Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croydon shooting

Anyone “might” be armed.

The arresting officer would explain the circumstances of the arrest to the custody Sgt and request a strip search or having heard the circumstances require one themselves. This request sits at a certain stage in the process, normally at the charge desk, where a wand and a searching officer are present and the arresting officer is a cover officer.

In this case, it appears that the Sgt has come into the holding cell, to carry out the Covid check and the shooting has happened prior to the more in depth search.

Would the suspect still be in cuffs in the holding cell?

In these circumstances, yes for me personally.

Knowing the procedures, as you do, can you see how this could happen, even with those procedures being followed 100%?

Is there something that could be changed? (Besides you being lumped with more kit and ending up wearing Osprey).

It is very easy to 'what if?' and question procedures, processes and individual actions. Maybe it's a way to make sense of this terrible event.
But it looks to me as though procedures were being followed. This has the feel of any of hundreds of arrests that take place across the country every day. And this time it all went horribly, terribly wrong. That doesn't mean someone must have cocked up, it just highlights that sometimes policing is a dangerous job.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
You and I weren’t subject to Section 1 of PACE 84 and the associated Codes of Practise though were we.

How many strip searches did you do on the side of the road, where a persons genitals were exposed to the public?
None - but there was no constraint on being very ‘intimate’ through clothing.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
You and I weren’t subject to Section 1 of PACE 84 and the associated Codes of Practise though were we.

How many strip searches did you do on the side of the road, where a persons genitals were exposed to the public?
None - but there was no constraint on being very ‘intimate’ through clothing.

1601205511530.png

appears to have bottled it on twitter ?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
It would make more sense if it was double yellow lines.
Reminds me of the joke about why traffic wardens wear yellow braces.

So they can lie down on double yellow lines and you can't see them.

Is that my coat with Union Flag lapels? Why thank you.

Knowing the procedures, as you do, can you see how this could happen, even with those procedures being followed 100%?

Is there something that could be changed? (Besides you being lumped with more kit and ending up wearing Osprey).

I can 100% totally understand how this has happened. An incident like this is a 1 in a 10,000 scenario let’s say.

A strip search is a very embarrassing and unpleasant situation for a detainee, who may be innocent as well as not being very pleasant for the officers who have to do it.

A strip search on the street isn’t really practical or in the vast majority of cases necessary.

The DP was apparently handcuffed to the rear, was in a holding cell and had possibly 2 or 3 officers watching him. A strip search was probably the next action after the Covid check.

This one off matter, will not allow strip searches to happen in public, but might allow more money to be invested in metal detection equipment.

If the shooting had happened on the street or in the van, arguments would be raised as to at which point officers should have looked in his pants.

As an aside, when officers strip search a DP, they don’t touch them, the lifting and parting is done by the DP. Even when drugs can be seen hanging out of an ********, officers legally can’t pull them out. That is for the DP or a medically trained person to do, in most cases the DP realised the game is up or it just drops on the floor.

Isn't it the case that the thin blue line is supposed to represent the case that the relatively small amount of police provide the country with a defence of the good against the bad.
If so what does your line mean?
Ask whoever created it, I didn't. ;)

Anyone “might” be armed.

The arresting officer would explain the circumstances of the arrest to the custody Sgt and request a strip search or having heard the circumstances require one themselves. This request sits at a certain stage in the process, normally at the charge desk, where a wand and a searching officer are present and the arresting officer is a cover officer.

In this case, it appears that the Sgt has come into the holding cell, to carry out the Covid check and the shooting has happened prior to the more in depth search.

fair enough, but surely being found possession of ammunition, that’s a very serious offence in an of itself, up to 7 years iirc, would be an indicator a firearm was/might be present?
all the correct procedures seem to have been followed, but no one seems to have assumed the suspect represented a maximum threat.

pc flaps

Old-Salt
Sri Lankan you say? Twenty three Years old I heard.

This points to him being a family member of Sri Lankan's who claimed Asylum here in the UK around 2008 claiming to be members of the Tamil Tigers being persecuted by the Government.

He was probably around 12 or 13 years old when he was brought into the UK by his parents fleeing the evil tyranny of the Sri Lankan Government who were committing some real atrocities against members and associates of the Tamil Tigers.

Hundreds if not thousands 'blagged it' and were granted asylum as Tamil's. Another condemnation of our failed Immigration System.

I lay the blame for this squarely at the foot of ex PMTM who was Home Secretary at the time. The Immigration policies that hamstrung the asylum decision making process were implemented during her watch.

Not defending the hopeless May, but she wasn't Home Sec in 2008, that was the even more useless Jacqui Smith. Truth is, we've had a succession of useless Home Secs since Michael Howard left the job.

May ought to catch criticism though, for the point made elsewhere on this thread, of cutting the number of police in the early "austerity" years, and stopping Bill Bratten becoming Head of the Met. There's a bloke who understands and believes in community policing and would've made a difference.

During the Gaddaffi upheaval one of our security blokes was searched twice by Libyan militia bods and both failed to find his .40 S+W that was stuck down the front of his strides. It was not a big deal if they had found it in this case to be fair - but it shows that if you don't get a bit intimate you can miss stuff.

I‘d wager that a reasonable number of teachers are actively promoting indiscipline.
To be honest mate teachers like discipline. It allows us to do our jobs and function. Lack of discipline will snap you. I can't control the class is the worst thing that we can say to ourselves.

Teachers are mainly caring professionals, liberal in many ways and slightly left / left of centre.
But generally not that lunatic left

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Latest Threads