Crowdfunding - Any Experiences?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Bad CO, May 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I'm a long term fan of Zopa and their peer to peer lending model and have been looking at crowdfunding which seems like an interesting way to do a similar thing for companies. Anyone tried it or got any views?

2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Anyone?

3. Actually yes.

My other half funded a documentary via a set up called indiegogo Indiegogo. They seem to specialize in films and doccos. Unfortunately the Mrs is in Cannes raising funds for a another project (or so she says) so I can't get details.
    As I recall you set a target, blast the word around all your friends and colleagues who then hopefully chip in. If you raise the goal amount you pay a fee of 4pct - if you don't raise the amount you were aiming for Indiegogo keep 9pct of monies raised.

To be honest, initially it felt a little like passing the dreaded sponsorship form around your 'mates' but I was surprised how enthusiastic people were about the project. She was selling them the 'you can be a mini producer' line - which is not quite true as there is no promised return on the investment - simply a warm glow from helping to put together a worthwhile film.....

BE

Edited to add: 'Sir....'