Crisis with the Euro? No - it's Expansion as Normal!

Jeezus.. Turkey's chief negotiator Egemen Bagis: "Europe cannot be without Turkey" ... oh yes we ****ing can. Membership for Turkey would be the final nail in the coffin for the UK as we know it. They would flock here in thier thousands.

LT.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Crisis with the Euro? No. Oh hang on, Spanish bank prices have just dropped 25%!

CMD was all in favour in 2010:

“When I think about what Turkey has done to defend Europe as a Nato ally ... it makes me angry that your progress towards EU membership can be frustrated in the way it has been,” Mr Cameron will say to an audience of business leaders. “My view is clear. I believe it’s just wrong to say Turkey can guard the camp but not be allowed to sit inside the tent.”

One provocative passage will even compare the French obstructionism to General Charles de Gaulle’s veto of British accession to the EU. “We know what it is like to be shut out of the club,” he is expected to say."

We want them in for several reasons- but mostly 'cos it pisses the French off.

If it joined, its 90 million population would give it extremely large voting rights. In fact, THE largest. It would (Under current rules) have the largest individual voting bloc, breaking the Franco-German axis. That's why the French don't want them in.

“When I think about what Turkey has done to defend Europe as a Nato ally ... it makes me angry that your progress towards EU membership can be frustrated in the way it has been,” Mr Cameron will say to an audience of business leaders. “My view is clear. I believe it’s just wrong to say Turkey can guard the camp but not be allowed to sit inside the tent.”

One provocative passage will even compare the French obstructionism to General Charles de Gaulle’s veto of British accession to the EU. “We know what it is like to be shut out of the club,” he is expected to say."

If it joined, its 90 million population would give it extremely large voting rights. In fact, THE largest. It would (Under current rules) have the largest individual voting bloc, breaking the Franco-German axis. That's why the French don't want them in.

Yeh but when Cameron said all that he did so in the full knowledge that ze Germans and French will go to great lengths not to have Turkey in the EU
Its all about context and politician speak. Cameron knew he could say that without any great fear of Turkey getting in

He may well welcome Turkey and they may even (although I tend to agree with Jagman's erudite post below) be allowed to join but if he has any sense he wont open up our borders to them in the same way Labour opened up our borders when all the Eastbloc came on board. Things haven't changed, we still can't support a huge influx, but the Government have. Let's hope they've learned from past mistakes.

If it was still just a common market there would be no problem, however.

Jeezus.. Turkey's chief negotiator Egemen Bagis: "Europe cannot be without Turkey" ... oh yes we ****ing can. Membership for Turkey would be the final nail in the coffin for the UK as we know it. They would flock here in thier thousands.
**** that, I'd go there. Apart from the people (both tourists and locals), the coastal resorts are lovely.

Alsacien

MIA
Yeh but when Cameron said all that he did so in the full knowledge that ze Germans and French will go to great lengths not to have Turkey in the EU
Its all about context and politician speak. Cameron knew he could say that without any great fear of Turkey getting in
What he said, it will never get off the first page.

Some sort of privileged trading status is more likely.

I'm guessing we're scraping the bottom of the EU coffers and Turkey's membership and dowry will add to the bottomless pit of EU expenditure. Greece is far to busy surviving to dissent and even if they do raise their now insignificant voice...who's gonna listen.

He may well welcome Turkey and they may even (although I tend to agree with Jagman's erudite post below) be allowed to join but if he has any sense he wont open up our borders to them in the same way Labour opened up our borders when all the Eastbloc came on board. Things haven't changed, we still can't support a huge influx, but the Government have. Let's hope they've learned from past mistakes.

Haha, you make me laugh....

I had an interesting perspective from a Turkish guy last week - he said something to the effect of, "The French will never let us in because our agricultural products are so much cheaper - a tomato costs 3 pence [centimes/cents] in Turkey". Food for thought!

In the last 8 years, Turkey's national debt has gone down from 104% of GDP to 45%. I think they'd be the stupid ones for joining the EU.

I had an interesting perspective from a Turkish guy last week - he said something to the effect of, "The French will never let us in because our agricultural products are so much cheaper - a tomato costs 3 pence [centimes/cents] in Turkey". Food for thought!
Not when I was there they bloody well didn't. Thieving bastards.

If Turkey were let in even to the limited free-trade zone without being members (a-la Switzerland) then there would still be free movement of people as this is a condition of the free-trade perks even if you're not a full member.

What on earth is Cameron thinking? Posing domestically as anti-EU but at the same time talking about expanding it letting every lunatic from Turkey come and go with no possible border controls. Demented.

Can we do swapsies, Greece for Turkey?

The falafels better, they are a geo political asset and useful in a ruck, their economy is thriving, they work harder than the clock watching Germans and unlike the busted Bubbles they can actually afford to buy herds of Leopard IIs so our new overlords get their spa time and don't get all grumpy.

Actually the way things are going in six months time swapping France and its busted banks for Turkey may be looking pretty sweet.

Not when I was there they bloody well didn't. Thieving bastards.

If Turkey were let in even to the limited free-trade zone without being members (a-la Switzerland) then there would still be free movement of people as this is a condition of the free-trade perks even if you're not a full member.

What on earth is Cameron thinking? Posing domestically as anti-EU but at the same time talking about expanding it letting every lunatic from Turkey come and go with no possible border controls. Demented.
Well I did assume he was not speaking from an entirely neutral position. And we were in Kurdistan, where he insisted there had never been issues between the Kursd and the Turks.

Turkey allowed into Europe, never happen, the germans will never live with that.

CG

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I saw an advert for The Spectator on the train the other day, it read:-
"Most Germans own a holiday property"
"It's called Greece"