Croydon Accent

I'm not feeling the love for Croydon here :eek:

ugly

LE
I'm not feeling the love for Croydon here :eek:
I worked for two years as the maintenance manager for the trams in Croydon, New Addington after dark was scarier than West Belfast as an 18 year old.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Used to have a girlfriend who had a flat along the road from the station near the magistrates' court and Fairfield Halls. That was lovely and quiet, as there was usually a police presence not too far away.

Got a former colleague who lives just two streets away and he in recent years has been full of stories about gang fights between Eastern European gangs in the Whitgift Centre - which is a shame; 20-odd years ago it was a nice venue.

New Addington? No thanks.

At least at the shopping centre you've got hidden entrances to get away from any stabby stabby types

Used to have a girlfriend who had a flat along the road from the station near the magistrates' court and Fairfield Halls. That was lovely and quiet, as there was usually a police presence not too far away.

Got a former colleague who lives just two streets away and he in recent years has been full of stories about gang fights between Eastern European gangs in the Whitgift Centre - which is a shame; 20-odd years ago it was a nice venue.

New Addington? No thanks.
As a long term inmate of the Borough it's pretty much like anywhere else inside the M25. Some good, some bad and some pretty much indifferent.
The Whitgift centre has pretty much little wow factor seeing as it's going to be demolished sooner rather than later, which is obviously of great attraction to the Warsaw Pact (Southern front) refugees. If watching rehoused but still under nourished Romanian dwarfs kicking off is your thing, head to the upper level, possibly a threat en masse to a dachshund, but otherwise of little concern. Shit haircuts, New romantic jeans and weapons grade acne.
West Croydon: IQ80 ish central. Life for many consists of looking at the upper deck of a passing double decker bus shortly after school chucking out time and trying to suss out who is passing through their yard. Normal folk would call it a bus route but then who mentioned normal... By the time they've worked this out, and no way am I saying there's a possible similarity in appearance between the pavement and bus borne types- plus trying to comprehend a 6 or 7 number and letters postcode it's time to swamp the chicken shops where good old Johny Chogie cheerfully adds special sauce for free, two squirts extra for an insult.
Tomorrow we shall vist the south of the Borough. Bet you cnuts can't wait.

Everything North of Station Road/Tamworth Road is fucking shit. Think Aleppo, but every other shop offers an unlocking service for your stolen mobile.

That was the front line during the rioting in 2011. There was no looting or damage South of that 'DMZ'

South of that line it is not too bad. It ain't Shang-ri-lah, but it's definitely not a shithole.

And we have trams, so that angry residents of New Addington can travel out of their ghetto and have racist rants at anyone Polish or wearing a hajib.
When a town 100+ miles from Tamworth names a road after Tamworth you know they’ve abandoned hope.

Worth spending extra dough on a Gatwick Express ticket, it doesn’t stop there.

For a contract, I lived in Thornton Heath a suburb of Croydon for a while, now that was some shit hole....
My claim to fame (apart from an impressive filmography) is that I was born in Croydon. I was also the first member of my family in history to be born in a hospital. It was the early 60s and I suspect the place was full of Irish immigrants like my parents so the Croydon accent was probably Tipperaryish. We tunnelled out within months and moved to the leafy suburbs of Manchester.

Of course there's always some cúnt that will do one better than you and my best mate in primary school was born in Bulwayo, Rhodesia. It's like Croydon but with fewer POCs.

My claim to fame (apart from an impressive filmography) is that I was born in Croydon. I was also the first member of my family in history to be born in a hospital. It was the early 60s and I suspect the place was full of Irish immigrants like my parents so the Croydon accent was probably Tipperaryish. We tunnelled out within months and moved to the leafy suburbs of Manchester.

Of course there's always some cúnt that will do one better than you and my best mate in primary school was born in Bulwayo, Rhodesia. It's like Croydon but with fewer POCs.
I grew up in Dorset and it was always the northern lads who had moved down who had the tales of violence and my patch was more violent than your patch....in their case they were probably right

And immigrants didn't exist growing up apart from Indian Takeaways where it was the parents who were foreign born, and the people running it often had Brummie accents and tried to fake sounding foreign to be more authentic

The first real foreigners I saw I must have been about 14 when some French exchange students turn up at the school smoking and drinking and generally getting away with things we couldn't

For a contract, I lived in Thornton Heath a suburb of Croydon for a while, now that was some shit hole

The only good thing was a Jewish bakery open 24hrs with rather nice cakes
On the Mitcham Road? Bought fresh bread, straight from the oven, on my way home off night duty.

Offa

War Hero
I grew up in Dorset and it was always the northern lads who had moved down who had the tales of violence and my patch was more violent than your patch....in their case they were probably right

And immigrants didn't exist growing up apart from Indian Takeaways where it was the parents who were foreign born, and the people running it often had Brummie accents and tried to fake sounding foreign to be more authentic

The first real foreigners I saw I must have been about 14 when some French exchange students turn up at the school smoking and drinking and generally getting away with things we couldn't
I'm with you, loki. Growing up in southwest, anybody from southeast was a cockney and up north started at Birmingham. But all southwest accents and dialects were distinctive and quite easy to tell apart. However, the army was a massive education....

On the Mitcham Road? Bought fresh bread, straight from the oven, on my way home off night duty.
Might have been, I was staying in shitty B&B's who's sole saving grave was they were cheap, the kind of place they put boiling water in a cup, and leave you a sachet of nescafe...that kind of attention to detail for breakfast

And you got the impression some rooms were rented by the hour, it wasn't a pleasant place to be but I'm sure London in general is a lot worse now

ancient

War Hero
For those of you who don't already know. the Honourable East India Company operated their own private army under Royal charter and had their own military academy in Addiscombe, which would have been rural Surrey in those days (I think that the locally recruited men were trained at the old Warley Barracks in Brentwood).

The whole thing was disbanded along with everything else HEIC shortly after the Indian Mutiny. The area was soon thereafter developed as housing, but I think the old gymnasium building and a couple of teaching staff houses still exists amongst the other housing.
There are 2 roads left there from the college: Havelock Rd and Outram Rd. Named after HEIC generals I believe .

ancient

War Hero
I spent my teenage years in Forest dale estate by New Addington and made a living with my mate Ken stealing and breaking bikes. Ken went on to bigger and worse things ( as did most lads in New Addington) and ended up in jail. I saw the light and went to Norbury recruiting office.

There are 2 roads left there from the college: Havelock Rd and Outram Rd. Named after HEIC generals I believe .
Yes, all very different in Addiscombe, since those days.

Geographically, I live a mere four miles from Croydon Town Centre but (until a year ago) in every other sense of the word it may as well have been a million miles.
However, we have now started to see the usual type of scum that you would generally only see in Croydon/New Addington more and more in the shops and the high streets of West Wickham and Hayes.
We are now looking to move further out.

Geographically, I live a mere four miles from Croydon Town Centre but (until a year ago) in every other sense of the word it may as well have been a million miles.
However, we have now started to see the usual type of scum that you would generally only see in Croydon/New Addington more and more in the shops and the high streets of West Wickham and Hayes.
We are now looking to move further out.
I lived just north of Streatham Common for some years, what s it like now?
Wish I'd kept the bloody flat...

Streatham Common is actually alright but a bit too close to Tooting for my liking.
You must be kicking yourself now.

Steatham is ike Lewisham/Croydon and any other shity over populated, angry,resentful, skunked up, place you can think of....but all with some nice houses in the side roads.

Whoever is making money such as big supermarkets, corporations and the builders of office blocks and trendy flats, aint let any of it trickle down to the populace at the moment.

Latest Threads