• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Cross Swords on Mess Dress

Crossed rifles are on the stripes, but I'm sigs and we have a wee naked man above our stripes that would get in the way.

If you are entitled to either, which take precedence, swords or rifles?

If you are APTC they go above the rank badge. If you are a non-APTC SNCO then they don't go on at all. If you are a non-APTC JNCO with Mess Dress then they go above the rank also.

in response to iron rations query swords take priority over rifles. both can be worn, rifles on stripes swords above. depends on how sad you are. when i was serving both had to be worn as described providing you were entitled to both. hope this helps. if still in doubt ask you regt tailor or qm/rqms in clothing store. :twisted:

Soldier_Why said:
If you are APTC they go above the rank badge. If you are a non-APTC SNCO then they don't go on at all. If you are a non-APTC JNCO with Mess Dress then they go above the rank also.
I know for sure APTC wear it on the forearm regardless of rank.

Check your Corps dress regs. Most Corps allow one embellishment to the uniform.

And unless you're APTC you're not entitled to swords as a SNCO.

Mr_Relaxed said:
Because unless you're APTC you're an Assistant Coaching Instructor. Not aware that the TA have any APTC bods.
I was always led to belive that it goes on course seniority! If you are skill at guns trained they go above your rank and then your cross swords go on your lower right forearm!! But I dont really give a shite... why wear them thats what I say! Im PTI trained and I dont bother..

Mr_Relaxed said:
Because unless you're APTC you're an Assistant Coaching Instructor. Not aware that the TA have any APTC bods.
Sorry but that sounds like b0ll0cks. I'm pretty sure it was a PTI course and the ACI thing is way in the past.

Is there anything in mat regs about this?

From what I recall, and I stand to be corrected, the AIPT qual is very much a Junior rank qual (it was when I did it). By the time you reached Senior rank, you were expected to have attained at least your class 2 in preparation for APTC Probation (which I believe is now all one course?) or jacked in the PT instruction bit altogether. After all, if you're a SNCO class 3 PTI, doing the same job that a Lance jack could do, how is that reflected in your CR? "Sgt bloggs performs JNCO duties to an above average standard." Great. :roll:

Company Sergeant Majors in the Grenadier Guards used to wear crossed swords above their crowns (or was it below?) in No2 Dress not sure about mess kit though. Any Grenadiers out there to confirm this?

Latest Threads