Critically ill man 'former Russian spy'

Couple of things going on. Putin has an 'election' going on. No doubt about the outcome since he has murdered or silenced any opposition, but it is important to get the vote out to show he has massive home support. The 'Russia stronk, Vlad stronk' thing plays into that narrative.

Putin believes the West is weak. With good reason. The billions of filthy money flooding into London has gone unchecked for decades. The 14 (now 16) murders carried out on UK soil have gone unanswered. Theresa May blocked a public enquiry into the Litvinenko murder for ten years.

Putin feels he can do what he wants with impunity. About time we snapped to in my view.
Perhaps I should have mentioned the election, but thought that was the most obvious bit and the reason for the whole affair :)
To be 'fair' to Putin, he's only bumped off one of the two main opposition candidates at present.

Less obvious than the instinctive motions of many hundreds of retired British Covert Operators as they wander the shopping areas of our cities today; watch out for grey-whiskered and lumpy/wizened but highly alert old boys Cooper-Weavering into and out of Marks and Spencer on their day-release afternoons. Beige slacks, grey slip-ons and Gannex macs the first indicator.
Gannex, the codeword, operation briar pipe commences.

Couple of points, firstly Vlad wouldn't be turning off our gas (if he supplied it), we are at the end of a pipeline so, he would have to get one of our 'European Partners to do it for him.

Secondly, over 90% of our gas supplies come from local sources, Norway,N Sea,Irish Field,Netherlands, plus the odd tanker, we actually export gas to the Netherlands/Europe when we have surpluses. Maybe the Luddite, anti-fracking brigade should realise that our N Sea supplies are diminishing and, we need our own supplies.
There's a reason we're friendly with those nasty despotic regimes in the ME.

Qatar sees Brexit as chance to supply UK more gas - minister

Vlad is a classic bully and criminal (I use that term advisedly). For yonks he has been pushing. Get no push-back? Push a little more. Ukraine, Crimea, Syria, incursions into NATO airspace, state sponsored cheating in the Olympics, the Litvinenko murder, the St Petersberg Bot factory skewing the US election......

If nobody stands up to a bully, the bully owns you. It is in their nature.
Amen.

Opinion | Russia’s been waging war on the West for years. We just haven’t noticed.

Putin believes the West is weak. With good reason. The billions of filthy money flooding into London has gone unchecked for decades. The 14 (now 16) murders carried out on UK soil have gone unanswered. Theresa May blocked a public enquiry into the Litvinenko murder for ten years.
Why was that?

Vlad is a classic bully and criminal (I use that term advisedly). For yonks he has been pushing. Get no push-back? Push a little more. Ukraine, Crimea, Syria, incursions into NATO airspace, state sponsored cheating in the Olympics, the Litvinenko murder, the St Petersberg Bot factory skewing the US election......

If nobody stands up to a bully, the bully owns you. It is in their nature.
Amen.

Opinion | Russia’s been waging war on the West for years. We just haven’t noticed.
As Trotsky once said 'You may not be interested in war but war is interested in you!'

I've met a few Russians but I don't speak Russian. It generally goes like this (as confirmed to me by a Russian speaker): an initial expansive welcome and they establish whether you speak Russian or not. If you don't, they have a short discussion in Russian to establish whether you're worth talking to (in quite disparaging terms!). If they think you might be useful, they'll continue the expansive bon homie and extract what they can. If you're a PONTI, they'll brush you off and find someone more interesting. They're basically gypos.

They regard the UK as a bit of a non-entity, so when Boris or little Gav get a bit shirty their natural inclination is to laughingly dismiss them. The difference with this spat is they're playing to the world stage and have to show a bit of righteous indignation - but you'll note they're taking their time (a lot of time) weighing up their counter-measures.

They also love to send up the English accent and mannerisms on their comedy circuit -
Hilarious. Alexi Sayle must be shitting himself.

Last edited: