CROWs

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by pensionpointer, May 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I :?: was a young lad, new Gunner's were NiGs...perhaps I fell asleep in the loo after a rather long dinner night, but when did CROw start being the preferred insult of choice and what are its origins? :?:

UQFEGD

2. Many thanks Harry,

Sixteen year's of service doesn't quite qualify for a bus pass but it does mean that I can contemplate the green pastures of 2 Civ Div! :lol:

UQFAED

3. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Conscript Recruit Of War

I believe this term was first used at Pirbright in its Guards Depot days.

4. Wrong key setting Harry,

I am contemplating the green pastures from within the razor wire!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Crusty,

Many thanks, that sounds like a WW2ism; do you have any idea of when it started kreeping in?

PS. How is the Island of Lurve?

5. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Getting hotter every day... :lol:

6. NIG Origionally stood for New Intake Group in training regts. Both the RCT depot and JLR used this as an official abbreviation. Once posted to Germany (as almost everyone was back then) you were once again a NIG (New in Germany). You could never win.

7. Thanks speedy,

Twas NiGs (New in Gunnery), NiADs (New in AD), NiDFs (New in Depth fire)and NiLs (...Locating) when I was at YOs, but that may have been some time ago...

QFEGD

8. We always refered it to New Intake Gunner, but its all the same meaning

Oh how we laughed during Bosnia trainiing whan a female TA Major made an official complaint against the RA badged instructors using racist comments such as "Just get a NIG to do the mine clearing"

9. Mind you some Black Watch Fijians flicked an RHA Capt the same dirty look when he exclaimed "Get those NIGs to stop sitting around and get back on the task".

The New Intake Gunners in question were sitting in rather close proximity to a group of the aforementioned BW colonial types.

10. Mmmm sure there's many witty acronyms for CROW, one I quite like is: Can't Read Or Write

11. does it really matter if its NIG or CROW, personnally CROW sounds better especially if its aimed at (NAME DELETED BY MODERATOR)

12. Aaah the manc with rank, now if your talking crows gaz 'i shave all of my body' shaw is your man

13. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

YOs? These terms were never in use within the regular Regiments. I think someone was having you on or made it up.

I believe that the term now sanctioned by ATRA is "Phase Two Soldier" as Recruit is deemed to offend the little darlings too much.

14. NIG was the term used to indicate a new soldier in a unit in Germany (New In Germany) and this was eventually used to identify any new soldier, CROW is a new one on me too.