Crossword thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Micawber, Dec 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any fellow crossword lovers out there?

I've always been a (not particularly good) cryptic crossword fan - there's nothing like staring at the old black and white grid for banishing the world and all its troubles.

So how about using this thread for passing on any satisfying clues/answers that you remember or have just come across?

And as a cry for help both when you get stuck and particularly when you remember look up the answer to the one you didn't get - and STILL don't bloody understand it!

I offer you a couple of nice ones from yesterday's Guardian, which I failed to finish by a distance -

The German with a replica pistol (9) Derringer

Sceptic engaged in armed robbery (7) Atheist

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I am in two minds, firstly I'd like a conversation about HTF you get Derringer from Replica Pistol and why does anyone think that is a clue and secondly, Atheist from armed robbery?

Its been a while since I've written anything other than bullet points.

3. The german is der, german for the, ringer is replica therefore der ringer - derringer.

Armed robbery is a heist, you need to find to find a sceptic and an atheist fits that description.

4. For the Grudian they seem to be quite clever. Probably nicked from some other paper

1. Replica pistol = (The in German) Der & (Replica) Ringer

2. Armed robbery = (robbery) A Heist

Happy days matey

5. But where does the "T" come from??

On a personal level i love anagrams.

Cart horse = Orchestra

Eleven plus two = Twelve plus one

6. Still think one of the cleverst clues I heard was
    gegs - (9,4)

hopefully I have counted correctly.

7. the T came from The

8. "scrambled eggs"

Yes, you counted correctly! :)

9. The "T" comes from "at", thus translating the clue of "engaged in armed robbery" to "at heist"

10. There was a TV prog a few weeks back about crosswords on BBC4 I think, it interviewed a number of compilers and questioned them as to how they constructed their clues, it also ran through a number of clues explaining how to answer them.

Not sure if it is available on iPlayer as I am not in the UK and can not use it.

Anyone recommend any books for beginners?

06FA56

11. One of the best clues I've ever seen simply read: HIJKLMNO (5)

Any guesses?

It's also possible to have crossword wahs:
    Fugly: "overworked postman"
    _Artemis_: "how many letters?"

12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Water (H to O)

To egg on. (5)

13. Water (H to O), geddit? :D

Note to self: Always click 'refresh' before being a smartarse.

14. AlienFTM - toast?

15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

For beginners, I can recommend 'The Puzzler', which has some cryptic crosswords where on the next page they give the 'straight' clue. Helps you to work out how they got the cryptic one.