Cross Channel Migrant Issue

• Thread starter Deleted 3147
  • Start date
Indeed they do at the moment. The Key being from no EU. I've written a couple of stories not published on the ramifications of customs work. But lets be fair when we were younger some would head for the first rubber ring shop that could be found at the seas side but it was always on the understanding they were for Local use largely for kiddies and there was was always some fuel caught on a Lilo and I'm not crass enough to blame every Frog for everything.

But that never stopped the average yachtee from popping orf to the Continent and laying in cheap booze for crawling round the Cote Azur and the returning with a cherubic grin on his/her face as they had nothing to declare on their return "ahem". TBF Marinas were not first port of call with existing staff. "One trusted one's betters in those days" fools of tooks as we were.
But to give it another slant. Two Rozzers crossed my morning walk yesterday and they were monitoring the misuse of a No left turn. Far too parochial to pop into the local Marina and inspect the comings and goings. But then that's not their job is it and "we only do things when intelligence says we should" rather sums it all up. It's all a bit NAAFI.
if you live on the south Coast and take an interest in the seas coming and goings, one of the things you notice, Is the regular fast boats heading off out to sea as the light fades, they come back by dawns early light. recreational People smuggling has been a thing for a very long time.
it’s low/no risk. No ones watching, if you go down to the harbour, there is a smalll faded sign with the numbers to call if you arrive and need to declare anything - that’s the sum total of ‘border protection’ round here,

Last edited:
That's when they start wibbling on about the percentage of land that is actually built on in the UK and how we've got loads of space to build on to house all and sundry. Not taking into account much of it is fertile arable or grazing land which we actually need to grow food on, as well as habitats for the wildlife that they pretend to care about when the fox hunting and game shooting issue is raised, and a lot of it is also mountains and flood plains that you can't build on anyway!
I love it when this arguement comes up.
Population growth Vs greenbelt Vs farming Vs nature Vs local government planning permission Vs central government policies.

I say bollocks, let's just build on golf course.
There are more than enough golf course to build on for millions of homes across the UK.

Greater London had 131 golf courses or 11,000 acres. That is a lot of potential housing.
Come the glorious revolution these fake nature elitist parks will be first against the wall comrade!

until more housing is needed for the regional housing plan. We are a village of 12,000, all around us was formally green land, now? @3,000 new houses in the first tranche, 7,000 in total over the next decade, more than doubling the population and turning us into a small town. Everything they build is sold off plan, almost every house in the village that comes up for sale is bought by developers and converted into HMOs
Seeing the same around here, the village of Stamford Bridge has had a large development built just outside it, all those identical looking Barratt style homes where they haven't even attempted to make them blend in with the look of the rest of the place and taking up a large swath of what was woodland and paddocks a few years ago. I'm assuming all these new people will be commuting to work in York or Leeds so the traffic jams will be horrendous over that single lane stone bridge on a morning. It's the same in York as well, lots of playing fields and green spaces are being snapped up with new developments springing up on them, and anything else is being turned into blocks of student accommodation. I've seen a story this morning that they've built a new development on land that floods every winter in Fulford, and they now want the council to spend a fortune on new flood defences for it despite knowing from the start it floods. Whoever granted the planning permission on that wants sacking.

*edited to add - looks like there was a fair amount of objection from residents and even the local council about the Stamford Bridge development, but as there is a large new estate there now with further building work going on I assume some money changed hands to allow it to go ahead Plans for 210 new homes in village meet objections

Last edited:
Seeing the same around here, the village of Stamford Bridge has had a large development built just outside it, all those identical looking Barratt style homes where they haven't even attempted to make them blend in with the look of the rest of the place and taking up a large swath of what was woodland and paddocks a few years ago. I'm assuming all these new people will be commuting to work in York or Leeds so the traffic jams will be horrendous over that single lane stone bridge on a morning. It's the same in York as well, lots of playing fields and green spaces are being snapped up with new developments springing up on them, and anything else is being turned into blocks of student accommodation. I've seen a story this morning that they've built a new development on land that floods every winter in Fulford, and they now want the council to spend a fortune on new flood defences for it despite knowing from the start it floods. Whoever granted the planning permission on that wants sacking.
Similar goings on my way, every single spare scrap of land being built on. I live in a medium sized suburb/town just outside a major city where they are currently building around 1,000 new homes about a quarter of which are to be "affordable". Has there been any improvement to transport infrastructure or amenities? Of course not.

It's just a sea of crappy looking copy and paste overpriced cardboard houses. A good chunk of them are also being built on land that was notorious for flooding.

I drive a 4x4, not just for the looks, the main road from the north of village to the motorway is the former path of a small river, now culverted, it floods regularly, deep enough to need a 4x4 and even them its sometimes closed.
Well, the new local plans are interesting, the little blue line that used to be on the maps showing the river river bed is no more - its gone. And all those 3,000 house re going on the flood plain of that river. Thats the flood plain, flat as a bollard table, that no ones built on since Roman times for some strange reason

Shenanigans!

What did you learn in your time in Customs?

Surely you should know that - if ever in doubt - fault can be laid firmly at the feet at the french - and they have never let us down on that score. They never fail to demonstrate themselves and their gallic-induced ineptitude.

Born to be 'put to the sword'.... I'm mean look at their ambassadors that they send here.... on arrse even!... @Sixty (soixante) for example.

Apols to those chaps with the berets on wrong way on here but - you're not 'proper' french anyway - you ran forwards ;)
What did I learn? Trust no bugger, not even yer bestest Friend. Fortunately I’ve always counted my best friends on the digits of one hand.

My doctors in York you tap the screen with DOB and your name and it books you in as an arrival.
There must be three to four screens with all sorts of nice flags on until you get to the Union Flag for English.
Polish lad I knew was making £40 an hour working for the NHS as a translator.
Doctors in your area let you into the same building that they are in! I'm staggered. Don't they know there's a crisis on?

What did I learn? Trust no bugger, not even yer bestest Friend. Fortunately I’ve always counted my best friends on the digits of one hand.
Same here- I count mine on one hand too...Dingerrs!

...or were she still alive, Nancy from Hendies in Leuchars village.

A ferocious leviathon of a woman who's battle cry of "Geroooot! Yah Barrrred!" reduced hardened drinkers to quivering wrecks. Dealing with illegals coming ashore in a rubber boat would be a doddle for her.

Mufulira

War Hero
if you live on the south Coast and take an interest in the seas coming and goings, one of the things you notice, Is the regular fast boats heading off out to sea as the light fades, they come back by dawns early light. recreational People smuggling has been a thing for a very long time.
it’s low/no risk. No ones watching, if you go down to the harbour, there is a smalll faded sign with the numbers to call if you arrive and need to declare anything - that’s the sum total of ‘border protection’ round here,
Something like our Canuck Cornwall where at evening all kinds of small but speedy craft would dash across the river to Excited States and return with cheap booze and ciggies to satisfy locals' demands and replenish local tribes' bank accounts. Ironic isn't it when "Indians" selling tobacco again to crazy "white men" ???

Latest Threads