Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Criminal convictions- difficulty finding work

Ignore the blanket stacking wankspangle. He is the sort of person who is capable of starting an argument with himself in the corner of a round room.

There's some good advice been given by good people on this thread.
Oh look a delivery driver speaks.

I have the stacker fellow on ignore
he will wade into all sorts of conversations giving it large, and his brain is bigger and more powerful than Bertram Russell and Einstens combined ,his brain is going to be donated to medical science , I only wish that it would, removendo partes corporis mortem
he is the sort of fellow one meets in offices and building sites all over the place, wades into every conversation and knows it all
and has to have the last word, and tries to sway the usually male audience over to his way of thinking, the same little gang that always laugh at his jokes and not so pithy comments
hopefully when the pubs open again, he can have his usual place at the bar alongside his peer group
Clearly you are not bothered one little bit.

If you have some reasonable IT skills and other attributes, try the Security Service............ There is an online assessment (not difficult if you have the grey stuff, but you would need to keep everything, even doing the test, confidential in my opinion)

NuggetBks

Clanker
Oh look a delivery driver speaks.

Stacker, enough. You are clearly just trolling now and it’s embarrassing.

I really don’t understand your upset here- would you rather I just give up on life and claim benefits? Surely you can agree it is the healthier option that I dust myself off and seek work. I’ve had some hurdles but this won’t stop me and thanks to this thread sparking some ideas I will continue to move forward.

This isn’t the NAAFI.

Stacker, enough. You are clearly just trolling now and it’s embarrassing.

I really don’t understand your upset here- would you rather I just give up on life and claim benefits? Surely you can agree it is the healthier option that I dust myself off and seek work. I’ve had some hurdles but this won’t stop me and thanks to this thread sparking some ideas I will continue to move forward.

This isn’t the NAAFI.

I'd expect you to get a shit job somewhere until there is a bit of distance between you acting like a chimp and going for a half decent job.
Its not really that difficult.

NuggetBks

Clanker
If you are genuinely not trolling this thread Stacker then can you explain what you meant by “job successful interviews” and also explain why you are talking about theft?

This thread has been an open an honest discussion and is filled with good advice. No body is trying to hide any offences nor did I use my health as a defence.

The_Duke

LE
stacker1 will not be posting on this thread anymore to prevent it from continuing to circle the drain. I doubt you are the only ex-soldier trying to find a job while holding a criminal conviction.

On your own situation, focus on jobs that allow you access to nothing even slightly sensitive. I would not hire you for anything requiring access to data, because you have history of breaching that trust. That would knock out the financial sector, including call centres etc.

bentobox

Old-Salt
@NuggetBks
About 20 years ago, I got in a spot of bother featuring some youthful exuberance with some nightclub doorstaff.

I had to declare my conviction (threatening behaviour), and still got a job in the financial services. Realise that your conviction may disbar you short-term from some work, but be upfront about it.

Any employer should view it on its merits; you buggered up once, it was a mistake, end of.
Admin Vortex makes a good point here, be upfront with the conviction. Some employers may not look favorably on someone who has a lot of time invested by the prospective employer, interviews, etc to then discover at the last moment just prior to a job offer that at the last stage of checks your conviction comes up, to some it might look like an attempt to hide this.

It would show some real honesty to be as upfront as possible, as soon as possible. I full accept that this may lead to some loss of opportunities. I have not been in a situation like yours, others may have and may disagree with this approach, but I am trying, along with others here, to offer constructive assistance.

Good luck with your search, there has been a great deal of good advice offered.

Last edited:

NuggetBks

Clanker
Many thanks and I genuinely appreciate that.

I’ve made contact with an employer (that was recommended on this thread) and although they are not recruiting currently they have confirmed their policy towards the rehabilitation of offenders. Again, for anyone else reading this thread in the future some learned experience- Some employers do not carry out a DBS check until you are further down the recruitment pipeline. It is important to keep in mind that the final decisions about recruitment following a DBS check is rarely in the hands of the interviewers, but instead a more senior member of the HR team. I’ve had two conditional offers of employment pulled due to DBS. Moving forward I’ll adjust the industries I’m interested in and perhaps it may also be a good idea to indicate to the interviewers beforehand that there are personal circumstances you wish to address in the interview.

Thanks again for all the advice and assistance

Heartbreaklane

War Hero
This is a great thread (which would be improved if the crayoning was removed), and will be helpful to others.

I got into a big scrap at 16 with some mates and a bunch of kids from the next village, gave as good as I got and ended up being charged with ABH. Never should have been but had poor legal representation at the time, there were no weapons used just fists, and no serious injuries, just everyone with bruises and black eyes, cuts etc.. Just a good old scrap, have seen worse since in the mob and elsewhaere. One of the mitigations in court was a start date with the mob, so got a 30 quid fine and 12 month supended sentence. Never made any difference to me joining up, but has haunted me leter in life when my check comes back as 'no live trace'. As others have said I found that is was best to be honest up front. Crime and punishment hey, I think about it a lot 40 years on.

Anyway, great thread, cheers.

Mattb

LE
Many thanks and I genuinely appreciate that.

I’ve made contact with an employer (that was recommended on this thread) and although they are not recruiting currently they have confirmed their policy towards the rehabilitation of offenders. Again, for anyone else reading this thread in the future some learned experience- Some employers do not carry out a DBS check until you are further down the recruitment pipeline. It is important to keep in mind that the final decisions about recruitment following a DBS check is rarely in the hands of the interviewers, but instead a more senior member of the HR team. I’ve had two conditional offers of employment pulled due to DBS. Moving forward I’ll adjust the industries I’m interested in and perhaps it may also be a good idea to indicate to the interviewers beforehand that there are personal circumstances you wish to address in the interview.

Thanks again for all the advice and assistance
Remember that you can disclose your convictions before the DBS! The DBS should ideally just be a proof of what you’ve already told them.

Just to add my tuppence worth in here. I have a criminal record for Domestic assault with injury. Short version, I was in an mentally and physically abusive relationship, she'd get drunk and get punchy, came to a head one night when I slapped her to try to get her to stop punching me.
Police were called, I admitted slapping her, got arrested, charged and eventually was admonished in court (she got away with it even though I had 2 black eyes and scratches all over my face, must have done it to myself). In Scotland admonishment still carries a criminal record, and because it was forgotten in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, it stays on your record for 5 years. If I got jail or community service, it would have been off my record by now, go figure.
Anyway! Getting to my point, I had to apply for Security Clearance for a Civil Service job, and I passed. Obviously admonishment may be lower on the scale than your offences, but I think being honest and forthright is more important to them. Good luck.

Ah DBS checks, the sensible idea now spun out into a new level of arse covering employment insanity.

intended to cover people working with children and the vulnerable, now everyone seem to require one, even for something like a automated warehouse floor sweep.

I’m on the lifetime DBS naughty list after a punch up outside a pub on a run ashore in 1982, but I’m an FAC holder - go figure.

the new Puritanism will mean you will get pilloried for 7 years, but after that, if You don’t go after any jobs required an enhanced DBS, it’s history.
stick with it, there are still employers out there not addicted to the DBS cult

Ah yes, that slightly arduous French language course.
Huh, slightly arduous...'Lissen vary caerphilly I shall sayzis unly wonce'

5 Pull ups on a bar, zat iz ow you say a piess of piess, nesepas...

Screenshot_20210217-223755_Chrome.jpg

Latest Threads