cross posting to paras

just wondered what the general feeling is from serving para reg members on cross posting from line infantry to airborne infantry, how would the lads feel about it?

They'd put you in mortars to 'soften you up' for the rest of the guys...

What sort of a stupid question is that?

It's like a cross posting from the Signals or the Tankies ffs.......

Mister_Jones said:
so is that the general feeling then?
Providing you did 'P' Coy and all that we do,but one suggestion - don't bang on about your 'past'...if asked short,clear answer and move swiftly on.

Mister_Jones said:
just wondered what the general feeling is from serving para reg members on cross posting from line infantry to airborne infantry, how would the lads feel about it?
Given the manning figures of the Paras, i'd be surprised that, if someone from the line Inf passed P Coy and wanted to transfer the Reg, that they (the reg) wouldn't be chuffed to bits to have him transfer.

F

mr jones make it so ...........
pass pcoy and join the swinging warrior elite.........................
:headbang: i

please leave any cross dressing aspirations behind ,one this year is enough..

When the Para's were first formed I think that you will find a section of the RMC was drafted in. Also during WW2 there were whole Regiments designated as Airborne troops that went in by gliders. These troops also wore the Pegasus badge.

W.Anchor said:
When the Para's were first formed I think that you will find a section of the RMC was drafted in. Also during WW2 there were whole Regiments designated as Airborne troops that went in by gliders. These troops also wore the Pegasus badge.
Think it was 2 Commando that started us off,and on successfully completing the course,were named the 11th Special Air Service Regt.,
then to become the 1st Parachute Brigade..

Yous are v. brave, the whole lot o' yees - to jump out of plains. 8) 8O

FFS!!! :twisted:

Catch me . . . .?? :roll:

But I salute yous all! :D :eek:

W.Anchor said:
My copy of the regt'l history is far out of reach; but IIRC some of the Ulsters (RUR) wore the Pegasus badge, having been glider airborne on D-Day+2 or thereabouts.

Would that figure?

caubeen said:
W.Anchor said:
My copy of the regt'l history is far out of reach; but IIRC some of the Ulsters (RUR) wore the Pegasus badge, having been glider airborne on D-Day+2 or thereabouts.

Would that figure?
Look out for a copy of 'The Rifles are there' (http://www.geocities.com/rurmuseum/) for information - 1st Battalion RUR went in by glider & wore the Pegasus Badge and maroon beret.

The Stickies were there for sure for sure, and IIRC were the only regiment to have its entire strength in the field in Normandy, IIRC the other bn came in on boats.

But if you want to, pass P Coy, which isnt everyones cup of tea, and after you have passed, who cares what anyone thinks...you are in, and thats that. Pals of mine did it and really did well after, and them from a bogtrotter unit too, so just do what your gut tells you.

londonirish said:
The Stickies were there for sure for sure, and IIRC were the only regiment to have its entire strength in the field in Normandy, IIRC the other bn came in on boats.
Londonirish you do indeed remember correctly. Both Bns were involved in their respective roles (glider and boats).

I was always told that is why 3 PARA have the green DZ flash as the RUR then went on to form the basis of 3 PARA (but that may have been urban myth).

F

eSeL said:
caubeen said:
W.Anchor said:

Would that figure?
Look out for a copy of 'The Rifles are there' (http://www.geocities.com/rurmuseum/) for information - 1st Battalion RUR went in by glider & wore the Pegasus Badge and maroon beret.
VMT for confirmation, eSeL and all others.

My regt'l history and all old warrior pals are far away. Most of the latter from D-Day etc. are dead and gone, alas.

Brave men, even in gliders.

As are yous all, who jumps out o' plaines . . . . 8) FFS!!! :? :oops: :roll:

frankie said:
londonirish said:
Londonirish you do indeed remember correctly. Both Bns were involved in their respective roles (glider and boats).

I was always told that is why 3 PARA have the green DZ flash as the RUR then went on to form the basis of 3 PARA (but that may have been urban myth).

F
how cool, thanks, I didn't know that, when was 3 Para formed, as the RUR and their TA brethren the LIR were a bit busy untill 46/7 when some of them finally got d mobbed.

I suppose the really keen ones applied for transferrs that couldnt be refused etc etc, as in the 50s when a lot of the RUR went to the SAS.

For the 60th anniversary of D-Day BBC NI did some programmes about local boys who fought and the 2 bns of RUR featured heavily. The old boys spoke a lot about fighting for their mates coming in on the beach.

Worth catching if they are ever repeated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D The Book Club 1
Harry_Webster The Intelligence Cell 8
Davros_the_Dalek The Training Wing 12