crime rate to rise in the UK... but will this affect it?

'Crime levels to rise' Warning Over Rising Crime
Updated: 13:11, Sunday December 24, 2006

Crime levels are set to rise for the first time in more than a decade, according to a leaked Downing Street report.
It also predicts the prison population will jump by 25% in the next five years.
A slowdown in the economy is threatening to reverse recent falls in crime levels, The Sunday Times has reported.
And the number of people in prison will outstrip the planned rate of growth in available places - yet the Chancellor is refusing to fund extra prisons.
The report said that increasing prison places was "an expensive way to meet crime and punishment objectives" and suggested the ministers should look at alternative ways of curbing crime.
These include "chemical castration" of sex offenders and a ration on the amount of alcohol people are allowed to buy.
It also suggests following the Swiss example of prescribing heroin rather than methadone to addicts, which proved a success for the European country.
Shadow home secretary David Davis said the report confirmed that there was a "massive shortage" in prison places.
"That will mean more short prison sentences, more early releases and more dangerous criminals on our streets - and as a result more crime caused by the Government's inaction," he told the paper.
A No 10 spokesman said: "This document does not represent Government policy. It sets out lots of ideas for discussion and consultation, including looking at measures used in other countries.
"The policy review process is still at an early stage and people should wait for the end of that process."
if people know that there wont be enough spaces in prisons, wouldn't this make them more likely to commit a criminal offence?

I know it’s the job of the news channels to report on subjects like this, but isn’t it a bit irresponsible for sky to publish this report as it could be a threat to our countries security?

They say there is going to he a rise in crime, but now that they know there wont be enough space in prison wouldn’t the rate of crime rise faster and higher because of this leaked report?

Fookin sh1te..rise in crime my arrse. of course the reported levels are going up cause the w@nker courts arent sentencing the crims properly.Dont be fooled this is just another way of trying to kidd the public that crims should nt be jailed.........sh1te , thats why every single one of them is sh1t scared of being sent down to do a term of detention... lets follow the yanks on this one and send the fcukers down BIG time for the crimes they commit and then they wont be free to cause us misery.......

I've just started another very depressing but excellent book called 'Wasting Police Time', written by a serving copper and describing exactly what's wrong with the criminal justice system in the UK.

A total of 3000 new criminal offences have been created since 1997. If crime levels are to rise over the next decade it will be in consequence of the Government's prediliction for punitive legislative reform in almost every single aspect of human behavour.

B

Biscuits_AB

AndyPipkin said:
I've just started another very depressing but excellent book called 'Wasting Police Time', written by a serving copper and describing exactly what's wrong with the criminal justice system in the UK.
Does he mention lazy Policemen at any point in this book?

Very odd man that Mr Brown. If there is a predicted rise in the need for prison spaces, then the obvious solution would be to create more spaces. Oh Wait, he cites cost as a hindrance.

Why not institute hot bedding then? 12 hour on, 12 hour off. Everyone wins.

And I see no reason why it takes 33000+/yr to house a prisoner. Absolute BS.

IIRC, there are 3 main reasons for punishing criminals: Public protection, Deterrence (Individual and general) and rehabilitation.

Clearly, Public protection should be the number one priority, perhaps followed in equal parts by deterrence and rehabilitation.

IMO, a policy which will result in criminals not being put in jail will not seat well with the aim of public protection; They are imo mutually exclusive concepts. In summary, the solution is to build more jails, to increase the deterrence factor, and to increase rehabilitation.

Easy peasy.

Scabster_Mooch said:
Very odd man that Mr Brown. If there is a predicted rise in the need for prison spaces, then the obvious solution would be to create more spaces.
the obvious answer to Daily Hate reader's and those that write leaders to the Ed' signing off as "Yours Disgusted, of Tonbridge Wells" perhaps....

but better to have some proactive thinking rather than reactive thinking... address the root causes of crime rather than a lame attempt at a sticking plaster over the symptoms.

and stop locking people up for offences that do not merit a custodial sentence just in an effort to look 'tough on crime' for a knee-jerk public fan base.

come up with a working criminal justice system that will actually work in the long run, although initially unpalatable to the likes of Disgusted of Tonbridge Wells.

the answer most certainly is not more prison places and a unimaginative call for a return to a Victorian bread & water regime.

PS:- Scabster - this wasnt intended as a 'dig' at yourself, merely using your quote about more prison places as a start line.

You've read the newspaper report on the leaked document, you have read the comments upon the newspaper report now read the policy document itself:

http://www.times-archive.co.uk/onlinespecials//crime1.pdf

It comes in two parts. Here is the second part:

http://www.times-archive.co.uk/onlinespecials//crime2.pdf

Once you have taken the time to actually read it with an open mind, go back and read the newspaper report again.

You now begin to understand a little about the public perception of crime and how that perception is manipulated by the Press and having been manipulated, the government transform perception into policy and then into legislation.

Some difficult questions raised on crime and social cohesion. I suspect that the answers will be as equally difficult to address effectively.

Regards and all the best
Iolis

PJ, was it a white Christmas on the planet where you live?

The vast majority of people in jail are there for one simple reason - because they are SCUM. Because they are too lazy, cowardly, stupid etc to work for a living nd contribute to society. They are parasites who want everything for nothing. They deserve nothing but contempt.

Born on a sink estate? Daddy abused you? Mum's a junkie whore? You're addicted to crack? Sorry, I don't give a fcuk. Obey the law, or suffer the consequences. And the emphasis should be on SUFFER.

I want jails so brutal they make a septic SuperMax look like that 7 Star hotel in Abui Dhabi. I want prison to be such a terrifying experiance the few who come out alive would rather commit suicide than commit another crime.

I don't want them rehabilatated. I want them BROKEN.

I want a police service that dumps the "policing by conscent" garbage and tries SUB-zero tolerance for a change. I want the type of street monster who will club a Ned like a baby seal - then nick what's left for Bleeding with Intent.

A police service with enough numbers,weapons and powers they make Judge Dread or Robocop look like Guardian-reading, vegitarian members of the Bill Oddie Appreciation Society..

And guess what, Pompey? there are a lot of people like me; we pay our taxes, obey the Law, contribute to society. And then. every day, we read our papers or watch the news. And see the county we love fall apart.

We have to watch while inbred, sub-human, worthless scum sell drugs, shoot or stab coppers, kidnap and rape women or children, batter OAPs for the price of a fix...and get away with it.

They get away with it because our so-called leaders are cowards and whores. They get away with it because our judges are senile old farts. They get away with it because most senior coppers are little better than out-reach workers in uniform, who want to hug the criminals and feel their pain. While the beat cops, who do the real work, are outnumbered and, all to often, outgunned as well.

And that, more than any other reason, is why Far Right sociopaths like Nick Griffen are gaining power. Bcause the "system" is FUBAR and people who would'nt normally touch the BNP with a 10-foot pole suddenly find themselves with noone they can trust or believe in.

Here endeth the lesson.

Werewolf said:
PJ, was it a white Christmas on the planet where you live?

The vast majority of people in jail are there for one simple reason - because they are SCUM. Because they are too lazy, cowardly, stupid etc to work for a living nd contribute to society. They are parasites who want everything for nothing. They deserve nothing but contempt.

Born on a sink estate? Daddy abused you? Mum's a junkie whore? You're addicted to crack? Sorry, I don't give a fcuk. Obey the law, or suffer the consequences. And the emphasis should be on SUFFER.

I want jails so brutal they make a septic SuperMax look like that 7 Star hotel in Abui Dhabi. I want prison to be such a terrifying experiance the few who come out alive would rather commit suicide than commit another crime.

I don't want them rehabilatated. I want them BROKEN.

I want a police service that dumps the "policing by conscent" garbage and tries SUB-zero tolerance for a change. I want the type of street monster who will club a Ned like a baby seal - then nick what's left for Bleeding with Intent.

A police service with enough numbers,weapons and powers they make Judge Dread or Robocop look like Guardian-reading, vegitarian members of the Bill Oddie Appreciation Society..

And guess what, Pompey? there are a lot of people like me; we pay our taxes, obey the Law, contribute to society. And then. every day, we read our papers or watch the news. And see the county we love fall apart.

We have to watch while inbred, sub-human, worthless scum sell drugs, shoot or stab coppers, kidnap and rape women or children, batter OAPs for the price of a fix...and get away with it.

They get away with it because our so-called leaders are cowards and whores. They get away with it because our judges are senile old farts. They get away with it because most senior coppers are little better than out-reach workers in uniform, who want to hug the criminals and feel their pain. While the beat cops, who do the real work, are outnumbered and, all to often, outgunned as well.

And that, more than any other reason, is why Far Right sociopaths like Nick Griffen are gaining power. Bcause the "system" is FUBAR and people who would'nt normally touch the BNP with a 10-foot pole suddenly find themselves with noone they can trust or believe in.

Here endeth the lesson.

by any chance do you live in Tonbridge Wells and use the nom de plume "Disgusted"..?

you seem to fit the bill.

These include "chemical castration" of sex offenders
I may joke about it but to resort to this not because of its principle but because Broon is too stingy to build prisons is absolutely disgusting to think of.

Course I suppose they might bring in the death penalty as well of course?...Didnt think so...

Biscuits_AB said:
AndyPipkin said:
Does he mention lazy Policemen at any point in this book?
Or stupid ones for that matter? I only ask because today I watched video footage of a break in & the subsequent police reaction.

The early hours of Xmas morning, & two men, wearing balaclavas, break into a store on the outskirts of Belfast (the store is 200 yards from a Police station). They both had tyre levers, & forced open a fire escape with them. Once inside (& with the alarm blaring), they started forcing open the "outside" door of the store's cash office (located just beside the fire exit). They got this open no problem & found a large, wheeled metal box in between the now open outer door & the inner door.

They pushed the box out of the way, & then set about trying to force open the inner door. They didn't seem to be having much success & they both started taking run ups to charge into the door. Defeated, they turned their attention to the wheeled metal box. When realising that they couldn't force that open either, they fled empty handed - despite the fact that there were two Tom Tom Sat Nav systems lying on the floor beside the metal box (which itself contained jewellery), several tills complete with floats, a glass cabinet filled with games consoles & a glass slot machine that had cuddly toys with £10 notes tied to them.

Credit to the PSNI, 10 minutes after the break in, they had managed to climb the gates to the premises & had entered the store. The signs of a break in were obvious, but they of course did not know if the perpetrators of the crime were still in the store. A couple of them stood guard at the door, while the rest set about searching. They were soon joined by a canine unit too.

Once they were satisfied that there was no-one in the store, they then set about contaminating any possible evidence. They were walking about the damaged areas with wet boots on, & were touching all surfaces & broken materials with their bare hands during their discussions. Now it turned out that the burglars were wearing gloves & took nothing, but the attending officers did not know that because they hadn't seen the video footage. For all they knew, the robbers could have been bare handed & could have escaped with several thousand pounds worth of property.

I thought the robbers were thick, but the PSNI made them look like criminal masterminds in comparison. :roll:

Fallschirmjager said:
Not until cigarette smokers turn into the scum of society like smack heads.
You mean they aren't? (that includes my wife, the horrible nicotine addict witch).

B

Biscuits_AB

I only asked about lazy ones, as I've worked with many and believe me, there are many. If you ever see them from the inside, you'll pay very little attention to the whinges they have afterwards. There are a few who are interested in doing their jobs, but many are not and will blow a job out as soon as they get the chance.

Only recently, my other half had to call North Yorkshire's finest into her place of work where some money had been nicked. The suspect, a student from a local college, who was in to help for the day, done a runner as soon as it was announced that the police were being called in. Call me old fashioned, but that would have raised an eyebrow or two.

Anyway, PC Plod attends, takes names, leaves. Re attends a week later with some bumph story that they couldn't pursue the case further as the college wouldn't release information on the 'suspect' and that it was all down to the Data Protection Act, blah, blah, blah and therefore the 'case' was being discontinued. As my wife pointed out to him, the amount stolen wasn't much, but would they have made the same excuse had it been a murder?

In a nutshell, the lazy c*nt just couldn't be bothered to do his job, more than likely due to the amount stolen and having left it as active for a week, he was writing it off and thought that he could bluff his way through, as it was only a bunch of women after all.

Time for a Prison Lottery to bring excitement into penal policy.

The Romans used to draw lots and execute every tenth legionnaire to inspire the rest...................this kind of decimation lottery would add to motivation amongst prisoners