Crossword thread anyone?

Any fellow crossword lovers out there?

I've always been a (not particularly good) cryptic crossword fan - there's nothing like staring at the old black and white grid for banishing the world and all its troubles.

So how about using this thread for passing on any satisfying clues/answers that you remember or have just come across?

And as a cry for help both when you get stuck and particularly when you remember look up the answer to the one you didn't get - and STILL don't bloody understand it!

I offer you a couple of nice ones from yesterday's Guardian, which I failed to finish by a distance -

The German with a replica pistol (9) Derringer

Sceptic engaged in armed robbery (7) Atheist

Mr Happy

LE
I am in two minds, firstly I'd like a conversation about HTF you get Derringer from Replica Pistol and why does anyone think that is a clue and secondly, Atheist from armed robbery?

Its been a while since I've written anything other than bullet points.

The german is der, german for the, ringer is replica therefore der ringer - derringer.

Armed robbery is a heist, you need to find to find a sceptic and an atheist fits that description.

Micawber said:
Any fellow crossword lovers out there?

I've always been a (not particularly good) cryptic crossword fan - there's nothing like staring at the old black and white grid for banishing the world and all its troubles.

So how about using this thread for passing on any satisfying clues/answers that you remember or have just come across?

And as a cry for help both when you get stuck and particularly when you remember look up the answer to the one you didn't get - and STILL don't bloody understand it!

I offer you a couple of nice ones from yesterday's Guardian, which I failed to finish by a distance -

The German with a replica pistol (9) Derringer

Sceptic engaged in armed robbery (7) Atheist
For the Grudian they seem to be quite clever. Probably nicked from some other paper

1. Replica pistol = (The in German) Der & (Replica) Ringer

2. Armed robbery = (robbery) A Heist

Happy days matey

saintstone said:
The german is der, german for the, ringer is replica therefore der ringer - derringer.

Armed robbery is a heist, you need to find to find a sceptic and an atheist fits that description.
But where does the "T" come from??

On a personal level i love anagrams.

Cart horse = Orchestra

Eleven plus two = Twelve plus one

Still think one of the cleverst clues I heard was
gegs - (9,4)

hopefully I have counted correctly.

General_Layabout said:
saintstone said:

Cart horse = Orchestra

the T came from The

dpcw said:
General_Layabout said:
saintstone said:

Cart horse = Orchestra

the T came from The
The "T" comes from "at", thus translating the clue of "engaged in armed robbery" to "at heist"

There was a TV prog a few weeks back about crosswords on BBC4 I think, it interviewed a number of compilers and questioned them as to how they constructed their clues, it also ran through a number of clues explaining how to answer them.

Not sure if it is available on iPlayer as I am not in the UK and can not use it.

Anyone recommend any books for beginners?

06FA56

One of the best clues I've ever seen simply read: HIJKLMNO (5)

Any guesses?

It's also possible to have crossword wahs:
Fugly: "overworked postman"
_Artemis_: "how many letters?"

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
_Artemis_ said:
One of the best clues I've ever seen simply read: HIJKLMNO (5)

Any guesses?

It's also possible to have crossword wahs:
Fugly: "overworked postman"
_Artemis_: "how many letters?"
Water (H to O)

To egg on. (5)

For beginners, I can recommend 'The Puzzler', which has some cryptic crosswords where on the next page they give the 'straight' clue. Helps you to work out how they got the cryptic one.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
cometcatcher said:
AlienFTM - toast?
Correct.

Old MacDonald had one. (5)

This takes me back to Aliwal Barracks, Tidworth, 76-77. NAAFI break started 1000 prompt and if you didn't get your copy of The Sun by about 1005 they sold out and you had the buy The Mirror.

They would sit there shouting the Quick Crossword clues back and forward, many struggling.

A couple of us took to shouting our own clues back and forth and watch those around us struggling to fill in the answers.

What a fun hour NAAFI break was in them halcyon days.

Edited cos I turtly screwed up my first post.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Struggling with that one? Here's another:

Ball-bearing rat-catcher (3,3)

Edit: Off out on me Department Christmas bunfight. If you don't get the answers for a couple of hours, I'll be back.

AlienFTM said:
AlienFTM said:
Old MacDonald had one. (5)
Nobody got this one? The answer is FARM.
*Anti wah* 'FARM' only has 4 letters in it.

(There's bound to be a punchline in there somewhere).

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Old MacDonald had a farm, E I E I O

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Croque_Monsieur Gaming and Software 2
Cuddles The NAAFI Bar 72
IdleAdjt Officers 35