’ve put two daughters through the place over 12 years. Both have received excellent education and a rounded outlook on life as well as a strong sense of right and wrong. The youngest has had a few problems and has received unstinting care, guidance and compassionate support.

That, for me at least, makes it all the more disappointing that several of the teachers there are clearly intent on teaching kids what (they think) the kids should think rather than teach the kids how to think and let the kids formulate their own views.

It’s always good to see people trying to come up with solutions to difficult problems and although nothing workable has been mentioned yet ARRSE really does have the answer. All that needs to happen is those ARRSERs who know it all go on the streets and work for the Police, invaluable service knowing everything about everything and everyone - what they are doing, what they are carrying, what they are thinking. Not forgetting their secondary superpower of hindsight. How the Police have done without such ARRSErs arrogance over the years is beyond me.

Come on Phot Ex, John G (insert irrelevant arsèhole hear), do your bit or are you too scared?

It’s always good to see people trying to come up with solutions to difficult problems and although nothing workable has been mentioned yet ARRSE really does have the answer. All that needs to happen is those ARRSERs who know it all go on the streets and work for the Police, invaluable service knowing everything about everything and everyone - what they are doing, what they are carrying, what they are thinking. Not forgetting their secondary superpower of hindsight. How the Police have done without such ARRSErs arrogance over the years is beyond me.

It's a funny thing about this and many other countries. Those in post do not represent the sum of the knowledge held within the sum of the retired/ leavers/ Time served etc. There are hundreds of thousands of us out here who are a resource but would no longer fit into the ethos of the services we left, but we are not used as a resource by anyone, in fact I have noted a touch of condescension at times. Frequently the solution is there but one system or another prevents it's implementation by virtue of another set of rules and it has to be said that the Human rights act is right up there. The Irony is that frequently it's far from humane. I am not against the HRA but those who interpret it ( for a sum) do leave the mind somewhat blown.
The fundamental issue is there must be a desire for change and there is none because money is involved.

Cromarty

Old-Salt
It's a funny thing about this and many other countries. Those in post do not represent the sum of the knowledge held within the sum of the retired/ leavers/ Time served etc. There are hundreds of thousands of us out here who are a resource but would no longer fit into the ethos of the services we left, but we are not used as a resource by anyone, in fact I have noted a touch of condescension at times. Frequently the solution is there but one system or another prevents it's implementation by virtue of another set of rules and it has to be said that the Human rights act is right up there. The Irony is that frequently it's far from humane. I am not against the HRA but those who interpret it ( for a sum) do leave the mind somewhat blown.
The fundamental issue is there must be a desire for change and there is none because money is involved.

I retired last Friday after 22 years and completely agree. Sadly the political cowardice and judicial activism has led to the erosion of standards here in Australia as well. Officer safety is an afterthought. Now the offender has all the rights.

My first Defensive Tactics Instructor was brilliant, a TRG Sgt, and i have never forgotten his advice.
Never lie, justify.
If you need to go hands on, do it fast and with force because it's safer for everyone.
If they need handcuffs, always do it to the rear.

I'll leave it there before I sound too much of a throbber.

Vale Sgt Ratana. RIP brother.

Last edited:
You would like to think that would be the case, wouldn’t you.

37 years of military and police life, tells me it’s rarely like that.

Essentially you are expected to do the right thing, but with one hand tied and everyone an after the fact expert who wants to tell you how you should have done it.
Not forgetting the ever present knowledge that senior management, (with the occasional exception) will throw you under the bus rather than back your actions lest they impinge upon their future promotion prospects.

I retired last Friday after 22 years and completely agree. Sadly the political cowardice and judicial activism has led to the erosion of standards here in Australia as well. Officer safety is an afterthought. Now the offender has all the rights.

My first Defensive Tactics Instructor was brilliant, a TRG Sgt, and i have never forgotten his advice.
Never lie, justify.
If you need to go hands on, do it fast and with force because it's safer for everyone.
If they need handcuffs, always do it to the rear.

I'll leave it there before I sound too much of a throbber.

Vale Sgt Ratana. RIP brother.
Absolutely. In addition to this I was taught never to take your cuffs out til you’re in a position to Immediately apply them. Common issue I’ve seen in recent years. Few things look more ridiculous and are potentially as dangerous than a peeler attempting to chase/grapple/box with an arrested person while gripping a set of open cuffs in one hand.

Snake shot.

There was a nice useful gun one of our chaps in the NRP had in the bush the .22/410 rifle

1601388647887.png

How do you know they were inexperienced?

As for “how can you miss a gun” comments, short of doing a strip searched on the streets which is not permitted, you will miss things. You’d be surprised what people can conceal and where they can conceal it.

Indeed. I won't explain what or how, but I've retained a weapon during a search.

This tragic event brings back memories of the killing of another policeman in Croydon and the fall out from the case -

I don't quite agree, this bloke shot a copper 5 times and then tried to shoot himself whilst in Custody. Derek was next to someone who killed a copper and got convicted and hanged for it. Other than both resulting in a murdered police officer, I don't see many parallels.

Latest Threads