Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Criminal convictions- difficulty finding work

NuggetBks

Clanker
Full disclosure- I have been convicted of a criminal offence (7 offences which all formed part of one trail). I was sentenced January 2019 and received a community order of 150 hours unpaid work and court costs. I’ve since completed all my hours and paid the fine.

It’s embarrassing, shameful and cost me my career in the NHS. Now I spent hours everyday scrolling through Indeed.com looking for work. Yet everything from Asda to Virgin media require you to undergo a DBS check. I made a mistake but I’ve paid the price and take my rehabilitation seriously.

Does anyone have any experience of job hunting with unspent convictions (I think my convictions are spent one year after the end of my order?) and is it possible at all to find work. Any suggestions of employers that are willing to accept an application without the DBS check etc. Feeling really desperate now and just need a job.

I can sympathise with you but look at from an employers pov.
It depends did you rifle petty cash or kill a few people? That makes a difference. Time heals. Good luck.

NuggetBks

Clanker
I can sympathise with you but look at from an employers pov.
It depends did you rifle petty cash or kill a few people? That makes a difference. Time heals. Good luck.

Thanks mate and I totally understand the risk adverse position employers will take. It’s very competitive out here at the moment and someone with unspent convictions are not very attractive.

I guess I’m just flapping now as literally any job I apply for seems to require a DBS check which then filters me out. Despite passing interviews. I guess I’m looking for a steer on any potential employers who are happy to give someone like me (full of remorse and wanting to prove myself again) a second chance. Any one with experience of job hunting with a conviction etc.

My offence relates to GDPR

Definitely worth checking whether your convictions are spent or not. Most employers will still only require a basic check, which doesn’t include spent convictions.

Thanks mate and I totally understand the risk adverse position employers will take. It’s very competitive out here at the moment and someone with unspent convictions are not very attractive.

I guess I’m just flapping now as literally any job I apply for seems to require a DBS check which then filters me out. Despite passing interviews. I guess I’m looking for a steer on any potential employers who are happy to give someone like me (full of remorse and wanting to prove myself again) a second chance. Any one with experience of job hunting with a conviction etc.

Looking at information you weren't meant to on the NHS system, at a guess.

I would continue to apply for jobs - but be open during the interview process. Just because you have committed an offence, it doesn't mean that you will be automatically disqualified - I work in financial services and have seen people hired with worse convictions / sentences to their name.

I know that Timpsons (the key-cutter / shoe repairer) hires ex-offenders (The Timpson Foundation - Timpson Group) as do Johnsons, the dry cleaner.

There is also the St Giles Trust (HOME) and this link on the Princes Trust may be of assistance: Support for ex-offenders | Who else can help | The Prince's Trust

Good luck.

EDIT: As @urban_spaceman says - check whether the Community Order is spent first, as you may not have to disclose it, and it might not show up on the DBS check.

Timpsons have a policy of helping ex offenders.

Edit. Beaten to it yet again.

I think it may be a case of finding an industry in which convictions are regarded as less important rather than an individual emp!oyer in an industry that does.

As a rule of thumb, the more fresh air involved in the job the less people are going to worry about a fairly minor glitch in your past.

NuggetBks

Clanker
Looking at information you weren't meant to on the NHS system, at a guess.

I would continue to apply for jobs - but be open during the interview process. Just because you have committed an offence, it doesn't mean that you will be automatically disqualified - I work in financial services and have seen people hired with worse convictions / sentences to their name.

I know that Timpsons (the key-cutter / shoe repairer) hires ex-offenders (The Timpson Foundation - Timpson Group) as do Johnsons, the dry cleaner.

There is also the St Giles Trust (HOME) and this link on the Princes Trust may be of assistance: Support for ex-offenders | Who else can help | The Prince's Trust

Good luck.

EDIT: As @urban_spaceman says - check whether the Community Order is spent first, as you may not have to disclose it, and it might not show up on the DBS check.

Thanks for the reply. Yep- you are right on the money. Unauthorised access to personal data. No getting away from it and I regret it.

From using the online conviction table unless I am reading it wrong my conviction is considered spent after 12 months from the end of the order? I was sentenced to a community order that involved community service. Which I’ve completed.

Thanks @urban_spaceman for the link. I’ve had a quick look through it and will definitely sit down and really read it. Seems to be full of practical, accurate, and reliable information & advice regarding the issues I’m facing.

Timp..........

Never mind.

From using the online conviction table unless I am reading it wrong my conviction is considered spent after 12 months from the end of the order? I was sentenced to a community order that involved community service. Which I’ve completed.
That is my reading of it - 1 year from your last day of the order / community service.

Citizen's Advice Bureau may be able to confirm.

There are options out there; I had the pleasure to meet this lady (Sabrina Boanu-Williams MBE | Impact | Barclays) who runs the Barclays LifeSkills programme which may be an avenue to look at if you have time.

RTU'd

War Hero
Voluntary work might be for you then.
Most Town Halls will either have a list or even a voluntary section office.
Be honest and you will be welcomed as others in your situation have.

The Prince of Wales Trust is good as are some of the Ex Offender Charities.
The woodland trust & national trust always looking for people to do digging & planting trees.
However under GDPR offences you are highly unlikely to get anything which evolves using a computer.

What part of the country are you?

Try your local authority we had a couple of lads who had convictions employed

NuggetBks

Clanker
That is my reading of it - 1 year from your last day of the order / community service.

Citizen's Advice Bureau may be able to confirm.

There are options out there; I had the pleasure to meet this lady (Sabrina Boanu-Williams MBE | Impact | Barclays) who runs the Barclays LifeSkills programme which may be an avenue to look at if you have time.

Fantastic and thanks once again. This thread as definitely thrown up some sound advice and avenues for me to look down.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
try a look here

Virgin trains are keen on helping ex offenders apparently

Greggs Fresh Start programme

Latest Threads