Cromwell on Politicians

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by socialhandgrenade247, May 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shame he was not a Royalist every thing else I like about him. This is a great quote.

"It is high time for Me to put an End to your Sitting in this Place, which you have dishonoured by your Contempt of all Virtue, and defiled by your Practice of every Vice;
    Ye are a factious Crew and Enemies of all good Government; Ye are a Pack of mercenary Wretches and would, like Esau, Sell your Country for a Mess of Pottage; and like Judas, betray your God for a few Pieces of Money; Is there a single Virtue now remaining amongst you?
    Is there one Vice that you do not possess? Ye have no more Religion than my horse! Gold is your God: Which of you have not bartered your Conscience for Bribes?
    Is there a Man amongst you that has the least care for the Good of the Commonwealth?
    Ye sordid prostitutes! Have you not defiled this Sacred Place, and turned the Lord's Temple into a Den of Thieves by your immoral Principles and wicked Practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole Nation.
    Your Country therefore calls upon me to cleanse the Augean Stable, by putting a final Period to your Iniquitous Proceedings in this House, and which by God's Help, and the strength He has given Me, I now come to do.
    I command ye, therefore, upon the Peril of your Lives, to depart immediately out of this Place;
    Go! Get out! Make haste, ye Venal Slaves, begone!"

Oliver Cromwell 1653.
  2. A man ahead of his time
  3. It will never happen, of course, but I'm begining to think we need another Civil War to rescue this country... :evil:

4. That's two of us in Werewolf......... :evil:
  5. And I hope I'm proven wrong, brother. Because I'll be first in line at the New Model Army recruiting office! 8) :wink:
  6. Make it three, i've got nothing much on this weekend
  7. I bet the New Model Army will have proper kit and less civil servants running it
  8. Surely thats reason enough to get in line :evil:
  9. Where do I sign up? :twisted:
  10. Whatever you might wish to solve this current crisis, the solution is not a civil war, in my opinion. The Civil War laid waste to a large chunk of the country, pitched families against families and killed thousands.

Be careful of what you wish for.

11. In the last civil war however, both sides believed in their respective causes and there were sufficient men willing to fight.

I doubt many would rise to defend Parliament and its MPs these days, whereas there are many who would like to see them rousted out and made accountable for their actions.

Maybe we need something like Napoleon's approach to the French directory and simply send in a company of Grenadiers to clear out the chambers!

Less messy, and I'm sure that whichever battalion is currently based at Knightsbridge could find 100 volunteers for the job.

12. Cromwell did have his naughty side aswell

I mean, apart from the mass slaughter of catholics in Ireland and Scotland, making himself Lord Protector of all England and having anyone who disagreed with him hung........he went and band Christmas!
  13. Cromwell was a polititian first and foremost. But of course when he managed to get an army too he became a dictator. Just think of Gordon Brown as Lord Protector, but not as good looking and you will start to put Cromwell in perspective.
  14. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

IMHO we do NOT need a civil war. This current fiasco is about 600 odd MPs (and Lords probably) screwing the system for cash. It is not a civil war situation where half the country want one thing and half want the other.

What we do need, in my very humble opinion, is for the whole party politcal system to be overhauled and a more democratic system put in place. Currently we have a system whereby we vote for people standing for various parties (I know there are a few Independants). These people are put up by parties and are voted in to represent them by a tiny number of people from the constituency. In reality the people who are put forward are nominees from Central Office. We are not voting for someone to represent us in our constituency but for someone who will bow down to the Party.

I would love to see more Independants standing for Parliament. Parties should have their funding stopped completely - Independants don't get money to advertise themselves, why should a Political Party?

Sorry for taking this off track but I feel that the only way to get truly honest people in parliament, respresenting us and running the country is to remove the power of Central Party Offices over our representatives. Please excuse my niavity :cry:
  15. Ok banning Christmas was one of his less good ideas and mass slaughter is a no no. But maybe a small coup as in the style of "A Very British Coup"