Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by wannabe-rifleman, Sep 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. anybody had a go?
  2. Yes mate, its banging.

I used to do cross fit and Krav Maga combined.

You will feel like your lungs are about to collapse and you won't be able to get out of bed the following day, but it's all good.

The website is really good to if you want to compile your own workout.
  3. i've found a club that runs classes near by so might give it a blast.
  4. Mate seriously it's excellent.

It's designed to push you to your limit, but you will notice improvements very very quickly.
  5. to work outs look stupidly easy on the web site, and you do think "is that it" but you will be smashed into the floor! it took me weeks to do a full work out to the letter!
  6. Crossfit is over rated.

A mis mash of exercises with no clear progression.
  7. i agree its not the bee all and end all of training, but if you want to throw in a work out every now and again its a fast hard work out with min kit!

i prob only do one a week at the most, just to keep things diff
  8. Fair enough

I quite like ross enamait's training protcals, or that of Joel from 8 weeks out.

Both have different approaches.
    Ross is fighter orientated. He is also a walk the walk kind of person. 34 and can coast running 5 miles in 30 minutes and can deadlift 200+ kg.
    Joel is a scientific approach, you do this, your body adapts by doing this, the net result is this.

Both complement each other. And both help you reach a desired goal
  9. Well at the mo unfortunately im off work with laryngitis so no training for about or week so ive decided to look at all the posibilities for a training programme for the last 3 months before i start basic. Obviously im going to be running 3-5 miles 3 times a week, also i do thaiboxing so will be training 2-3 times a week in that. Just looking at other options, probably some upper body work maybe.
  10. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Cross fit is one of the most challenging workouts you can do....which is a good reason to at least try it.

11. You obviously weren't pushing yourselves hard enough.

I don't understand how you can call it a "mis mash of exercises" it's a total body workout that should get you anaerobic (if you do it right). You will get much quicker results that the gym monkeys relentlessly pushing out bench presses and tricep extensions.
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  12. Lots of high rep training is great for improving your anarobic and aerobic capacity, but is not good for building strength.

Cross fit is good for building fast twitch muscle fibes which are good for explosive power, and good for body building with sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Strength training is the (usually) vainity free form of weight training which serves the purpose of actual building strength rather than just getting pumped up through high repetition work outs.

There is of course remit for both. Not everyone who lifts weight is a gym monkey.
  13. Agreed, workouts should be varied and I think a good 'Olympic set' once a week is generally useful.

I still maintain though that a couple of Crossfit workouts a week are far better than 5 sessions of bicep curls, etc.
  14. That statement shows how little you know about proper strength training - bicep curls are for bodybuilders, the walts of the gym.

Cardio-weight circuits are great if your goals are cardio fitness & muscle stamina; and yes, they would be better than body-building workouts where the aim is bulk as opposed to strength. However, strength training has great benefits also and should not be knocked. They can complement each other greatly.
  15. ]

Not quite sure what you mean by that. Have you even read what I've written here?

If my sarcasm wasn't immediately obvious then let me spell it out for you.

Both the paragraphs you've written there are exactly what I've been saying i.e. a good range of exercise incorporating aerobic, anaerobic, strength training, etc.

Let me make one thing absolutely straight, I have no issue with strength training (this is also one of the major components of Crossfit). My issue is with people who train for looks e.g. bodybuilders, hence the 'Bicep curls' statement. here’s the website. familiarise your self and stop writing bone posts