Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Cromwell

@Kirkz kindly sent me the Airfix 1/76 Cromwell and so here is a brief rundown of the kit and the result....

The Cromwell is one of the new style kits. It is certainly not for those of fat fingers or in possession of a guide dog .... (you all know who you are...)

There are lots of tiny parts like lights and light guards, shackles, aerial mounts that need tweezers and a very forgiving carpet. Whilst fit was good it could be a frustrating build due to parts breaking when removing them from the sprue (or tree..) and pinging in to the wide blue yonder and tweezers definitely required to place parts. It was intersting to see detail where it would normally be ignored such as inspection plates on the underside.

Construction is interesting and the instructions MUST be read first. For example the turret is a simple moulding but is then made up by adding "armour panels" to each side. Care must be taken to glue the correct part to the correct turret side. This continues throughout. The parts fit very very well. I think there will be issues in a few years as the mould ages and flash creeps in. The smaller parts are so small that they will just become a lump of shapeless plastic. I know part of the joy of modelling is making parts the correct shape and fit but it was frustrating that the rear sprockets were beautifully detailed but poorly moulded. The one pice tracks make life easier but are still a fiddle. The wheels must line up an too much paint on the axles puts them out of line.

Due to a few health issues that sprang up at the end of last year my concentration isn't 100% so I decided to finish the model as a "tarnished silver presentation piece" on a base. The base needs finishing but thought I'd post now before we get to 2022! I did something similar with the Airfix WWI Tank. The finish on that was much better. The Cromwell really needs a further coat of silver and I have to tidy up and finish the base.

Any comments welcome.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Actually the base looks much better on the shelf than in the pictures but wll be finished soon.

I also have the 1/32 Bf109E courtesy of @LARD . That will be done in a couple on months when things are settled and I've practiced with the airbrush (thanks for the airbrush sticky @Daz and co.)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    828.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Very nice effect there, might I suggest rather than more silver you run a blue wash over it to make the details pop?

Very nice effect there, might I suggest rather than more silver you run a blue wash over it to make the details pop?
I was just thinking that, still it's very nice. in fact when silver tarnishes you also get a very faint tinge of brown or biscuit and long the edge where the blue is, damned difficult to reproduce, but I've Polished silver before and noticed it. Nearest I can describe it is colour change when heating metal.

.....thanks for the advice. It was done with a black base and silver top coat so I'll get the colours out and give it a go. (we have no silver, tarnished or otherwise for me to look at.... :) )

.....thanks for the advice. It was done with a black base and silver top coat so I'll get the colours out and give it a go. (we have no silver, tarnished or otherwise for me to look at.... :) )
No insult intended, this is a family silver (cutlery) from Germany, but the effect is much the same when silver plate tarnishes. I had to polish it when I was a kid and believe you me, you've done better than me. I tend to lose patience with detail, it's impression I do rather than accuracy. Rocket, is miles better than what I can do.

No insult intended, this is a family silver (cutlery) from Germany, but the effect is much the same when silver plate tarnishes. I had to polish it when I was a kid and believe you me, you've done better than me. I tend to lose patience with detail, it's impression I do rather than accuracy. Rocket, is miles better than what I can do.
Oh I didn't see any insult. I genuine haven't seen silver for ages (all the antique shops closed ). I have a load of Airfix kits courtesy of Aldi and Lidle which I can now practice on too and paint properly. Any advice is gratefully received.

I haven't modelled for ages, well, not since that day when Wifey came home early from work and I thought Wifey was still at work and I'd tried on this satin basque and ...anyway, practice on Spitfires next.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The upside of a wash is if you don't like the look it is easily covered over. If it is not fixed yet try it on the underside

Nicely done, sir!

I found the hardest thing with the kit was the roof star decal.

@Kirkz kindly sent me the Airfix 1/76 Cromwell and so here is a brief rundown of the kit and the result....

The Cromwell is one of the new style kits. It is certainly not for those of fat fingers or in possession of a guide dog .... (you all know who you are...)

There are lots of tiny parts like lights and light guards, shackles, aerial mounts that need tweezers and a very forgiving carpet. Whilst fit was good it could be a frustrating build due to parts breaking when removing them from the sprue (or tree..) and pinging in to the wide blue yonder and tweezers definitely required to place parts. It was intersting to see detail where it would normally be ignored such as inspection plates on the underside.

Construction is interesting and the instructions MUST be read first. For example the turret is a simple moulding but is then made up by adding "armour panels" to each side. Care must be taken to glue the correct part to the correct turret side. This continues throughout. The parts fit very very well. I think there will be issues in a few years as the mould ages and flash creeps in. The smaller parts are so small that they will just become a lump of shapeless plastic. I know part of the joy of modelling is making parts the correct shape and fit but it was frustrating that the rear sprockets were beautifully detailed but poorly moulded. The one pice tracks make life easier but are still a fiddle. The wheels must line up an too much paint on the axles puts them out of line.

Due to a few health issues that sprang up at the end of last year my concentration isn't 100% so I decided to finish the model as a "tarnished silver presentation piece" on a base. The base needs finishing but thought I'd post now before we get to 2022! I did something similar with the Airfix WWI Tank. The finish on that was much better. The Cromwell really needs a further coat of silver and I have to tidy up and finish the base.

Any comments welcome.

View attachment 536842

View attachment 536843

View attachment 536844

View attachment 536847

View attachment 536848

View attachment 536849

View attachment 536850

View attachment 536851

View attachment 536852

View attachment 536853

View attachment 536854

Actually the base looks much better on the shelf than in the pictures but wll be finished soon.

I also have the 1/32 Bf109E courtesy of @LARD . That will be done in a couple on months when things are settled and I've practiced with the airbrush (thanks for the airbrush sticky @Daz and co.)

Did he find it in a skip? @Kirkz

LARD

LE

Any comments welcome.

View attachment 536842

View attachment 536843

View attachment 536844

View attachment 536847

View attachment 536848

View attachment 536849

View attachment 536850

View attachment 536851

View attachment 536852

View attachment 536853

View attachment 536854

Who's the one-eyed bloke with the strange hands in picture 6?

Any comments welcome.

View attachment 536842

View attachment 536843

View attachment 536844

View attachment 536847

View attachment 536848

View attachment 536849

View attachment 536850

View attachment 536851

View attachment 536852

View attachment 536853

View attachment 536854

One piece tracks, I'm very jealous ;)

Oh I didn't see any insult. I genuine haven't seen silver for ages (all the antique shops closed ). I have a load of Airfix kits courtesy of Aldi and Lidle which I can now practice on too and paint properly. Any advice is gratefully received.

I haven't modelled for ages, well, not since that day when Wifey came home early from work and I thought Wifey was still at work and I'd tried on this satin basque and ...anyway, practice on Spitfires next.

mmmmm - three fuunies but one "like" from @Daz ! Mate I know your eyesight is bad but it can't be that bad - even I wouldn't fancy myself in a basque!

Daz

LE
mmmmm - three fuunies but one "like" from @Daz ! Mate I know your eyesight is bad but it can't be that bad - even I wouldn't fancy myself in a basque!
What makes you think I can see the other buttons to hit, the thumbs-up is the default offering :)

Interesting. I think We will go for 'No pictures. We believe you' on this post.

Just for a hint of Jape and Jollity
Image Big tank little tank.jpg
I wouldn't mind being immortalised, Yes I know it's a Valentine, 1952 by dad in MG . Thats me in the kleiner Panzerspaehwagen if you didn't guess.

Latest Threads