Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross Channel Migrant Issue

• Thread starter Deleted 3147
  • Start date
I disagree. Many will be refugees and genuine, in desperate situations and hence easily exploited by criminal gangs who promise passage to the UK and a better life.

Does our benefits system additionally encourage people is another question and maybe that does need to be addressed but its a secondary issue.

France doesn't need this either despite what people may say. As they progress through France and end up in camps/halfway stations it creates problems for them to manage too and they are harsher.

It benefits both countries to address this, properly.

blow them out of the water. I think there are lots of lively people all over the world but that’s where they need to stay. where they come from.

D

Deleted 3147

If the Navy gets drawn into this, it’s going to produce very painful headlines that will not help the Navy.
The Daily Hate will have a field day - ’Navy ferry’s migrants to new life in UK’
I agree, this isn't a role the Navy needs to be mired in, it will become a Naval problem and it isn't.

I agree, this isn't a role the Navy needs to be mired in, it will become a Naval problem and it isn't.

pictures of steely Royals guarding ‘helpless migrants’ aboard RN vessels will be catnip to the Human Rights lawyers.
its going to be an unavoidable PR train wreck

OK
'Genuine' refugees. From where? France? Didn't know they were at war.
'Genuine' Asylum seekers. Again. Seeking asylum from France?

Nah. They are criminals breaking laws.

I am sick of hearing the word 'desperate' being used. They know damn well what they are doing!
'Determined' would be a better description.

I have had the ‘pleasure’ of running the gauntlet into Calais on numerous occasions through these ‘helpless migrants’.
Very few women, children and family groups, but lots of fit, very aggressive and violent young men from sub sharan Africa quite willing to use weapons and force to get to the Promised Land.

syrup

LE
I disagree. Many will be refugees and genuine, in desperate situations and hence easily exploited by criminal gangs who promise passage to the UK and a better life.

Does our benefits system additionally encourage people is another question and maybe that does need to be addressed but its a secondary issue.

France doesn't need this either despite what people may say. As they progress through France and end up in camps/halfway stations it creates problems for them to manage too and they are harsher.

It benefits both countries to address this, properly.

If they are genuine then they've had every single country they've travelled through to claim asylum.
Once they hit Europe they stopped fleeing.
If you've crossed the Channel to get to the UK you are simply an illegal immigrant - no more than that.
You need asylum then claim it in the first safe country you arrive in.

If they are genuine then they've had every single country they've travelled through to claim asylum.
Once they hit Europe they stopped fleeing.
If you've crossed the Channel to get to the UK you are simply an illegal immigrant - no more than that.
You need asylum then claim it in the first safe country you arrive in.

They carry no papers, they make every effort not to be processed anywhere in EUrope.
first authorities that lays a hand on them wins them, And that’s us.

syrup

LE
They carry no papers, they make every effort not to be processed anywhere in EUrope.
first authorities that lays a hand on them wins them, And that’s us.

So they are not asylum seekers.
They are criminals they are in Europe illegally and they'll try every effort to get here illegally.
I break the law I don't get rewarded with a hotel stay and a warm welcome.
Time to start treating them as law breakers.

Can't we do a deal with the Syrian government and pay them to house asylum seekers on camps in Syria, then just add bonuses to civil servants here for whoever tops the league table for delaying a claim the longest, and job jobbed

And start booting out Albanians/Romanians.
Don’t know about Albanians but there are lots of good Romanians working in this country- many in the NHS.
Absolutely kick out any (and any other nationality) found to be involved in criminality but don’t chuck the baby out with the bathwater.

Border Force is a Home Office department, rather than stamping their feet and demanding they get MoD support my point is their seniors, including their Minister the Home Secretary, could and should have done something about funding/equipping before now.

Yes, it's very political and another reason not to mire the RN.

I don't disagree with you that more should have been done before now regarding funding and equipment. This has been a looming crisis many years in the making. Someone should have read the tea leaves many years ago when the illegals, refugees and asylum seekers first started making their way from the M.E. & Africa and were heading westwards to mass on the French coast. There was only ever one place where those on the French coast wanted to end up. It is something that we have been discussing in these hallowed pages for a long time and we know it has not escaped the attention of those whose responsibility it is to deal with the issue. The problem is that despite all that the SCS and government ministers have failed to deal with it and those chickens are coming home to roost.

Is the Home Office actually 'stamping their feet' and 'demanding' [your words] that the MoD help or are they asking for that help, knowing that the situation has become so serious that it is now unmanageable without additional support? Shouldn't different government departments assist each other in times of need rather than throw each other to the wolves?

We have seen in recent times MACA being implemented with the army assisting with the COVID crisis and not so long ago the Brylcreem Boys bunging up a knackered dam. Many years before that the army helped out with the foot and mouth crisis and everybody pitched in to put out fires when the firemen wanted an extended holiday. The RN helps catch drug smugglers in the Caribbean and helps with disaster relief when things get a bit breezy out there. The military is not all about bombs and bullets. Lending a hand is something we do when it needs doing, we're generally pretty good when it comes to that, and the RN have the particular skill set in this case.

This crisis has definitely not been helped by a lack of willpower and backbone at the political level. Are the French doing enough or are they deliberately dragging their feet and hiding at the point the gimmegrants depart French shores, perhaps as a way of punishing the UK over Brexit and the arguments over their access to UK waters for fishing rights? It wouldn't surprise me. Politics again.

I know that at some level the French are co-operating with UK law enforcement as this article shows, Three convicted in France as part of cross-Channel people smuggling investigation, but is it enough?

@old_n_fat asked a question in the Internet links/videos/pictures thread about how we can legally send them back. The Dublin III Regulation allows us to do exactly that.

Can you point me to the relevant page? The index, at first glance, appears to relate to children only.
@Jimmy_Green
Edit to tag Jimmy

I've provided the link to the document, I'm not going to go looking for the relevant clause for you. If it's not in that particular document it will be in another similar one. If you want to find it do your own research. I'm sure you're more than capable.

UKRaider

Old-Salt
So they are not asylum seekers.
They are criminals they are in Europe illegally and they'll try every effort to get here illegally.
I break the law I don't get rewarded with a hotel stay and a warm welcome.
Time to start treating them as law breakers.
What I said. They are determined criminals. No more, no less.

I've provided the link to the document, I'm not going to go looking for the relevant clause for you. If it's not in that particular document it will be in another similar one. If you want to find it do your own research. I'm sure you're more than capable.
Long way to say the document isn't relevant. Thanks for your service.

pictures of steely Royals guarding ‘helpless migrants’ aboard RN vessels will be catnip to the Human Rights lawyers.
its going to be an unavoidable PR train wreck
Yes but they will be in there guccy Crye kit with £250 trousers, C8s and plate carriers. Something I doubt that the Light Cav going to Mali will be issued with.

good. And they should have no entitlement to healthcare either.

Read the article through again.
The Reuters fact check was regarding the alleged fact that they get £29,000 a year and an OAP gets £6,000 a year.
They can actually only get up to £13,400 if accommodated outside London or £15,410 inside London.
That is all on top of the free accommodation.
Up to the stage of actual refusal of asylum status, it can all be claimed, then if that asylum claim is refused they can then claim for accommodation and a living allowance from UK Visas and Immigration.

They also get credit towards the UK state pension on a reduced tariff, much like the long-term unemployed.

As said over in another thread, over 4,000 so far this year have landed by this means with just 155 returned.
When it is 3,845 returned with 155 allowed to remain it will soon stop.

If the Border Force has neither the manpower or logistics to deal with the current crisis it's not so much them that's failed but rather they who have been failed. They have been let down by the lack of support. If the Border Force does have sufficient manpower and logistics then the RN's help is not required. My view is that this is a political failing.
Not helped by the cuts imposed by George Osborne and Teresa May, they of the 'Hostile Enviroment' 'Tough on Law and Order' Tory Government of the last ten years.

Latest Threads