Critically ill man 'former Russian spy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interesting to see what TM goes for. This is as close to a Falklands moment as she's likely to get. The public is more politically engaged than it has been for a long time and will expect her to come down hard.
It's also the first time since she's been in power that the lead story on News At Ten didn't feature the word "Brexit". She might be happy enough just to revel in that for a while.

Alas Vlad is no Galtieri and Theresa May is no Thatcher, she's going nowhere without Washington (and frankly probably Berlin & Paris also) and her lead will be well short.

It's also the first time since she's been in power that the lead story on News At Ten didn't feature the word "Brexit". She might be happy enough just to revel in that for a while.

Alas Vlad is no Galtieri and Theresa may is no Thatcher, she's going nowhere without Washington (and frankly probably Berlin & Paris also) and her lead will be well short.
Agreed, but:

1) There's a fair amount she can do unilaterally. A lot of Russian money moves through the city.
2) Trump has a lot to gain from taking a hard line on Putin. It helps distance him domestically, and increased sanctions will shift the demand for gas from Russia to the US.

Will be interesting to see what TM goes for. This is as close to a Falklands moment as she's likely to get. The public is more politically engaged than it has been for a long time and will expect her to come down hard.
Personally confiscate enough money from Vlad cronies in the UK to pay for a new fleet of MIVs and the first 3 years of BREXIT seems ideal, but giving it to the NHS is more likely.

Alas Vlad is no Galtieri and Theresa May is no Thatcher, she's going nowhere without Washington (and frankly probably Berlin & Paris also) and her lead will be well short.
Any administration which ignores the current state of play should reflect on the possibility of a similar act on their turf (or worse) and how their appeal for support could be heard.

Agreed, but:

1) There's a fair amount she can do unilaterally. A lot of Russian money moves through the city.
2) Trump has a lot to gain from taking a hard line on Putin. It helps distance him domestically, and increased sanctions will shift the demand for gas from Russia to the US.

I will still give very good odds on Mrs. May speaking loudly and brandishing a very small stick.
Magitsky Lite is not the way for a nation supposedly trying to set itself up as a low regulation financial soft power to go, and I suspect that she'll already have had that whispered in her shell like. That said, I fully expect some Putinistas to take a financial hit, the Attache for Vodka imports to be declared PNG and half the world to withdraw from the the World Cup.

Anyone still arguing that we should bin Trident?
I think its time to cut overseas aid, make sure Google, facebook and co pay a proportionate amount of tax. So that we can build up our armed forces and make Britain Great again. If we can spare 40 billion to give to the EU then there must be more money hidden under Tiggers sofa.

Nothing much is actually likely to happen, so I thought it might be fun to have a round of
FANTASY REPRISALS LEAGUE.
What response would bring Arrsers most satisfaction?
A) a cyberattack on the Russian election results so that Putin appears not to have won, followed by immmediate recognition of his opponents
B) sabotage of Russian gas infrastructure just after Brexit, screwing his export income and most of the EU energy supplies.
C) Putin's assassination, claimed by "Crimean separatists".
D) Your suggestion?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Nothing much is actually likely to happen, so I thought it might be fun to have a round of
FANTASY REPRISALS LEAGUE.
What response would bring Arrsers most satisfaction?
A) a cyberattack on the Russian election results so that Putin appears not to have won, followed by immmediate recognition of his opponents
B) sabotage of Russian gas infrastructure just after Brexit, screwing his export income and most of the EU energy supplies.
C) Putin's assassination, claimed by "Crimean separatists".
D) Your suggestion?

England to win the World Cup,
Brexit a roaring success.

Look on tbe bright side, as almost the entire worlds population don't play it it's always going to be an American team that win whatever competitions you have :)

Guaranteed win win :)
I don't think most of the world could play the sport. Maybe some of the Rugby types but they would have to get used to being hit by guys that are much, much bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.