Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croydon shooting

Bob65

War Hero
May ought to catch criticism though, for the point made elsewhere on this thread, of cutting the number of police in the early "austerity" years

To be fair to May, given her track record of dyed-in-the-wool authoritarian I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on this specific thing. She would have had any cuts in police forced on her by the beancounters. Not to excuse other instances of weak leadership on her part.

fair enough, but surely being found possession of ammunition, that’s a very serious offence in an of itself, up to 7 years iirc, would be an indicator a firearm was/might be present?
all the correct procedures seem to have been followed, but no one seems to have assumed the suspect represented a maximum threat.
How can you possibly know what was or wasn't assumed.
It's not the critic who counts............

auggie rock

Old-Salt
"A cop cannot touch a persons genitals through clothing."

That's a staggering revelation to me. IN my role as a Customs and Immigration officer I regularly do rub-down protective searches and I get right in there. We are required to say something like "I am going to go right into your groin now, Sir" before we do it, but our system would definitely find a firearm in someone's pants. Very surprised that the police do not have the same procedure in a rub-down.

During the Gaddaffi upheaval one of our security blokes was searched twice by Libyan militia bods and both failed to find his .40 S+W that was stuck down the front of his strides. It was not a big deal if they had found it in this case to be fair - but it shows that if you don't get a bit intimate you can miss stuff.

Underpants bombs were often used by FARC in Columbia. The security forces countered it by having them strip 20-30m away.

Why don't you ask them instead of crayoning over this thread. ;)
Your the one who brought the yellow line into this thread, trying to pretend you are part of the emergency services, perhaps you should have joined the police force after leaving the army?

Slime

LE
Earlier in the thread I mentioned many Labour Party ideas about how the police need to change.
This was relevant as the de facto Met PCC is a Labour mayor.

while a poster tried to deflect by mentioning previous police number cuts by a former Tory government, there is another change that is perhaps also relevant, and that is the move Centralised custody centres.
Boris was behind the move for the Met, but it has happened elsewhere too.

in my local force area the custody centre can be a 90 minute drive for some.

it’s really not rocket science - bullets go in guns
Yes they do. And as has been said many times, there are limitations to what can be done on the street. More detail is done at custody. Where this happened. During the Covid check that seems to precede anything else.
In the criminal world ammunition is worth more than guns to fire it. It is therefore currency and a commodity in its own right.

is another change that is perhaps also relevant, and that is the move Centralised custody centres.
That really would be the last straw. The sheer time wasted to get suspects to custody centres plus the transport issues have to be seen to be believed. Don't like the concept and never have. Plus the arguments are as old as the hills ever since remote Police stations were issues. Policing is time consuming, and there are limits built into pace that are the nub of the Issue.

To be fair to May, given her track record of dyed-in-the-wool authoritarian I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on this specific thing. She would have had any cuts in police forced on her by the beancounters. Not to excuse other instances of weak leadership on her part.
who, honestly, are these armies of beancounters? Departments might have a few management accountants lurking about, but in MOD, these decision are made by senior officers.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
it’s really not rocket science - bullets go in guns
I really think we need to stop speculating, however much we think we know.

That statement may be true, it may also be true that ammunition can be carried separately to weapons. We can't know what happened until the trial is reported, if there is one.

If mistakes were made whoever made them knows that and probably isn't sleeping.

Playing the blame game doesn't help, doesn't look good and won't bring back a good guy.

Your the one who brought the yellow line into this thread, trying to pretend you are part of the emergency services, perhaps you should have joined the police force after leaving the army?
Have you done either or are you content to troll those who have?

Not rounds then?

Was it a muzzle loader?

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

After getting covered in a stabbing victim's blood I was taken home by a couple of Fulham DCs: male and female. They told me to remove my jeans and jacket and had to watch me while I did it - to be fair the female turned her back. She was mainly concerned about the AK 105 that was leaning against my bedroom wall.

Bob65

War Hero
In the criminal world ammunition is worth more than guns to fire it. It is therefore currency and a commodity in its own right.

I was told once that whilst losing an SA80 would be very, very bad for one's career, it actually wasn't that big of a threat because criminals in the UK have no supply chain for 5.56mm. Whether that is true or not I have no idea, but the guy seemed to believe it.

Latest Threads