Critically ill man 'former Russian spy'

An old story spring to mind.
Then I was a student (1974-79) of Moscow university I had to learn the history of the Communist party.
Our professor - not bad historian used to tell some funny stories to flourish his dull lectures (especially dull for us mathematicians). Once he recalled this one.
Lenin (maybe you have heard about him) travelled in Germany by train. A german in his compartment began to discuss progress (in its wide meaning). Apparently being super-conservative he said:
- I like progress, but only modest progress. And in the expression 'modest progress' I like more word 'modest'.
Lenin replayed
- I like porridge but only porridge in a pot and in the expression 'porridge in a pot' I like more a pot.
From my point of view the joke was not good at all.
After the end of the lecture I told my friends
- I like tea but more like coffee. But only coffee with cognac. And in the expression 'coffee with cognac' I like more...
Does the evening sun shine red on the Kremlin walls?

Only when the geese fly south for winter.

1]One biscuit of a plain type such as Rich Tea. Digestive is acceptable but on no account must be covered in chocolate ( either milk or plain).
2] Biscuit to be accepted only if offered. One initial refusal is required.
3] Fig or other biscuits with a fondant, sweet or other inclusion are forbidden and must not be accepted. In the past, Jammie Dodgers have been used to curry favour. These are expressly forbidden by name and subject to fine of half a days pay if accepted.
4] Tea of a standard type may be accepted. Sugar may be used if offered but not requested. Exceeding two teaspoons is to be considered impolite but will not attract discipline.
5] Requests for favour given in food or drink are strictly forbidden.

I am adapting an old police standing orders for the troll canteen at the moment. This sounds about right but their lack of cooperation is causing problems, in particular their lack of input on both the biscuit and coffee machine front.

COME ON gents. I need input.

You don’t believe the ‘chain of evidence’ or in this case the ‘chain of custody’ by OPCW then? Identification of the people, drawing of samples and inspection of samples from them and elsewhere?

If you don’t believe the ‘chain of custody’ there is.

Personally, I think that Johnson opened his gob a bit too much. Not for the first or even the last time.
Chain of custody? What does it mean in real world? How the procedure was performed? By whom?

Chain of custody? What does it mean in real world? How the procedure was performed? By whom?
I understand your befuddlement, as the chain of custody would be alien to the Muscovite. Please feel free to use this definition:

Chain of custody (CoC), in legal contexts, refers to the chronological documentation or paper trail that records the sequence of custody, control, transfer, analysis, and disposition of physical or electronic evidence.

Ah, shift change. Poor HOTO notes when it was explained earlier: https://www.opcw.org/fileadmin/OPCW/S_series/2018/en/s-1612-2018_e_.pdf
4. The team was able to collect blood samples from the three affected individuals under full chain of custody for delivery to the OPCW Laboratory and subsequent analysis by OPCW designated laboratories, and conducted identification of the three individuals against official photo-ID documents.

5. The team was able to conduct on-site sampling of environmental samples under full chain of custody at sites identified as possible hot-spots of residual contamination. Samples were returned to the OPCW Laboratory for subsequent analysis by OPCW designated laboratories.

6. The team requested and received splits of samples taken by British authorities for delivery to the OPCW Laboratory in Rijswijk, the Netherlands, and subsequent analysis by OPCW designated laboratories. This was done for comparative purposes and to verify the analysis of the United Kingdom
Definition explained above: Chain of custody - Wikipedia
Chain of custody (CoC), in legal contexts, refers to the chronological documentation or paper trail that records the sequence of custody, control, transfer, analysis, and disposition of physical or electronic evidence.

Particularly important in criminal cases, the concept is also applied in civil litigation—and sometimes more broadly in drug testing of athletes, and in supply chain management, e.g. to improve the traceability of food products, or to provide assurances that wood products originate from sustainably managed forests.

The term is also sometimes used in the fields of history, art history, and archives as a synonym for provenance (meaning the chronology of the ownership, custody or location of a historical object, document or group of documents), which may be an important factor in determining authenticity.
It's like when the samples of the blood of your athletes were intercepted by the FSB and swapped. The 'chain of custody' was broken in that instance. In this instance they were happy they had full control of the samples from taking them to examining them.

I noted that the procedure of blood samples taking was not transparent.
It must be transparent otherwise you would not know how much blood you were taking. Have you never had blood taken before or do they just slit your arm open. Can you tell us what this procedure was as you imply that you were there.

Who are these experts? Who are they personally?
Selected by OPCW. Neither you or I have any need to know who they are and that ensures that next time they get into their car it does not go bang, or they fall out of a 10th floor window even when they like in a bungalow.

Maybe all of them are Americans or/and the French. Technically it is possible.
And the problem with that would be?

Do I believe OPCW experts in this case? Not completely.
You are contradicting yourself, you either believe them or not. A simple statement of yes or no.

1]One biscuit of a plain type such as Rich Tea. Digestive is acceptable but on no account must be covered in chocolate ( either milk or plain).
3] Fig or other biscuits with a fondant, sweet or other inclusion are forbidden and must not be accepted. In the past, Jammie Dodgers have been used to curry favour. These are expressly forbidden by name and subject to fine of half a days pay if accepted.
4] Tea of a standard type may be accepted. Sugar may be used if offered but not requested. Exceeding two teaspoons is to be considered impolite but will not attract discipline.

I am adapting an old police standing orders for the troll canteen at the moment. This sounds about right but their lack of cooperation is causing problems, in particular their lack of input on both the biscuit and coffee machine front.

Can we have hot chocolate in lue of tea and biscuit.

If they are cheap digestives can you have two adn can you dunk? (my mother used to dunk her toast in her coffee, she said it was from her French ancestors. When we were sorting out her papers after her death we found out that she was more cockney than Chas and Dave.)

I've worked for a few blue chip financial companies. The free drinks machines were wonderful but the very subsidised staff resturants with in-house chefswere top class. I felt such a fool when i left working for a police for to work for a bank and brought along my shiney new mug and jar of coffee - i was taken to one side and shown the bank of machines - hot, cold, fizzy - it was caffeine heaven.

Almost feel sorry for Comrade It (hmmmm not really, he just takes the place of someone who would contribute to the planet)

That's really interesting. Makes you wonder. You're right, we need input from other areas. Much more interesting than crimes perpetrated by foreigners with poor English and funny accents

I've worked for a few blue chip financial companies. The free drinks machines were wonderful but the very subsidised staff resturants with in-house chefswere top class. I felt such a fool when i left working for a police for to work for a bank and brought along my shiney new mug and jar of coffee - i was taken to one side and shown the bank of machines - hot, cold, fizzy - it was caffeine heaven.

Almost feel sorry for Comrade It (hmmmm not really, he just takes the place of someone who would contribute to the planet)
My little boy moved last year to head office. They have free cold drink machines, he didn't mention hot but they may have those too. If you are working late they also provide a good meal. After a week of free coca cola the novelty wore off and he is now on water as it's better for his health. Some time things are too good.

It has occured to me that they know who did it. They are just waiting for them to leave Russia again and enter a country who will extradite them to the UK. Secret European Arrest Warrant may come in handy.

The European Arrest Warrant (EAW) is an arrest warrant valid throughout all member states of the European Union (EU). Once issued, it requires another member state to arrest and transfer a criminal suspect or sentenced person to the issuing state so that the person can be put on trial or complete a detention period.

My little boy moved last year to head office. They have free cold drink machines, he didn't mention hot but they may have those too. If you are working late they also provide a good meal. After a week of free coca cola the novelty wore off and he is now on water as it's better for his health. Some time things are too good.
Yep - my "thinking time" was a wander to the machine - I was drinking way too much strong coffee (I avoided the fizzy stuff except in summer...and as for the subsidised food! - Two or three courses at lunchtime. All my clothes appeared to shrink! I worked at a public school for a year - same thing except i was so sleepy after lunch!

Last edited:
Note to Putin's Poodles.
Unlike in Russia, "chain of custody" really does mean nothing's been tampered with, which cannot be said to be the norm in Russia (cf Russian athletes' dope tests).

Can we have hot chocolate in lue of tea and biscuit.
I think not. Hot chocolate smacks of luxury and privilege, plus I didn't think of that one so am sulking.

If they are cheap digestives can you have two adn can you dunk?
This is a difficult one. Generally, cheap digestives are acceptable in a first contact scenario and two would be allowed. However, the total monetary value of the cheap digestives (2) shall not exceed the total monetary value of the more expensive digestive (1). As a concession, cheap digestives with an excess of holes may be numbered at three (3) providing that the number of holes is not less than twenty five (25) and not exceeding thirty (30). Subject to the excess in regards of monetary value.

Dunking is only allowed in camera. To give an example. A work troll may acquire said biscuit and take it to the toilet and dunk it in the bowl providing water is present. If tea dunking is desired, troll may take sufficient tea to the toilet to carry out said dunking. An excess of tea may not be taken to the toilet. Failure to comply will attract a six year custodial sentence in Tamrog ( without parole).

Public dunking gives a poor impression of Ru etiquette and is discouraged, usually with a round to the brain stem commuted to a twelve year stint as arrse resident outed troll.

I think I am getting there.

I think not. Hot chocolate smacks of luxury and privilege, plus I didn't think of that one so am sulking.

This is a difficult one. Generally, cheap digestives are acceptable in a first contact scenario and two would be allowed. However, the total monetary value of the cheap digestives (2) shall not exceed the total monetary value of the more expensive digestive (1). As a concession, cheap digestives with an excess of holes may be numbered at three (3) providing that the number of holes is not less than twenty five (25) and not exceeding thirty (30). Subject to the excess in regards of monetary value.

Dunking is only allowed in camera. To give an example. A work troll may acquire said biscuit and take it to the toilet and dunk it in the bowl providing water is present. If tea dunking is desired, troll may take sufficient tea to the toilet to carry out said dunking. An excess of tea may not be taken to the toilet. Failure to comply will attract a six year custodial sentence in Tamrog ( without parole).

Public dunking gives a poor impression of Ru etiquette and is discouraged, usually with a round to the brain stem commuted to a twelve year stint as arrse resident outed troll.

I think I am getting there.
Russia has no biscuits. You cannot prove that Russia has biscuits. Where are your proofs?

. . . and if Russia did have biscuits, they would be better than US Trump and poodle UK biscuits.

But also, Russia invented biscuits, the custard cream, the bourbon, the Garibaldi, all Russian. The Jaffa cake is a bourguois biscuit which is not a biscuit and would be placed against the wall.

Here are the biscuits of glorious Russia. You see they are of all flavours and are strong biscuits to withstand dunking and to last long time and give moneys worth. Also the glorious biscuits give glossy hair and white teeth and the black ones help with the wind.

But also, Russia invented biscuits, the custard cream, the bourbon, the Garibaldi, all Russian. The Jaffa cake is a bourguois biscuit which is not a biscuit and would be placed against the wall.

Here are the biscuits of glorious Russia. You see they are of all flavours and are strong biscuits to withstand dunking and to last long time and give moneys worth. Also the glorious biscuits give glossy hair and white teeth and the black ones help with the wind.

But Russia has no biscuits. You have no proofs. What about biscuits that were planted by CIA and Mossad?

. . . and Russian biscuits have different markers and signatures which could be copied by Ukraine.

If we had biscuits. Which we do not.