Critique of the way Marines are depicted in Avatar

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Jan 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting critique of the way Marines are depicted in Avatar. Only someone from "Hollywood" could seriously regard this movie (film) as a "tribute" to the USMC.

2. I agree wholeheartedly, the film is not true to life. Most USMC's I've come across haven't been able to speak English as well as they did in the film!

How can it be a tribute? Avatar is science-fiction.

At the end of the day though, you go to "the movies" to be entertained & regardless of whether or not you were offended by this "tribute" to the USMC; you must admit Avatar is a bloody good film. That's what it's all about, it's just a film and is there to be entertaining.

On a more serious note, I would "do" Neytiri.

3. It's a visually stunning movie about 10ft tall blue cat-people and the writers of Pocahontas, Dances With Wolves and even fecking Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest must have been spewing when the Writers' Guild nominated Cameron for "Best Original Screenplay".

My only enduring concern is that I was oddly aroused by the lead blue cat-woman and kept trying to spot her nips.

4. Perhaps, and I readily admit my bias, but this just like Generation Kill and other films, can lead the audience (remember most have no idea abut the real world of the military) to some very distorted perspectives about the military in general.

5. You left out The Last Samurai. :wink:

6. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

The film is set in 150 yrs time.... I bet the USMC had different attitudes 150 years ago, who knows how things may change?

Or to put more succinctly, who gives a toss, its a (bloody good) glorified cartoon?

7. Considering that the American taxpayers happily shell out a trillion dollars a year to the Pentagon without even asking why, I can't believe that they're likely to overly influenced by a film. If food stamps, lousy schools, no jobs and no health cover doesn't bother them I can't see that a mere blue movie will change their mindsets.

8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

The best phrase I heard to sum up the film is Smurfhontas. I thought it was funny, but then I don't get out much.

9. Only the septics could put up a statue to a war hero who never served a day in the forces so whats wrong with the way they see somthing thats not going to happen for 150 years

10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

oh ffs...

IT'S A FILM.

between this and the 'people feeling suicidal because they'll never be able to go to Pandora' stories the other week, it's enough to make you think we've got more to worry about in the future from plummeting IQ levels than we do about harming the environment.

11. The main character states that the security personnel are mostly ex-Marines who, back on Earth, fought for freedom, but are now merely hired guns working for the mining company. (A close paraphrase of his words.)

I'm very surprised Cameron said all of that patronising crap when he could have stated, in big bold letters, that the film's villains were not Marines but mercenaries. Ah well.

Does it count at all that one of the film's heroines is an (ex-)Marine chopper pilot?

Everybody has their little personal beef with Avatar. Whether it be the right-wingers talking about the film's preaching for environmentalism and anti-WOTerror, or the left-wingers for its 'white-man-saves-the-day' narrative, or the Vatican because of its pantheistic nature-loving, or the Marines because they were personally offended...

12. 1. Avatar.................it's just a movie.

2. Cameron.............Re comments about USMC, (IMHO) just another pig-ignorant attention-ho' seeking adulation and understanding. Probably believes his own publicity as well.

13. My bold, sadly for the majority of the US populus, this is where they learn history from, ask most septices who nicked an enigma machine, or who won the battle of Britain, or who won eother of the WW's, and sadly, they think its GI Joe every time.

To the likes of you and me, and more or less the entire English speaking world, the yanks have and always will be bit part players in the history of world wars or anything slightly related to warfare, ask mr and mrs obese yank in the street, and anything from the boxer rebelion to Rourkes drift to maybe the FI conflict, is an all american gungho stars and stripes spectactular of GI wins the day against nazi oppression every time.

Saying that, im waiting for the full on US version of, "IRANIAN EMBASSY SIEGE, with vengence"
    With the navy seals saving the day......

You laugh, but trust me, going by their past endeavours, it wont be far from coming true.