Cross Fire or just single 7970?

As the titles says, but mostly because I've got a budget in mind for my dream gaming rig. Looking to play BF3, Diablo 3 and latest titles.

Will CF two 7970's be any good or what? Is it worth it etc etc... Here's a link to what the current machine will compose of:

http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/viewCart.asp

Sorry, can't see your spec as it needs your login details.
2nd don't bother with Dino PC, go straight to the custom system experts scan.co.uk

Oh sorry about that, didn't know it was attached to my account.

Anybody else have anything to say about gaming rigs and whether or not I need 16 Gb RAM in them?

Customizations:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 Water Cooler
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Assassin2
Memory: 16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (4x 4GB)
Hard Drives: Corsair 60GB Force3 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
2nd hard drive: WD Caviar Black 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 10x Blu-Ray RW S-ATA
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
Sound card: Creative Audigy SE 7.1 PCI
Software: Norton Anti-Virus 2012
Software: Microsoft® Office 2010 Home and Student
Software Nero and PowerDVD
Internet: Wireless 802.11N 300Mbps MIMO PCI card
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T3
Monitors: Asus 21.5" VE228T LED
Accessories: Firewire Card
Accessories: 30-in-1 USB Media Card Reader
Accessories: PCI Digital TV Tuner Card
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
PSU: 1200W Corsair AX Professional Series Gold
Warranty: 3 Year Silver Warranty

your gfx should be good enough as is. tomshardware usually has some good benchmark performance charts

Showing off much? Money is evidently no object for you, 'least not concerning super-high-end computer hardware which will bleed 50% of its value in one year.

Jesus, even my laptop's got a Core i7 and a much bigger SSD.
60 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Look again and you'll notice it's buried in there somewhere.

Showing off much? Money is evidently no object for you, 'least not concerning super-high-end computer hardware which will bleed 50% of its value in one year.
It's what I'm aiming for over a long period of time, though I'm only using current high end specs to give me an estimate of a price range to aim for. By the time I accumulate enough money, we'll have tech far superior to what's been stated above.

your gfx should be good enough as is. tomshardware usually has some good benchmark performance charts
That's what I've been using for quite awhile now. I'm not interested in going too far in terms of GFX budget as I just want a system I won't need to replace every 4 years or so. My definition being of too far as £1000+

These have no place on a gaming PC. Mag to grid the lot.
Can you suggest any alternatives to them? I'll still need a similar service provided by them as the suggested rig is also going to be used for casual internet stuff and school work + what ever the hell the dad needs to use it for.

Can you suggest any alternatives to them? I'll still need a similar service provided by them as the suggested rig is also going to be used for casual internet stuff and school work + what ever the hell the dad needs to use it for.
If that's the case, you're wasting an awful lot of money on something that's just a general purpose PC that plays games occasionally. For ~1K, I'd be tempted to scale back the spec of the gaming PC and spend £200 on a monkey box for everyone else. Gaming rigs are not only serious business, but personal - never rub another man's rhubarb and all that...

As for the utilities, cut along to Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once , google some reviews of the software they offer and then grab what you need - i.e. Libre Office, AVG and Imgburn.

I can suggest an alternative. Go out and speak to real girls you ******* virgin.

I can suggest an alternative. Go out and speak to real girls you ******* virgin.
Now now do not be unkind. That requires human-human interaction.

With games like BF3 it is the Graphics card that largely determine the outcome, not so much the CPU. Also dual graphics cards can be more bloody hassle than they are worth and with top end stuff the gains of dual versus single are, in real world terms, marginal.

For gaming, where the uber multi cores do not really add a lot, better off with an overclocked i5, boatload of memory, decent motherboard and a monster graphics card. (And then you do not need a monster CPU)

Scan 3xs Systems - Custom PCs built by the award winning team

I go with Blogg and PaleBlue..... Scan is the mutts nutts! And if you know what you are doing, you can buy a motherboard/overclocked processor/ram package off them for pennies and put the rest together yourself.

I would also recommend waiting 6 months for the new graphics card range to come out. It will pretty much double the bang for buck ratio you will get.

YOu can get a good gaming rig for £600-£800 with an overclocked Quad I5 processor... and a great I5 system for circa £1K.... I7 Extreme is good but its there for idiots with too much money

Thats true to a point Roadster, there always has been an upward and onwards trend in technology. However this is a BIG step forward. Its the GFX card equivalent of the I5 and I7 processors

And in 6 months' time, the new graphics cards will be coming out in 6 months to replace the one you've just bought. Technology does NOT stand still.
Ahh that is shit put about by hardware companies. In terms of hardware versus software requirements, that no longer works.

I am running an i5 2500k overclocked to 4500MHz with 8Gb of fast DDR3 Memory and it monsters any application, heavy duty video encoding aside.

Graphics card? Well it is a Sapphire Radeon 1Gb 5850 which in GPU terms is, supposedly, an arthritic dinosaur. Oh really?

In general getter off diverting surplus cash into a decent SSD than the next gen GPU.

Latest Threads