Crisp and Sons - (Swords) - Are they still trading?

I am aware that there is a sword thread, however this is a bit more specific.
Friend of mine sent a sword in to Crisp and sons to have it refurbished last summer.

He's paid but has heard nothing more. He has phoned (no answer) and emailed but heard nothing. I have also tried to get in touch, all I'm getting is radio silence.

Companies House tried to strike them off last Oct 18, but this was successfully defended and the action discontinued. Curious.

As he lives right up North, I have offered to drop by and see what's what and if I can retrieve the sword. He's not bothered if the work is done or not, he just wants it back (it's a family heirloom).

Before I do and find it possibly shuttered and closed, does the Arrse collective know/heard anything?

Rgds

KoR

EDITED TO ADD -
PLEASE SEE UPDATE BELOW - 24 JAN 18

Last edited:
Sounds concerning and of interest as I was about to send mine to them. That said a new lot recently popped up on FB, can't remember but I'm sure they'll be google-able.

Update: So have just tripped across this review on Google.
I would suggest if you have kit with them to get down there pronto!

mike james
3 reviews
3 hours ago-
This business is no longer in business. The web site is a complete sham in what it shows. We sent my grandfathers sword there in May last year. After hearing nothing, no reply to numerous emails, no reply to any phone calls we ended up having to camp outside to recover our property. Do not send anything to this company, they are being evicted this week, and if your have property there get down this week you may be lucky to get it.

I have been tracking the same over the last couple of weeks, and had absolutely no luck trying to get hold of them. I also have a family heirloom sword that has been there for the past year, and I have paid ££. I am deploying to warmer places next week and live to far away to drive there.... very frustrating. Any suggestion on how to get my sword back would be gratefully received.

I have been tracking the same over the last couple of weeks, and had absolutely no luck trying to get hold of them. I also have a family heirloom sword that has been there for the past year, and I have paid ££. I am deploying to warmer places next week and live to far away to drive there.... very frustrating. Any suggestion on how to get my sword back would be gratefully received.
Report it to the local constabulary as a a theft. Tell them you know who has it and they're refusing to give it back. Insist on a crime number. Don't let them stat it and f*ck it off.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Short Version: Don't panic! Crisp and Sons are not trading, but they are trying to get swords back to people.
So lets work with them to make this happen.

Longer version: The business was started by Raymond (the father) and his son Alex took over running it. Ray is now in his 70s, so can't go on forever. They hired an apprentice, spent 3.5years training him, then he walked in one day and quit. This is quite a unique craft and like so many of these things, its a skill that is dying out.

They soldiered on but the work has been piling up. Very sadly, Alex has become very ill and is incapacitated
(for the sake of the family just leave it at that).
This means they can't get into the computers to access invoices, its all a bit of a mess. The office manager eventually had enough an quit, Ray is an old chap, computers are not his forte.

Ray has taken some swords to finish off and he is now trying to get them back to their owners.
There is a table in the foyer with completed swords, some untouched ones in a store outback. All have invoices or quotes attached, but the contact details can vary from just a name, some have full contact details, etc.

I should add that Matt the landlord is a stand up guy and hats off to him; he is really trying to help here too.
He let me in and I retrieved the one I went for; I have also picked up one destined for the 1st Batt Mercians.
Handily it had a phone number, so I made contact; as its a mess presentation piece for a deceased officer so I will be dropping that one off.

I have left my details and I am hoping the other son, Matthew will be in touch and I'm going to see if we can come up with a better way to unpick this all. In the meantime, if you have kit with them, get all the paperwork you have, particularly invoices if you have paid, etc. Then just wait a bit. Matthew/Ray may get in touch directly.
I'm thinking that maybe we can arrange an open day for people to go and retrieve kit. As I say I'm waiting for them to get in touch. Once I have some more solid detail then we can rebro the plan.

Its actually all very sad. Some really lovely kit in there, real craftsmanship; But there are just so many swords in there, RAF, RN, Army, all sorts of stuff. I feel genuinely feel for the Crisp family and I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

Ray is getting on a bit, he certainly doesn't want any grief. So if you go down there it is closed.
Although Ray is popping in (he is there this PM, maybe) and the landlord Matt has had a quite a few people turning up, but its not his kit to give back so he is caught in the middle and I don't want to see his goodwill abused.

As I understand it their current intent is to return peoples property, I would suggest for the moment that we try and help and save the pitchforks and burning torches for later.

More info to follow if/ as I get it.

Rgds

KoR

Some names I spotted:

Maj RP Grenfell
Henry Wilson
Dennis Thompson

KoR
I have just spoken to Matt - entirely agree with you - he is a great guy who is trying to help out where possible. He said it was ok to give his work number on here - 01825 841 175. People can get in touch with him to arrange collection of swords whether complete/still in bits/not starts.

It is the best news I have had all week!

ugly

LE
I clicked when I read the phone number, its just up the road from me, 20 minutes by car. I am happy to help out recover and store swords for people (provided you can prove ownership and Crisp and Sons agree) until they can be collected. Please if this is of benefit let me know!

I clicked when I read the phone number, its just up the road from me, 20 minutes by car. I am happy to help out recover and store swords for people (provided you can prove ownership and Crisp and Sons agree) until they can be collected. Please if this is of benefit let me know!
Thanks for the offer, but I have now arranged for mine to be collected next week.

It may be people are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and it may be that they are (were) such masters of an archaic art they are unable to even communicate with people in a 21st century fashion.

That said I am glad my badmin and doubts about posting from overseas saw me fail to ping them my sword, I would be screaming mad to be ignored about my enquiries regarding heirloom property send to a craftsman on good faith.

As an aside, Sussex Swords are still advertising them as the party who does refurbishment for them. Perhaps all Sword related firms are crap at electronic presence, but advertising a dead firm does not fill me with confidence about Sussex.

A quick google shows a Pooley Swords who undertake refurbishment having bought old tooling sets from Wilkinson when they banged out from the sword side of the business.

So who does everyone recommend for refurbishing swords now then?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ugly

LE
So who does everyone recommend for refurbishing swords now then?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
what he said
A quick google shows a Pooley Swords who undertake refurbishment having bought old tooling sets from Wilkinson when they banged out from the sword side of the business.
Based at Shoreham airport!

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Short Version: Don't panic! Crisp and Sons are not trading, but they are trying to get swords back to people.
So lets work with them to make this happen.

Longer version: The business was started by Raymond (the father) and his son Alex took over running it. Ray is now in his 70s, so can't go on forever. They hired an apprentice, spent 3.5years training him, then he walked in one day and quit. This is quite a unique craft and like so many of these things, its a skill that is dying out.

They soldiered on but the work has been piling up. Very sadly, Alex has become very ill and is incapacitated
(for the sake of the family just leave it at that).
This means they can't get into the computers to access invoices, its all a bit of a mess. The office manager eventually had enough an quit, Ray is an old chap, computers are not his forte.

Ray has taken some swords to finish off and he is now trying to get them back to their owners.
There is a table in the foyer with completed swords, some untouched ones in a store outback. All have invoices or quotes attached, but the contact details can vary from just a name, some have full contact details, etc.

I should add that Matt the landlord is a stand up guy and hats off to him; he is really trying to help here too.
He let me in and I retrieved the one I went for; I have also picked up one destined for the 1st Batt Mercians.
Handily it had a phone number, so I made contact; as its a mess presentation piece for a deceased officer so I will be dropping that one off.

I have left my details and I am hoping the other son, Matthew will be in touch and I'm going to see if we can come up with a better way to unpick this all. In the meantime, if you have kit with them, get all the paperwork you have, particularly invoices if you have paid, etc. Then just wait a bit. Matthew/Ray may get in touch directly.
I'm thinking that maybe we can arrange an open day for people to go and retrieve kit. As I say I'm waiting for them to get in touch. Once I have some more solid detail then we can rebro the plan.

Its actually all very sad. Some really lovely kit in there, real craftsmanship; But there are just so many swords in there, RAF, RN, Army, all sorts of stuff. I feel genuinely feel for the Crisp family and I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

Ray is getting on a bit, he certainly doesn't want any grief. So if you go down there it is closed.
Although Ray is popping in (he is there this PM, maybe) and the landlord Matt has had a quite a few people turning up, but its not his kit to give back so he is caught in the middle and I don't want to see his goodwill abused.

As I understand it their current intent is to return peoples property, I would suggest for the moment that we try and help and save the pitchforks and burning torches for later.

More info to follow if/ as I get it.

Rgds

KoR

Some names I spotted:

Maj RP Grenfell
Henry Wilson
Dennis Thompson
I know a Major R Grenfell (Retd) - Junior Leader with him back in the day. I will see if I can give him a heads up.

Edited to add: Message passed. Hopefully Maj. RP G will get his sword back. Shame about the circumstances of Crisp and Sons' demise.

Last edited:
Hey there guys,

Same situation. My sword, family heirloom as well, hasn’t been returned to me since it went there in sep/Oct. I have my wedding in a few weeks and I’m starting to flap about not having it. I’m based in Plymouth, are people just getting in comms with them and collecting their swords? So far I’ve had no replies.

QARN

Crow
Unfortunately I purchased a sword from crisp and sons a year ago and have nothing but issues with it. There are big green spots of oxidisation on the hilt. I have sent it back once and it came back 4 months later even worse! Also they had put the blade back on crooked and the hilt no longer clips onto the scabbard. Whilst I agree it’s sad about the family I know have a sword I cannot use that I brought for my husband as an engagement present.
I have been in touch with Pooley swords and they won’t touch it as apparently crisp and sons have been using blades made in the USA so they cannot guarantee it’s not something in the blade that is reacting with the hilt.
Any ideas anyone of what I can do?

I have the same issue, they have had my sword in for > 1 year to refurbish. I did chase last year and got a reply from Louise Bush to the effect that it was due to be started on. So I am also needing to just get it back, in one or several pieces. I work Mon-Fri so I can't just pop down and sit outside. I have left a message on the phone number above and hope that I can arrange something without making too much work for the landlords.

I have the paperwork with the serial numbers and the quotation etc...so Ugly, if you are still offering...

It's a shame when a family business folds, but the swords are ours and not the receivers.

Matthew returned my call today and said that Raymond Crisp had taken away with him the swords that were 'in progress', so that he might at least re-assemble them. Raymond has agreed to return those to Matthew - perhaps half a dozen, and Matthew can then see about reuniting them with their owners. Mine is among those; frankly even if it comes back in kit form, the blade and basket are the key items and I can then just look for someone else to finish the work. I can't speak too highly of Matthew for doing all this work.

Latest Threads