Crisis with the Euro? No - it's Expansion as Normal!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rmgbem, May 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Jeezus.. Turkey's chief negotiator Egemen Bagis: "Europe cannot be without Turkey" ... oh yes we ****ing can. Membership for Turkey would be the final nail in the coffin for the UK as we know it. They would flock here in thier thousands.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crisis with the Euro? No. Oh hang on, Spanish bank prices have just dropped 25%!
  3. CMD was all in favour in 2010:

“When I think about what Turkey has done to defend Europe as a Nato ally ... it makes me angry that your progress towards EU membership can be frustrated in the way it has been,” Mr Cameron will say to an audience of business leaders. “My view is clear. I believe it’s just wrong to say Turkey can guard the camp but not be allowed to sit inside the tent.”

One provocative passage will even compare the French obstructionism to General Charles de Gaulle’s veto of British accession to the EU. “We know what it is like to be shut out of the club,” he is expected to say."

We want them in for several reasons- but mostly 'cos it pisses the French off.

If it joined, its 90 million population would give it extremely large voting rights. In fact, THE largest. It would (Under current rules) have the largest individual voting bloc, breaking the Franco-German axis. That's why the French don't want them in.

4. Yeh but when Cameron said all that he did so in the full knowledge that ze Germans and French will go to great lengths not to have Turkey in the EU
    Its all about context and politician speak. Cameron knew he could say that without any great fear of Turkey getting in
  5. He may well welcome Turkey and they may even (although I tend to agree with Jagman's erudite post below) be allowed to join but if he has any sense he wont open up our borders to them in the same way Labour opened up our borders when all the Eastbloc came on board. Things haven't changed, we still can't support a huge influx, but the Government have. Let's hope they've learned from past mistakes.
  6. If it was still just a common market there would be no problem, however.
  7. Well there's nothing posh about it Dear.
  8. **** that, I'd go there. Apart from the people (both tourists and locals), the coastal resorts are lovely.
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

What he said, it will never get off the first page.

Some sort of privileged trading status is more likely.
  10. The Euro Zone does have its problems, but this is not a Euro Zone issue and probably never will be, unless the Euro survives long enough to invite Turkey into it!

Then Greece all over again!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I'm guessing we're scraping the bottom of the EU coffers and Turkey's membership and dowry will add to the bottomless pit of EU expenditure. Greece is far to busy surviving to dissent and even if they do raise their now insignificant voice...who's gonna listen.

12. Haha, you make me laugh....
  13. I had an interesting perspective from a Turkish guy last week - he said something to the effect of, "The French will never let us in because our agricultural products are so much cheaper - a tomato costs 3 pence [centimes/cents] in Turkey". Food for thought!
  14. In the last 8 years, Turkey's national debt has gone down from 104% of GDP to 45%. I think they'd be the stupid ones for joining the EU.