Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Critically ill man 'former Russian spy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hope Putin phones Peskov and reminds him the Skripals don't want to talk to Russians as Putin tried to have them killed!

For me it is absolutely clear that ms.Skripal sounded prepared text written first in English and then translated to Russian. As a result there are bookish words, some combinations of words that are not used in real life.
Let's look at this fragment
... clinical treatment was invasive, painful and depressing.
Do you understand meaning of word 'invasive' in this context?
invasive | Definition of invasive in English by Oxford Dictionaries

In English word 'invasive' has other meanings and is not rare word at all. But in Russian word INVAZIVNY (=invasive) is a special medical term only. I'm sure that 99% of native Russians would not understand its meaning. This special term would not be used in normal conversations.
Ms.Skripal said (in Russian) GLUBOKO UGNETAYUSHCHIM = deeply depressing. But native Russian speakers don't put these words together. Very depressing - it would be OK but deeply depressing - it is not natural combination.
I know you struggle with this, but we really don't do prepared statements at the point of a gun in civilised nations. We leave that to your goons in the basement of the Lubyanka.

I know you struggle with this, but we really don't do prepared statements at the point of a gun in civilised nations. We leave that to your goons in the basement of the Lubyanka.

Look on the plus side, he understands her use of the medical term invasive to describe the invasive nature of her treatment............even though the invasive part was totally obvious as the invasive surgery on her throat has left a scar.

Perhaps we'll also get an explaination as to why Putin lied about the effect of NA in his recent speech for a Russian audience.
Perhaps Putin thought Russians would believe him when he said death from a Russian NA would be instant...........even though Russians who had military experience or NA training would know that claim was nonsense.

As an aside, with the variety of posters who post under one particular avatar on ARRSE (eg: drunken, clever, poor speller and argumentitive) and who all claim to be the same person I can't help wondering if they ever all meet up abd have an 'I'm Sparticus' moment ;)

Am I alone in thinking the Russian bird looked a whole lot cuter when she walked out for the cameras today? Maybe crossing Dobbie the House Elf is not such a bad idea?

For me it is absolutely clear that ms.Skripal sounded prepared text written first in English and then translated to Russian. As a result there are bookish words, some combinations of words that are not used in real life.

In English word 'invasive' has other meanings and is not rare word at all. But in Russian word INVAZIVNY (=invasive) is a special medical term only. I'm sure that 99% of native Russians would not understand its meaning. This special term would not be used in normal conversations.
Ms.Skripal said (in Russian) GLUBOKO UGNETAYUSHCHIM = deeply depressing. But native Russian speakers don't put these words together. Very depressing - it would be OK but deeply depressing - it is not natural combination.
In other news ‘paid agitprop troll’ who states he’s not a ‘paid agitprop troll’ trots out the same line that the ‘crooks and thieves’ pay him to promote.

Perhaps we'll also get an explaination as to why Putin lied about the effect of NA in his recent speech for a Russian audience.
Perhaps Putin thought Russians would believe him when he said death from a Russian NA would be instant...........even though Russians who had military experience or NA training would know that claim was nonsense.
Bearing in mind that we have in depth accounts of a Russian scientist who was exposed to a novichok NA in the lab who survived and didn't die in 30 seconds, then we know either Putin has no idea or he's lying.

Linky: ‘It’s got me’: the lonely death of the Soviet scientist poisoned by novichok

Strange how the CTers ignore not only this account above, but also accounts from another scientist who was exposed, but didn't die like an actor in a Hollywood movie.

In other news ‘paid agitprop troll’ who states he’s not a ‘paid agitprop troll’ trots out the same line that the ‘crooks and thieves’ pay him to promote.

If KGB_resident is getting paid for this he should get in touch. I am Good CO and have many bridges for sale. Also jet-skis. KGB_resident is our little pet.

The real deal operates out of St Petersburg then daisy-chains their bot-net / zombie job out of.... all over the world. Thats how a DDoS works. Agitprop trolls? Its a bit like surveillance by high-end Rozzers. You do not spot it till its too late.

Ask the Donald.

For me it is absolutely clear that ms.Skripal sounded prepared text.

You think?

‘cos, you know, if you’re not used to being in front of a camera and worried you may be mis-represented, it’s always a good idea to wing-it.

As a result there are bookish words, some combinations of words that are not used in real life.

Prepared statements nearly always sound stilted, usually because the writer is more interested in being accurate than sounding conversational.

There are a multitude of examples of ministers, officials, lawyers and others making a statement to the media that sounds wooden, poorly written or would appear not to have been read through before recitation.

In all their cases no coercion was required for the poor diction; it just happened.

Also, I know of plenty of people who use unusual word combinations in normal speech and consequently tend to sound a bit off-kilter.

JRM is the most obvious example in the public eye, though may I recommend George the Poet for some lyrical word combinations?

She had an invasive medical procedure numbskull, as the recent tracheostomy scar testifies to, so why on earth shouldn’t she describe it as such?

Not using the vernacular is hardly indicative of duress and whether it’s in common parlance in Russia is neither here nor there, though I am interested what you feel the ‘normal’ term would/should be that would have made her statement more acceptable to you.

I appreciate you are paid to agitate and bullshit, however when given a specific thing you and others have been asking for, (namely a statement by a living, breathing person), and all you can do is quibble about the wording, you do realise you sound a bit of an idiot, don’t you?

Bearing in mind that we have in depth accounts of a Russian scientist who was exposed to a novichok NA in the lab who survived and didn't die in 30 seconds, then we know either Putin has no idea or he's lying.

Linky: ‘It’s got me’: the lonely death of the Soviet scientist poisoned by novichok

Strange how the CTers ignore not only this account above, but also accounts from another scientist who was exposed, but didn't die like an actor in a Hollywood movie.

That's missing the point somewhat.
Not all Russians will know of that example, and their state media won't be highlighting it.
On the other hand, we are dealing with an NA and millions of Russians will know that NAs don't kill instantly due to their military training.

That's missing the point somewhat.
Not all Russians will know of that example, and their state media won't be highlighting it.
On the other hand, we are dealing with an NA and millions of Russians will know that NAs don't kill instantly due to their military training.
Yes, I forget sometimes that Putin's message is mainly for domestic consumption.

Yes, I forget sometimes that Putin's message is mainly for domestic consumption.

I was listening to a radio interview yesterday that was talking about the recent Dutch/Australian direct accusation about MH17 that named an individual Russian air defence unit for the shootdown of the airliner.
The SME was saying that even interested Russians who wanted to know the truth were kept in the dark as Russian state media has been consistent that Russia is not to blame and is now reporting a completely different version of what the Dutch/Australians are saying.

At the same time the Russian government (for outsiders) are saying that Russia doesnt respect the authority of any court the Dutch/Australians would wish to take the case too.

It's yet another very current example that the Russian government and state media contsantly tell lies knowing the rest of the world know the Russians are lying.

She’s had a tracheotomy, which easily meets the definition of ‘invasive’ easily whether in English or in Russian. You can even see the obvious tracheotomy scar on her neck, unless you think that someone made it with sellotape or something equally ridiculous.

Really? And I suppose that you believe that PM of the civilized nation never lied
Probably you still believe that Iraq had WMD just before the invasion.

Why do you think it was claimed on the early stage that the investigation will last month?
There is a very natural explanation. Further investigation is needless just because British law-enforcement structures are aware about everything. Now DS10 just keeps silence about the case but there is a problem with ms.Skripal. Her body itself is evidence. If she was kept in artificial coma for many days then respective drugs would be found in her blood.
It explains why the consular access is denied. What if ms.Skripal would say - I wish to return to Russia immediately? There is a tool to blackmail ms.Skripal - it is the fate of her Father, who is in hands of MI5.
For native Russian speaker it is obvious that the text of the statement was written in English and then translated by not native Russian speaker.
So MI5 will keep ms.Skripal isolated as long as possible.

Wibble...
...For native Russian speaker it is obvious that the text of the statement was written in English and then translated by not native Russian speaker.
So MI5 will keep ms.Skripal isolated as long as possible.

I know you struggle with reality but the video of Ms Skripal has here speaking in Russian, or are you now saying the Russian she was speaking was English, translated into Russian by a non native Russian speaker, then read out verbatim by a native Russian speaker?
Your outpourings of bovine effluvia are even less believable than those of the paedodwarf Putin.

Status
Not open for further replies.