cross trainer advice please

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by newlynpirate, Oct 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi,could anyone pass on there experiences about cross trainers not x dressers!anyone got any good trg programs for fat burn/muscle tone
  2. do i minimum of 20 mins continuous to get any benefits, the harder you work after that the greater the reward
  3. All I know is that the ones at the gym have programmes that display which part of your body you are excercising........ but the tame programme I was give was mainly a matter of increasing incline and resistance as I progressed.

But, can anyone advise me of a good one to buy to use at home. I'm looking for very reasonable, but durable and good value for money. I don't need anything fancy, but would be glad of any advice. There just seem to be so many available.
  4. If possible buy off ebay, go for a known make with a warranty too!
  5. Bugger all that pish. If you want a good workout in a short amount of time, try Crossfit. I recently got certified with a bunch of sneaky beaky guys who swear by it. Definitely something unusual to have your squat form corrected by a Green Beret.

Find fitness salvation here.

Took me two months to recover from a long-standing back injury and get my 1.5 mile run down to 8:40. Best of all: no gimmicks.
  6. A 15-20 min warm up on a cross trainer set to max resistance or a rolling hills programme. Follow with circuits (keep varying the routines) and finish on a rowing machine (again max resistance) - 1000m, 1 min rest, 800m, 50sec rest, 600m 40 min rest etc. End up a gibbering wreck but excellent fat burn and works every muscle group. The more you do, the better the results - 3x a week seems to get best results. Gym work alone is ok but try to keep up a roadwork/cardio programme too - running or cycling, minimum 40 mins, 2 or 3 times a week. And cut down alc intake!
  7. I've got a Precor 546... and it's the dogs nadgers... I got it off e-bay for about a grand - they cost 5 grand new - and it's got the incline function which changes it from a stepper to a cycle to a running motion. I saw one the other day for £800 but be basta.d careful - I had 2 con attempts before I bought it... with really good e-bay fake messages (do not accept western union as a payment method)

As for a training recomendation: just take a programme/time/incline/heart rate - set yourself a target and beat it - then set a harder target. I have to admit though... running is better for fitness but I'm a bit of a pussy and prefer to stay indoors in the winter.

Gyms are always upgrading - so as said before e-bay is a good place to pick up comercial used trainers, for the same price as a new heap of cheapo metal... and it's worth it. (but be really sceptical)
  8. I'd prefer to die... and probably will.
  9. There ok, good for a low impact CV work out. If you can run i wouldnt bother.
  10. Oh, I am disappointed! I thought this was a thread about angry PTIs!

*Bugsy lifts coat off hook*

11. Crossfit, look up Fran, do Fran.

Get Sub 5Min Fran.....your a hero.
  12. I don't think they do much tbh. I use them to start my warm up and that's about it, it gets my heart going, nothing more really.