Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croydon shooting

Latest according to the DM: Sgt Ratana was shot five times in the chest. So I think it's fair to say the ND defence isn't going to fly.

Suspect is in a critical condition from a self inflicted gunshot wound to the neck, not his head as was originally reported.
Not being sick, but this would suggest gun and ammo were in good working order, not some relic from a garden shed or do it yourself conversion of some sort, ammo not refilled in kitchen from WW2 cases?

Not being sick, but this would suggest gun and ammo were in good working order, not some relic from a garden shed or do it yourself conversion of some sort, ammo not refilled in kitchen from WW2 cases?

I'll let coppers etc field that one. But given the number of shootings between rival gangs, it seems that weapons in reasonable working order are readily available if one knows the right(wrong)sort of chap and have enough cash.

Mental health issues being floated already.
Yep. That's why I hope the ****** dies: if he survives, he'll get sectioned; will spend the next x years in relative comfort, with people trying to 'find the goodness' in him; having mental health assessments, receiving underserved sympathy from the do gooders, etc.

A Maori. So, unless the gunman was also a Maori, this qualifies as a hate crime, therefore extra time on the sentence.

Wouldn't the CPS have to prove that the suspect was motivate by hatred of Maoris? It's more likely the suspect simply wanted to kill a copper and it was just Sgt Ratana's bad luck he was in the room with him.

Good point, although that could be the type of weapon used by the attacker. The sale of obsolete calibre weapons is going to be banned before long, I should imagine.
Would be nice for the cylinders to be rebored and rechambered for the .454 Casull.

I'll let coppers etc field that one. But given the number of shootings between rival gangs, it seems that weapons in reasonable working order are readily available if one knows the right(wrong)sort of chap and have enough cash.
The NCA National Strategic Assessment report for 2020 says this. If low level dealers like the arrested man are carrying, then there is an issue, even if the weapons are mostly used to intimidate, or in gang vs gang conflict):

1601145755778.png

1601145793495.png

1601145873053.png

View attachment 507372
Poignant photo, an ex-copper mourning the death of a mate both from a different generation of policing and the current generation of 5ft women in glasses watching on in the background.

Yes, but the officer looking on can pass the on-line psychometric testing. If the gentleman laying the flowers were to attempt that test nowadays, there's a fair to middling chance he would fail.

And he managed to achieve all of the above despite being autistic, allegedly.
Autism is a vast spectrum. My wife and eldest are both autistic. My wife has a masters degree in physics (with theoretical physics) and has trained as a barrister (looking for pupilage now if anyone knows anyone).

My son is still in school, he is crap at writing, great at reading, can remember every fact he has ever been told on subjects he cars about and is doing mathematics about 8 months ahead of where he should be....

Yes, but the officer looking on can pass the on-line psychometric testing. If the gentleman laying the flowers were to attempt that test nowadays, there's a fair to middling chance he would fail.

Question 1: You're patrolling a vibrant and diverse part of the City and you spot two youths dealing drugs and both have knives, which knee would you kneel down on?

Let's not mention that it was the Tories who slashed police numbers since they gained power and are only now waking up to the fact that we could actually do with some more (but still not up to pre Tory govt. levels.
Lets not mention that is was Labour that left the country deeply in debt, their chancellor left a note saying there was no money left and Labour promised deep cuts.

Question 1: You're patrolling a vibrant and diverse part of the City and you spot two youths dealing drugs and both have knives, which knee would you kneel down on?
Left to the ground right up, allowing me to place my right elbow on the inside of the right knee/thigh, to stabilise the taser...

This is what I love about ARRSE, the first hand forensic knowledge of some posters.

Latest Threads