Cross-Rank relationships

I am giving a 10 minute presentation tommorow about relationships across the ranks, and have hit a bit of a rut. If anyone could give me any usefull websites, case studies or information it would be greatly appreciated!

Hedgehog said:
I am giving a 10 minute presentation tommorow about relationships across the ranks, and have hit a bit of a rut. If anyone could give me any usefull websites, case studies or information it would be greatly appreciated!
Where are you doing that then?

...and more importantly, why?

Hedgehog said:
Its for OTC. My topic i have to talk about is 'relationships between the ranks'!
Hedgehog,

You struggle to get messages across. What type of relationship - professional, romance, sport? Doesn't bode well for your presentation.

PAW

Hedgehog said:
As long sa it doesn't break the service test, then who cares.

End of presentation.

Try reading MATT 6

Or make something up!

Alternatively, go out and shag someone in your chain of command tonight, then you can talk from personal experience.

BB51

Old-Salt
Who cares, if she swallows I dont care what rank she is.

Hedgehog said:
that was literally the title i was given for my presentation but i'm guessing relationships of the romantic type.
Hedgehog,

Ever heard of "confirm Comds intent"? If not, you should find out what it is and practise it.

PAW

I think the only issue is if the two are in the same chain of command. You could discuss two possible ficticious relationships;

1. A SNCO in camp A married to an Officer in Camp B. They will never work together and therefore never meet in embarrassing situations. Also the SNCO has the sense not to refer to officers he has met socially as Pete, Dave etc when, or if they meet in uniform. This I have seen and as long as they are grown up no problems will arise.

2, The SNCO and Offr are both in the same CoC. The two will have to be very professional but problems may arise with favouritism, jealousy from others that the SNCO is perceived to hob-knob, and also the SNCO being privvy to information that should be held at a higher level. This could cause an issue and I could understand a CO wanting one of them moving.

Any CO worth his salt would meet the couple and make it clear that they must remain proffesional and discrete but I could imagine that in a close unit such as Inf Bns that no matter how hard you try it would always be an issue.

I don't think that non commisioned ranks should mix with officers! Why should we have degenerate DNA swamp the Juniors and seniors from those morally deficient Officers?

I‘m guessing you’re expected to give your talk on the professional working relationships between the ranks, from the position of you becoming (being) a commissioned officer. Although intimate relationships would be much more exciting.

Oh anything goes these days. The Govt want the whole AF experience to be as cuddly, integrated and morally corrupt as they themselves are. I think the Army (unlike our elected politicians) still draw a line at small boys though.

sniper_bob said:
Oh anything goes these days. The Govt want the whole AF experience to be as cuddly, integrated and morally corrupt as they themselves are. I think the Army (unlike our elected politicians) still draw a line at small boys though.
Oh, and what's the joining age for the ACF?

Yeah....just join the RLC where the service test is often loosely applied and if you're a female and sh&gging a junior rank you'll probably be promoted or given a Sqn to command.

Hedgehog,

Depending on how much time you have been given for your presentation, I recommend a three-stage approach to the task:

1. Set the historical context: the Army was traditionally an all-male environment. The 20th Century saw increasing numbers of females in the Armed Forces, but they were very much kept on tasks and administered so as to keep them away from their randy male colleagues. For example, it used to be a requirement of service in the WRAC (and, I believe the WRNS) than members were unmarried with no kids (it was tacitly assumed that this also meant "virgins"). As society changed, so did the Armed Forces and these "convent regiments" became increasingly integrated, although the Army was always at least one step behind society in attitude, even if its regulations were up to speed.

2. Modern context and regulations: The Service Test governs all. Relationships between the ranks are perfectly allowable, but must not impact upon operational capability. Some have interpreted this to mean "no shagging within the chain of command". However, the matter is not so cut and dried. A JNCO (let's say female, for the sake of argument) in a relationship with an officer (male) may be invited to accompany him to the officers' mess as a partner, where she may overhear conversations about matters to which, as an NCO, she should not be exposed. Many Garrisons share messes so that the JNCO may mix socially with other JNCOs from her partner's regiment even though she is not herself in any way professionally associated with him.

3. Discussion: this is not a subject that has a clear answer. Every case must be taken on its own merits. So make up a few hypothetical cases and put them before your audience. Invite discussion. You might want to take a vote. If you are feeling gutsy, put your CO on the spot as the man who must exercise his judgment in this sort of case and ask him to make the final decision and justify it. NB - This last suggestion assumes that (a) you have balls of steel and (b) your CO has a sense of humour. If either of these is not the case, DON'T DO IT!!

IF

Just do a quick search under The Scum archives. Bags of material.

Try cutting across from just the sex and explain some difficulties encountered elsewhere in terms of relationships:

Police - Masonry

Army - Sport, you can call your pl sgt John on the pitch but not off it.

Navy - rum, sodomy and the lash are not indicators of a relationship, more like life choices.

Work - TA offr subordinate to real time boss who is a pte.

You might also like to look at this article (you should be able to see it without being a registered member!):

http://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/p...wstrikes.htm?name=employment+law&type=subject

This is about managing relationships in conventional workplaces and some means of maintaining corporate standards. Probably not worth going down this rabbit hole in a big way, but it's worth noting that the problem isn't unique to the Armed Forces.

IF