Criminal Record - Joining

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by gazeranco, Aug 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey Everyone,

I am currently banned for drink driving, I get my licence back in 6 months.

I didnt try and drive away or crash or resist arrest or anything like that and I have never been in trouble before....

So I am wondering as I know I have to disclose any criminal convictions, will this stop me getting in the TA?

Hope you can help,

Gazeranco

2. Best way to get an accurate answer is to contact your local unit and ask direct but in general it will depend on what you want to do when you join. For example you will obviously be unable to go down the driver career path.

3. Hey,
    Sorry should of mentioned.

My local TA (runcorn) is Signals. That suites me as I am into technology etc, so do you think my driving conviction will stop me getting into the signals?

4. possibly. As part of your ongoing training, obtaining your landrover/trailer/minibus/combi-van conversion will be required. also I'm not sure how it would work insurance wise. I'm sure your local TAC will be able to assist your enqury.

5. I dont reckon it'll be a problem at all.But yeah,ask them.

6. The only CEG, (Career employment group) that will accept anyone banned from driving is within Combat and then its the Infantry. No other Unit would be allowed to enlist you. Get in touch with the TAC (TA centre) and ask them to go over the Rehabilitation of offenders act and Recruiting Instructions with you as in this case these policies are the bible...so no Signals for you I'm afraid.

7. If you want to join the Royal Signals you will need security clearance, so you will need to declare your ban. If you do not declare it when they do your background check it WILL be picked up. contact the PSAO at your local unit to find if it would still be possible to join.

Which regiment / Sqn do you want ot join?

Stilts

8. msr

msr LE

Read his post: http://www2.army.mod.uk/royalsignals/80sigsqn/index.htm

msr

9. Sorry but where did that come from ? I have been recruiting for almost 2 years now and have never heard of that. What I do now is unspent CCJs and criminal internment could be grounds for refusal.

Anyway when this lad has

a. Popped in for a visit
    b. Completed Paperwork
    c. Had Medical
    d. Attended Recruit Selection
    e. Completed W/E 1-6
    f. Completed CMSR

I doubt his ban would still be in place as it runs out in 6 months, which would be roughly how long that lot takes

10. I´m with wellyhead on this one, as soon as his licence is back in his mits, he can drive. A slot in the signals could be open, bar other hurdles to joining.

11. Just to update everyone....

The guy at my local TAC said my drink driving ban will NOT affect me getting in! Woohoo!

He also mentioned that by the time my training is done approx 6+months I will have it back anyway (which someone else mentioned earlier in the post)

:)

12. Gents, Section 3 of Recruiting Instructions refers to all persons who are ineligible to join, now with the intro of One Army Recruiting the TA and Regulars both do business the same way. I understand that the time taken to do TAFS, Ph 1B + Ph 1C training along with the recruitment process then the chances are the 6 months will be up...if not then you cannot be enlisted into a non-infantry CEG until it is.
    Look at Recruit Instructions Section 3: para 11.135 b (1).

I seem a nerd I know but only tring to help. :(

13. Just to re-update everyone in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation...

I did declare my ban on my application and I successfully joined the signals and passed all weekends CMSR etc and then they got disbanded!! :(

I have since transferred to the Royal Artillery (V) and I am enjoying it!

Hopefully that helps someone!

14. Let's hope you're not a fcuking Jonah and the RA get the chop next then.