Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Criminal convictions- difficulty finding work

yep. sounds a lot like when I was driving forklifts and doing the warehouses in the mid nineties. except the spelling test was more the people in the employment agency checking you had a pulse and then sending you out on a job. ;)

What's scary is the last two recruitment drives I was aware of in the security industry, they generally had 18-20 applicants. None passed. Which, considering the level of the staff we had, makes one really worry about what was applying.

Giving or receiving, err, asking for a horse.
Giveth I believe, I honestly didn't look into it. Your 'Horse' friend my wish to google 'Mr Hands', but only on a computer that is not at work.

Same with our Countryside team at the council where I work. One of them works in the Rights of Way team the other in the Parks & Sportsfields team. Both love it. Depends what your aspirations are. These guys are out and about all day long, one as a PROW Ranger the other basically drives lawnmowers and tractors throughout the year. Pay is bonk in local authorities but shock horror...

Pay in my council is pretty good for the role, but then you see the Pension, and your eyes light up.

When I joined the police we had a recruit who had been cautioned for growing cannabis. Best of luck for the future.

Ha, when I was at Sutton Coldfield for the testing session the night we spent there got very active at around 02.00hrs waking everyone up. The fire picket had found a potential recruit smoking a spliff in the bathrooms.

What's scary is the last two recruitment drives I was aware of in the security industry, they generally had 18-20 applicants. None passed. Which, considering the level of the staff we had, makes one really worry about what was applying.

Giveth I believe, I honestly didn't look into it. Your 'Horse' friend my wish to google 'Mr Hands', but only on a computer that is not at work.

Pay in my council is pretty good for the role, but then you see the Pension, and your eyes light up.
Aye I did 35 years with the local authority roads Dept

It most certainly was contributing factor and although an independent psychiatrist confirmed this we used this as mitigation and not a defence. I plead guilty to all charges and gave a full admission.
Like I said before, my health isn’t an issue that I am concerned about with regards to work as the majority of employers (the ones I am interested in) do not discriminate against anyone with a long term health condition. I get the impression you are deliberately trying to be an arse but if you have something constructive to add and really need me to talk about my health then I’d rather not discuss it on this thread.

To everyone else, thanks for all the reasoned and sensible advice. I definitely feel better armed to go and research different avenues and look at different charities. Cheers everyone

They might not legally be able to discriminate against people for their health (within reason) but they certainly can say no to people who blame their health for breaking the law.

I tend not to sugar coat stuff.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
have you considered a career in politics?

NuggetBks

Clanker
They might not legally be able to discriminate against people for their health (within reason) but they certainly can say no to people who blame their health for breaking the law.

I tend not to sugar coat stuff.

I entered a guilty plea at the earliest opportunity. Also I’ve had a number of successful interviews despite my health condition being disclosed- you are talking out of your hole. My issue has been DBS checks.

I entered a guilty plea at the earliest opportunity. Also I’ve had a number of successful interviews despite my health condition being disclosed- you are talking out of your hole. My issue has been DBS checks.

Did you tell them your health condition partially led to your criminal conviction?

NuggetBks

Clanker
I’ll break this down for you.

I provided a full admission during interview and cooperated with investigators from the earliest of opportunities. I did not use or attempt to use my health as a defence nor did I opt for a “no comment” interview.

It was my intention and wish to enter a guilty plea at the earliest opportunity which I did at my first hearing. This was supported by both my counsel and the CPS. As part of the pre sentencing report (ordered by the judge) a psychiatric report was required. This was carried out by an independent Consultant Psychiatrist who is on the UK Register of Expert Witnesses and was approved by the prosecution and court. This report concluded that my mental health at the time of offending was a significant factor. This did not form part of a defence as I pled guilty.

endure

GCM

I tend to talk bollocks in order to stir the shit...
Ferk orf you argumentative winker...

Ferk orf you argumentative winker...

Oh I'm sorry I should just accept a hero veteran who said

Long story short I was diagnosed with Depression (PTSD queried but I won’t engage with any PTSD treatment plans) That’s not up for discussion.

And

I got myself into a spot of bother in work

A spot of bother was in fact 7 offences.

Would you want him working with you?

endure

GCM

Long story short I was diagnosed with Depression (PTSD queried but I won’t engage with any PTSD treatment plans) That’s not up for discussion.

And

I've no idea without talking to him but the one thing I know from posting on arrse is that you could start an argument in an empty room so regardless of whether you are right or wrong you're just a waste of breath. Now ferk orf...

I've no idea without talking to him but the one thing I know from posting on arrse is that you could start an argument in an empty room so regardless of whether you are right or wrong you're just a waste of breath. Now ferk orf...

And yet it was you who quoted me first.

And

I probably wouldn't have an issue employing him.

I've employed people with far worse histories than that. I often regret it but more often than not you turn them in to valuable employees.

Oh I'm sorry I should just accept a hero veteran who said....

The bloke didn't even mention serving in his initial post, let alone being a 'hero veteran'. He just asked for a bit of advice and came across as having a decent attitude all round.

You, on the other hand, appear to be a bellend of monumental proportions.

NuggetBks

Clanker
The people on your job successful interviews.

What a stupid question. How many job interviews have you attended where you have been asked to detail your health issues and treatment plans?
At no stage did the thread of questions switch from - “Tell me a time when you’ve worked as part of a team” to “Explain in detail please your clinical diagnosis of the following conditions and how these were presented by in court”. That doesn’t happen.

The quote you’ve quoted was a post I made in October 2019. I was still working for my previous employer at that time. I was convicted in January 2020 after I pled guilty and was suspended pending an internal gross misconduct hearing and I subsequently resigned. As I’ve explained above, which either has gone over your head or you just don’t understand, I was seen by an independent Consultant Psychiatrist as part of the pre sentencing report. Based of his findings I was diagnosed with further conditions and I’ve been sign posted into the correct and necessary treatment plans. I’ve since fully engaged with treatment and am doing well.
Should I need to declare health information on an HR form for example I will but this does not mean they ask me about my confidential medical history during a job interview.
Yet again to reiterate for you at no stage did I fake (that’s what you are clearly implying) my ill health. Nor did it form any part of my legal defence. No “defence” was mounted as I admitted the offences at the earliest opportunity and pled guilty at court at the first opportunity. At no stage have I played “hero veteran” and expected my service or health condition to rid me of culpability. I broke the law, admitted to it, served my sentence (community service) and have left my previous job.

I have been successful at interview for a number of applied positions. Meaning I’ve passed the application phase, been invited for interviews, been informed I’ve passed the interview and then a DBS check is required and has shown my unspent convictions and it’s been the end of the road. Again at no stage is my medical history factored into this. This thread genuinely does have some great advice and comments and it has definitely helped me. Stacker is either stupid, attention seeking or on a deliberate wind. I’ll stop feeding the troll.

Thanks again for all those who have provided decent advice.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
What a stupid question. How many job interviews have you attended where you have been asked to detail your health issues and treatment plans?
At no stage did the thread of questions switch from - “Tell me a time when you’ve worked as part of a team” to “Explain in detail please your clinical diagnosis of the following conditions and how these were presented by in court”. That doesn’t happen.

The quote you’ve quoted was a post I made in October 2019. I was still working for my previous employer at that time. I was convicted in January 2020 after I pled guilty and was suspended pending an internal gross misconduct hearing and I subsequently resigned. As I’ve explained above, which either has gone over your head or you just don’t understand, I was seen by an independent Consultant Psychiatrist as part of the pre sentencing report. Based of his findings I was diagnosed with further conditions and I’ve been sign posted into the correct and necessary treatment plans. I’ve since fully engaged with treatment and am doing well.
Should I need to declare health information on an HR form for example I will but this does not mean they ask me about my confidential medical history during a job interview.
Yet again to reiterate for you at no stage did I fake (that’s what you are clearly implying) my ill health. Nor did it form any part of my legal defence. No “defence” was mounted as I admitted the offences at the earliest opportunity and pled guilty at court at the first opportunity. At no stage have I played “hero veteran” and expected my service or health condition to rid me of culpability. I broke the law, admitted to it, served my sentence (community service) and have left my previous job.

I have been successful at interview for a number of applied positions. Meaning I’ve passed the application phase, been invited for interviews, been informed I’ve passed the interview and then a DBS check is required and has shown my unspent convictions and it’s been the end of the road. Again at no stage is my medical history factored into this. This thread genuinely does have some great advice and comments and it has definitely helped me. Stacker is either stupid, attention seeking or on a deliberate wind. I’ll stop feeding the troll.

Thanks again for all those who have provided decent advice.

I have the stacker fellow on ignore
he will wade into all sorts of conversations giving it large, and his brain is bigger and more powerful than Bertram Russell and Einstens combined ,his brain is going to be donated to medical science , I only wish that it would, removendo partes corporis mortem
he is the sort of fellow one meets in offices and building sites all over the place, wades into every conversation and knows it all
and has to have the last word, and tries to sway the usually male audience over to his way of thinking, the same little gang that always laugh at his jokes and not so pithy comments
hopefully when the pubs open again, he can have his usual place at the bar alongside his peer group
ignore him and take the advice of those that see the more positive side
I spent over 40 years in the construction trade, and have worked alongside all sorts of people, including a convicted bomber
( albeit not a very good one)
a fella that did time due to his gambling and drinking problems, and turned his life and many others around ( I never even knew about his past until much later)
and a fair few other choice nutters and fruitcakes
Do something different, and be positive, little steps and keep moving forward
you will soon find the people that you were involved with fade into obscurity

It most certainly was contributing factor and although an independent psychiatrist confirmed this we used this as mitigation and not a defence. I plead guilty to all charges and gave a full admission.
Like I said before, my health isn’t an issue that I am concerned about with regards to work as the majority of employers (the ones I am interested in) do not discriminate against anyone with a long term health condition. I get the impression you are deliberately trying to be an arse but if you have something constructive to add and really need me to talk about my health then I’d rather not discuss it on this thread.

To everyone else, thanks for all the reasoned and sensible advice. I definitely feel better armed to go and research different avenues and look at different charities. Cheers everyone
Put the remf mattress technician (rtd) on ignore he's an empty vessel.

NuggetBks

Clanker
I should have known I was dealing with an intellectual heavyweight after he posted this grammatical head fry :

The people on your job successful interviews.

Getting back on track and for anyone else who reads this in the future who may be in a similar position I’ve found Unlock.org to be very useful.
Also the different avenues such as site labourer, local agency work, SIA, Timpson’s etc are all fantastic suggestions. I sincerely appreciate all the information. Thanks all