Cross Fire or just single 7970?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Knightwars4, Mar 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the titles says, but mostly because I've got a budget in mind for my dream gaming rig. Looking to play BF3, Diablo 3 and latest titles.

Will CF two 7970's be any good or what? Is it worth it etc etc... Here's a link to what the current machine will compose of:

http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/viewCart.asp

2. Sorry, can't see your spec as it needs your login details.
    2nd don't bother with Dino PC, go straight to the custom system experts scan.co.uk

3. Oh sorry about that, didn't know it was attached to my account.

4. Still doesn't work. Copy the specs and post them, it' easier....

5. Anybody else have anything to say about gaming rigs and whether or not I need 16 Gb RAM in them?

6. Customizations:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 Water Cooler
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Assassin2
    Memory: 16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (4x 4GB)
    Hard Drives: Corsair 60GB Force3 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
    2nd hard drive: WD Caviar Black 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
    Optical Drive: 10x Blu-Ray RW S-ATA
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    Sound card: Creative Audigy SE 7.1 PCI
    Software: Norton Anti-Virus 2012
    Software: Microsoft® Office 2010 Home and Student
    Software Nero and PowerDVD
    Internet: Wireless 802.11N 300Mbps MIMO PCI card
    Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T3
    Monitors: Asus 21.5" VE228T LED
    Accessories: Firewire Card
    Accessories: 30-in-1 USB Media Card Reader
    Accessories: PCI Digital TV Tuner Card
    Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
    PSU: 1200W Corsair AX Professional Series Gold
    Warranty: 3 Year Silver Warranty

7. These have no place on a gaming PC. Mag to grid the lot.

8. your gfx should be good enough as is. tomshardware usually has some good benchmark performance charts

9. Showing off much? Money is evidently no object for you, 'least not concerning super-high-end computer hardware which will bleed 50% of its value in one year.

10. 60 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Look again and you'll notice it's buried in there somewhere.

11. It's what I'm aiming for over a long period of time, though I'm only using current high end specs to give me an estimate of a price range to aim for. By the time I accumulate enough money, we'll have tech far superior to what's been stated above.

12. That's what I've been using for quite awhile now. I'm not interested in going too far in terms of GFX budget as I just want a system I won't need to replace every 4 years or so. My definition being of too far as £1000+

13. Can you suggest any alternatives to them? I'll still need a similar service provided by them as the suggested rig is also going to be used for casual internet stuff and school work + what ever the hell the dad needs to use it for.

14. If that's the case, you're wasting an awful lot of money on something that's just a general purpose PC that plays games occasionally. For ~1K, I'd be tempted to scale back the spec of the gaming PC and spend £200 on a monkey box for everyone else. Gaming rigs are not only serious business, but personal - never rub another man's rhubarb and all that...

As for the utilities, cut along to Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once , google some reviews of the software they offer and then grab what you need - i.e. Libre Office, AVG and Imgburn.