Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Tiffy_71, Jul 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bit of a knob question - but, how did the term crow come about and what does it mean/stand for? (new entrants were called something differently in my day)
  2. I understand it to be Conscript Recruit Of War, not sure of its origins but must be some conflict or another.

Sounds better than NIG, when your in a regiment full of non whites shouting NIG can lead to a shoeing.
  3. Cheers MM82
  4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

When I was a sprog CROWS were Pirbright recruits for the 7 regiments.
  5. Only ever knew recruits as 'Crows' or the longer 'Joe Crow' no idea where or when it came into use but it was common when I joined in 1983 and I suspect sometime before that.

Was told by an old sweat once that the term crow was used because the recruits (and new members of Battalion) tended to go around in groups of two and three making lots of noise........just like the feathered variety.
  6. Only ever heard the term "joe" for a recuit

What really used to grip my shit was when wannabe officers used to refer to us OR's as "Toms" before they'd even been signed up

but that was in my bad old days , I'm better much now :p
  7. Agree with Medman82, On the "CROW" Issue. When i joined, god the good old days, when you could put a "NIG" (NEW INTAKE GUNNER) into a metal locker and throw it down the stairs... :lol: Apparently they bounce better..anyway i digress...After "NIG" came "SPROG" and so on, but now they come from training depots with a chip on there shoulder and think the world owes them..."Playstation Generation". :twisted:
  8. i know there are many different reasons but i thought it was because crows flap a lot,

another i heard was because Americans call their recruits maggots and crows eat maggots!
  9. Crow bar = mllarr
  10. also i agree with medman82
    That's what i heard the official meaning is.
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Always thought NIG was New In Germany :?
  12. I was told that it was New In Green.
  13. If I remember correctly, NIG = New Intake Group.

As to 'crow', it was due to the fact that newbies' kit was covered in the crowsfoot symbol of the War Department.

Could be balls, however, but seems more plausible than dozens of other military nuggets that are passed around.
  14. And just to confuse things I was told its New Intake Group
  15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Seems its No Idea Guys....