Crocodile bits girls head off

fluffer

War Hero
The youngster and a pal were paddling to their floating school when the 23ft beast bumped their canoe, toppling it over.

Floating school in croc infested waters you say?

Link

"Massive salt water crocs — some bigger than a bus — live in the lake but attacks are rare".
My bold.

I'll believe it when I see it. :D

NoSurrender73

Old-Salt
sweeeeeet

Henry_Tombs said:
"Massive salt water crocs — some bigger than a bus — live in the lake but attacks are rare".
My bold.

When I was a kid the Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow had a skull from a salt water crocodile which had been shot in Papua New Guinea in the 1900s. The skull was 6ft long from nose to neck and 3ft across the jaw.

The school should have take Chief Brody's advice - "You're gonna need a bigger boat".

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
'Yeah, that's it kiddlies, that's how we get to our new school, we row across a crocodile infested lake in small boats mmmmkaaaay?'

You know, there's a few schools in the UK could try that gambit - or better still, rather than detention for little wnakers . . . . . right, you, Jenkins! Swim after school!

Shot a big saltie with an SLR in Borneo from a LAAB in '65. It was on 'their' side of the river so fair game.
Great fun!

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
Head off a 10 year old girl, you say? Gary Glitter's got his reincarnation papers signed already!

Christ, paddling across Croc infested water just to get to school? The ones who make it are harder than "Thems" tadpoles!

No problems with salties here on the sunshine coast!! The sharks eat em!! :p and now the frigging oilspill is killing the sharks and dolphins :x

fluffer

War Hero
Henry_Tombs said:
My bold.

Hmm, i think they might mean mini bus, ive done my research and only crocs that lived 110000000 years ago were the size of a bus us brits see as a bus. link
I have too much time on my hands.

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
Salties are fearsome beasts and nay error...in a famous event, a Jap battalion was retreating from British forces at the tail end of the Burma campaign, and made the mistake of diverting into mangrove swamps. That night, all our lads on the perimeter could hear were screams, splashes and crunching sounds as the salties did their bit for the allied war effort. Scratch one Jap btn.

Account:
"That night [of the 19 February 1945] was the most horrible that any member of the M.L. [marine launch] crews ever experienced. The scattered rifle shots in the pitch black swamp punctured by the screams of wounded men crushed in the jaws of huge reptiles, and the blurred worrying sound of spinning crocodiles made a cacophony of hell that has rarely been duplicated on earth. At dawn the vultures arrived to clean up what the crocodiles had left...Of about 1,000 Japanese soldiers that entered the swamps of Ramree, only about 20 were found alive."

Linky:
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Battle_of_Ramree_Island
Some question over the accuracy of the account, apparently - but that has not stopped one interested Japanese chap from writing novel about the incident, "Dragon of the Mangroves"
http://www.shared-self-publishing.com/inspired-by-the-true-events-of-world-war-ii.html

Still, not all salties are on the right side:
A Scooootish Vietnam War veteran is believed to have been eaten by a saltie in Aussie Northern Territory: Linky:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ns-found-in-crocodile-may-be-scot-961401.html