Criminal record

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Sid_Ruff, Nov 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Filling in forms that need to disclose any criminal records, is there a way to check and see if convictions are still on the record?
  2. I think anything within the last 7 years must be declared.
  3. Go down to the nearest police station, pay a tenner and have a Police check run on you.

    That said, your forms should make it clear what the requirements are for declaring convictions - if they involve the DVA tell the truth!
  4. Spanish_Dave

    Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

  5. You can't do the tenner thing anymore, they just tell you to get a CRB check.

    Sid, it's best to assume they will still be on the record if you're doing a vetting form or the like, they always find out...
  6. Or change your surname. It worked for me :D
  7. There is a number although I don't know whether its national or local. I'll check tonight. PM me in the morning to remind me.
  8. Thanks for all the help guys, i have no convictions in the last 12 years but i want to be 100% certain nothing is lurking on the record.
  9. Depends what you are applying for you even have to declare speeding/parking fines.
  10. I had a cond discharge in 1970 and again in 1989

    2 years ago I applied for an FAC, declared them both as spent and the FLO turned up with photo copied records af both files- and they were both from a different force.

    Best assume that "once recorded never gone" when completing officially checkable forms
  11. Thats correct.... your Criminal record physically exists for life and beyond.

    What is is important is "unspent convictions" IE the ones you have to tell people about. which will be explained on any vetting form you fill in.

    For some professions you have to tell them everything (IE the police) for others they are only interested in the last few years. However once recorded its there and anyone doing a PNC check will be able to find either your criminal history or a refernence to the Microfiche your history is on if its that ancient.

    (Fixed penalty notices are not on PNC but I am sure they will be somewhere... including mine)

    If you think about this it makes sense. Otherwise someone could pick up a conviction or two for shoplifting and sexual assualt say and then join the police three years and a day later with no one any the wiser.

  12. Really? I understood that you can't request a CRB check on yourself - it has to be done through an approved third party ie potential employer etc.

    As a slight aside, when I was filling out vetting forms, I was unsure as whether or not I had actually been arrested after a slight incedent so I went down to the cop shop and asked the nice PC on the desk to do a PNC check on me. She got on her radio and 10 seconds later I got the answer. Simples.
  13. You cannot get a CRB check through yourself. CRB checks can only be given to employers from an industry/business. You can apply for a police record check under the Freedom of Data and Information act. This is not a CRB check. It cost 35 pound. It is the same check that you must do to gain a Visa to America.

    If all your convictions are spent, there is no need to worry, you don't have to declare anything. It is also illegal for any employer to reject you because of previous convictions. In the armys case I know myself that you "can" get accepted entry with an unspent conviction, I am living proof of this.

    This country gives people who have been convicted of a crime a Rehabilitation period. Once that Rehabilitation is completed it no longer has to be declared to an employer. There is no 7 year period as previously stated. The most common rehabilitation time is 5 years. This is because of orders such as community service, probation & fines
    etc. They all require a 5 year rehabilitation period. Under 18 months in Jail requires 7 years. Over 2 & 1/2 years in jail is 10 years and never comes of your record.

    I commited an Affray when I was 15 years old. Under English Law the police must remove this completley from the database by the time I'm 25, 10 years from the date of conviction. If you commit any serious crime when you are over the age of 18 it stays on the database for 20 years.
  14. Thanks for all the info guys, all helped a lot.
  15. Cocobana - Barry Manilow - now that is what I call a criminal record!!!!!