Criminalisation of Accidents

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by spike7451, Apr 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Found this on 'The Goat',quite worrying.

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=24143

http://www.alae.org/index.php?p=54&pp=0&i=103&title=Criminalisation_of_Accidents

2. Spike, this has been mentioned before, and obviously another one from the "Good Ideas Club". From a Flight Safety point of view If the MOD go down this route our open culture with fault reporting and mishandling incidents would dry up almost overnight. We rely on everyones honesty and integrity to stay safe, if this happens then post accident/incident investigations will take forever due to the inevitable "clamming up" until your Lawyer arrives.

3. Why worrying, its always been that way. Why do you think the F700 is the first thing to get quarantined if an incident occurs.

4. To quarantine the paper work to 1, ensure it was serviced correctly and 2, to ensure it was signed for by the crew. Nowt to do with 'criminalising' but more to do with correct BOI procedure.

I fully agree with timex. Although I think the article is misleading. If a person is found to be grossly negligent (quite difficult to prove) then it may be considered a criminal offence already. No change there. I don't think we nned to worry too much.

5. I'm with Flash, an accident is just that. If it is deemed an avoidable accident then the wheels are set into motion to ascertain if any criminal charges are appropriate. Although, along with the rest of us, I can not claim to whiter than white, as a general rule, if you follow the rules, you are going to be OK.

6. And if not serviced correctly watch the tech charges fly. Have always been aware that any action causing death by negligence in the aviation trades carried the possibility of a manslaughter charge, whether military or civil aviation. Another non news event.

7. I don't think this is anything new, since the repeal of Sect 6 (?) of the Crown Prosecution Act, when MoD employees lost Crown Immunity. I reckon the subject has cropped up again following recent Boards of Inquiry and Inquests, where MoD have been slated for driving a bus through their safety regulations.

Dannatt was banging on about this in January, calling for cases of gross negligence to be pursued. Down in the trenches this was construed as MoD having been given the heads up after the Nimrod fiasco that something must change.