Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Criminal convictions- difficulty finding work

I should have known I was dealing with an intellectual heavyweight after he posted this grammatical head fry :

Well done on your excellent English skills, if only you had had put as much effort into getting help for your mental problems, you wouldn't have a criminal record and would still have a job.

The bloke didn't even mention serving in his initial post, let alone being a 'hero veteran'. He just asked for a bit of advice and came across as having a decent attitude all round.

You, on the other hand, appear to be a bellend of monumental proportions.
But he did mention his service in other posts.

What a stupid question. How many job interviews have you attended where you have been asked to detail your health issues and treatment plans?
At no stage did the thread of questions switch from - “Tell me a time when you’ve worked as part of a team” to “Explain in detail please your clinical diagnosis of the following conditions and how these were presented by in court”. That doesn’t happen.

The quote you’ve quoted was a post I made in October 2019. I was still working for my previous employer at that time. I was convicted in January 2020 after I pled guilty and was suspended pending an internal gross misconduct hearing and I subsequently resigned. As I’ve explained above, which either has gone over your head or you just don’t understand, I was seen by an independent Consultant Psychiatrist as part of the pre sentencing report. Based of his findings I was diagnosed with further conditions and I’ve been sign posted into the correct and necessary treatment plans. I’ve since fully engaged with treatment and am doing well.
Should I need to declare health information on an HR form for example I will but this does not mean they ask me about my confidential medical history during a job interview.
Yet again to reiterate for you at no stage did I fake (that’s what you are clearly implying) my ill health. Nor did it form any part of my legal defence. No “defence” was mounted as I admitted the offences at the earliest opportunity and pled guilty at court at the first opportunity. At no stage have I played “hero veteran” and expected my service or health condition to rid me of culpability. I broke the law, admitted to it, served my sentence (community service) and have left my previous job.

I have been successful at interview for a number of applied positions. Meaning I’ve passed the application phase, been invited for interviews, been informed I’ve passed the interview and then a DBS check is required and has shown my unspent convictions and it’s been the end of the road. Again at no stage is my medical history factored into this. This thread genuinely does have some great advice and comments and it has definitely helped me. Stacker is either stupid, attention seeking or on a deliberate wind. I’ll stop feeding the troll.

Thanks again for all those who have provided decent advice.
So to clarify, your potential employers don't know you were said due to an incident at your previous work (partially cause by your health problems) that led to a criminal conviction and you resigned before you got the sack?
Generally workplace criminal conviction/sackings are linked to theft or violence.
It sounds to me that you are worried about a background check because that might be highlighted.

NuggetBks

Clanker
So to clarify, your potential employers don't know you were said due to an incident at your previous work (partially cause by your health problems) that led to a criminal conviction and you resigned before you got the sack?
Generally workplace criminal conviction/sackings are linked to theft or violence.
It sounds to me that you are worried about a background check because that might be highlighted.

My god you really are stupid aren’t you?

What are you rambling on about?

@NuggetBks
About 20 years ago, I got in a spot of bother featuring some youthful exuberance with some nightclub doorstaff.

I had to declare my conviction (threatening behaviour), and still got a job in the financial services. Realise that your conviction may disbar you short-term from some work, but be upfront about it.

Any employer should view it on its merits; you buggered up once, it was a mistake, end of.

NuggetBks

Clanker

I’m not intentionally trying to be rude but can you please attempt to make some sense and I’ll answer.

I’ll try and unravel your confusion here. You initially asked if “my job successful interviews” (I presume you mean - the employers that I successfully passed the interview for) knew about by medical history?
To answer this again- I was not asked any questions during the application process or interview regarding clinical diagnosis, treatment plans or the role this played during a pre sentencing report compiled for the court. Instead they asked typical interview questions.

Am I attempting to “hide” anything- no, I am not. How could I? If asked on an application if I have any convictions that are considered to be “unspent” under the rehabilitation of offenders act I of course say yes.

Some employers, in my recent experience, do not ask for details pre interview. Should the application be successful and prior to starting employment you will be asked to confirm if you have any criminal convictions that are not 'spent' and to provide details. Again I duly oblige and provide full details.

As said above it is clear that having a criminal record will not necessarily prevent you from working within certain sectors. In reaching a decision many employers state they will take into account the nature of your potential work, the circumstances and background of the offence(s) and the time elapsed.
By applying, you are acknowledging that you understand this and agree to us seeking this information from you should your application be successful. I hope this makes sense to you.

If the application form includes an equal employment opportunities section it may ask if I consider myself to be disabled or suffering from any long term health issues. This rarely forms part of the process and is largely for equality monitoring purposes. At no stage do I attempt to “hide” anything. I can’t work out if you are genuinely this stupid or you are just trying to troll this thread. Either way the majority of posters on this forum seem to have you well suss’d and I’ll take their advice and ignore you.

Moving forward thank you @AdminVortex , I appreciate that.

Also thanks to everyone else who has offered honest constructive advice.

My god you really are stupid aren’t you?

What are you rambling on about?

Thats you come across as a bit of belter who was offered mental health help but said he didnt want it, then got a criminal conviction and lost his job. You have a baby, not exactly doing much for him are you?

NuggetBks

Clanker
Thats you come across as a bit of belter who was offered mental health help but said he didnt want it, then got a criminal conviction and lost his job. You have a baby, not exactly doing much for him are you?

Are you a teenage girl?

I’m engaging well with treatment and I find it is having a positive impact on my health following a very turbulent year. I’ll continue to look for work.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
As above- Ignore Stacker. He is an idiot

Without doubt, you now face additional challenges with job hunting when disclosing a conviction so often means rejection. This for many industries may only be a short term issue and it’s important you continue this attitude of moving forward.

Best of luck.

RTU'd

War Hero
This report concluded that my mental health at the time of offending was a significant factor. This did not form part of a defence as I pled guilty.
Well, this will be part of any refusal to join for a period of time.
However it will depend on the report & your mental state at the time.
To be honest get voluntary work under your belt for 2 years, a good reference & apply again in 3 years,

NuggetBks

Clanker
Well, this will be part of any refusal to join for a period of time.
However it will depend on the report & your mental state at the time.
To be honest get voluntary work under your belt for 2 years, a good reference & apply again in 3 years,

The DBS certificate merely lists the convictions, dates and disposals. Any pre sentencing reports are not included.

Many thanks though, I definitely will look at volunteering.

Polite request stacker, don’t discuss my child on this thread again.
Ignore the blanket stacking wankspangle. He is the sort of person who is capable of starting an argument with himself in the corner of a round room.

There's some good advice been given by good people on this thread.

lextalionis

Old-Salt
I don't think it's been mentioned, but if you want to be sure whether your convictions are spent or not, you are entitled to apply for a Basic DBS Check, which discloses unspent convictions and cautions:

It costs £23 and it is issued within fourteen days. Alternatively, you can find information on the rehabilitation periods for convictions here:

This is dependent on sentence.

An enhanced DBS check would feature all convictions that are not "filtered" (i.e. set aside after a period of time, whether spent or not) but those are only required for work with children and/or the vulnerable.

Latest Threads