Cross Channel Migrant Issue

• Thread starter Deleted 3147
  • Start date
I can't see what the RN will do that's much different to what the Border Force have been doing. They won't ignore laws or leave people who declare themselves to be "in distress" in the Channel. I doubt the French will allow British military vessels into their ports to forcibly land migrants picked up mid-crossing.

endure

GCM
I can't see what the RN will do that's much different to what the Border Force have been doing. They won't ignore laws or leave people who declare themselves to be "in distress" in the Channel. I doubt the French will allow British military vessels into their ports to forcibly land migrants picked up mid-crossing.
They'll give Boris a big headline which he hopes will extend his occupation of Number 10.

We all know what uncontrolled imegration did for the Palestine population!

Depends on whom you talk to, I suppose.

Certainy some of the early history of the mandate the Arab populace admiring the Jewish population's working of the land to a productive state.

Of course, it got tricky quite quickly.

end-well-this-will-not.jpg

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It seems we are also pretty good at exporting these sort of people. Mind you, although killed in Texas, his UK family immediately said he had a mental problem !

It seems we are also pretty good at exporting these sort of people. Mind you, although killed in Texas, his UK family immediately said he had a mental problem !

Part of the standard response by the families of these people and to be followed by -
"he was let down by the government and the system. We knew he had extreme views but the government did nothing..."

I think you misheard "metal problem".

(Which was true, after the FBI was done).

Yokel

LE

Amidst much fanfare, HMS Mersey sailed to join English Channel migration patrols for a few weeks in January 2019. However, reports of how the ship was used are sketchy. It would appear she provided intelligence to assist the UKBF, rather than interdicting migrant boats herself. The £20,000 cost per day of running the ship was borne by the Home Office, an interesting comparison with Poseidon. With 3,230 km2 of territorial waters to patrol, the RN’s 3-ship Fishery Protection Squadron has its hands full and smaller civilian craft are both cheaper and better suited to migrant patrols.

From a 2020 article.

Amidst much fanfare, HMS Mersey sailed to join English Channel migration patrols for a few weeks in January 2019. However, reports of how the ship was used are sketchy. It would appear she provided intelligence to assist the UKBF, rather than interdicting migrant boats herself. The £20,000 cost per day of running the ship was borne by the Home Office, an interesting comparison with Poseidon. With 3,230 km2 of territorial waters to patrol, the RN’s 3-ship Fishery Protection Squadron has its hands full and smaller civilian craft are both cheaper and better suited to migrant patrols.

From a 2020 article.

Well there's a poisoned chalice if ever I saw one!

From a 2020 article.

As just posted on the related Immigration thread . . .

Priti definitely on her mettle this afternoon. The Channel immigrants only took-up the first 15 minutes, but was most informative and entertaining.

Nothing confirmed about this weekend's/today's speculation, other than she requested MoD/RN assistance back in 2019! Apparently - at great expense - the RN did patrol the Channel for a few (4-6?), months and then withdrew . . . as mentoned in @Yokel 's link above . . .

Amidst much fanfare, HMS Mersey sailed to join English Channel migration patrols for a few weeks in January 2019. However, reports of how the ship was used are sketchy. It would appear she provided intelligence to assist the UKBF, rather than interdicting migrant boats herself.

The £20,000 cost per day of running the ship was borne by the Home Office, an interesting comparison with Poseidon. With 3,230 km2 of territorial waters to patrol, the RN’s 3-ship Fishery Protection Squadron has its hands full and smaller civilian craft are both cheaper and better suited to migrant patrols.

I was left with the impression this afternoon (regardless of what NAVY LOOKOUT now tweets/thinks), that - if agreed - the MoD are (only) to provide “assistance”, and that the HO is not abdicating responsibility, and will not be handing over responsibility, “Command & Control” to the MoD/RN.

I lost count how many times Push-Back was mentioned . . . but, it is a "thing". It has been tested, and approved, and it will happen ;) .

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

And, although 'nothing to do with immigrants':