Crime & Punishment in Colonial Kenya: Bibliography Thread

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rampant, Jul 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Anderson, David, “Histories of the Hanged: Testimonies from the Mau Mau Rebellion in Kenya”

Berman, B. “Control and Crisis in Colonial Kenya” (London, 1990)

Berman, B. & Lonsdale, J. “Unhappy Valley: Conflict in Kenya and Africa”, Book 2, “ Violence and Ethnicity”, (London, 1992)

Branch, Daniel, “Defeating Mau Mau, Creating Kenya: Counterinsurgency, Civil War, and Decolonization”(African Studies)

Cooper, F. “Africa since 1940: The Past of the Present” (New Approaches to African History)

Edgerton, R.B. “Mau Mau; An African Crucible,” (London, 1990)

Elkins, C. “Britain's Gulag: The Brutal End of Empire in Kenya”/”Imperial Reckoning: The Untold Story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya”
    It would be wise to read the critiques of this book, I personally find it a contrived piece of drivel, Elikins has taken a fantastic amount of research, both by historians that went before her and her own, the dreadful shame of this book is that she singularly fails to carry out any critical analysis of this research, making huge leaps of intuition and invective, this is not so much a history but a rant. I simply include it so that others may form their own conclusions and gain a wider understanding of the issues and how they are debated. I am startled that it won a Pulitizer and that she ended up as Professor of History at Harvard: unbelievable.

Furedi, F. “The Mau Mau war in Perspective” (London, 1989)

Gordon, D. “Decolonization And the State in Kenya” (Boulder, 1986)

Hyam, R ., “Britain's Declining Empire: The Road to Decolonisation, 1918-1968”

Kanago, T. “Women and the Politics of Protest”, in MacDonald, S. et. al. , (eds) “Images of Women in Peace and War”, (Basingstoke, 1987)

Ochieng, W.R., “A Modern History of Kenya, 1885-1980”

Ogot, B. & Ochieng, W.R., “Decolonization and Independence in Kenya”

Lonsdale, J. “Explanations of the Mau Mau Revolt”, in Lodge, T., (ed.), Resistance and Ideology in Settler Societies, (Johannesburg, 1986)

MacKenzie, “Land, Ecology and Resistance in Kenya, 1880-1952” (Social History of Africa Series)
    Maloba, T. “Mau Mau and Kenya” (1993)

Maughan-Brown, David, “Land, Freedom and Fiction: History and Ideology in Kenya (Third World Books)”
    Parker, Ian., “The Last Colonial Regiment: The History of the Kenya Regiment”

Presley, C.A. “Kikuyu Women, the Mau Mau Rebellion and Social Change in Kenya”, (Boulder, 1992)

Smith, David Lovatt, “Kenya, the Kikuyu and Mau Mau”

Throup, D. “Economic and Social Origins of Mau Mau” (1987)

Van Zwanenberg, R.M.A , “An Economic History of Kenya and Uganda, 1800-1970”
  2. rampant

Journal Articles:

Cleary, A.S. “The Myth of Mau Mau in its International Context”, African Affairs, 89, 355, (1990)

Cooper, F. “Mau Mau and the Discourse of Decolonization”, Journal of African History, 29, (1988)

Lonsdale, J. “Mau Maus of the Mind: Making Mau Mau and Remaking Kenya”, Journal of African History, 31 (1990) pp. 393-421

White, L. “Separating the Men from the Boys; Constructions of Gender, Sexuality and Terrorism in Central Kenya”, International Journal of African Historical Studies, 23, 1, (1990)
  3. rampant

Biography & Memoir:

Hewitt, Peter, “Kenya Cowboy: A Police Officer's Account of the Mau Mau Emergency”

Huxley, Elspeth, - any of her novels and memoirs, lovely stuff.

Kenyatta, Jomo, “Facing Mount Kenya”

Obama, Barack, “Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance”
  4. rampant

Novels & Fiction

Ngugi wa Thiong'o, “A Grain of Wheat” (Penguin Modern Classics)

Nicholls, C.S., “Red Strangers: The White Tribe of Kenya”
  5. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Finally got my sweaty mits on a copy of Elkins' "Britain's Gulag". As I only got it from the library this morning I haven't read much. But SOMETHING about it sparks my intutition that it is exactly as the critics on Amazon said. Very well researched, hundreds of sources accessed, but from the opening paragraph she had already decided that british imperialists were the worst thing to ever happen to the world anywhere...

I'll update again when I have read a little more.
  6. Please do. At the moment I'm at a loss as I have nothing from our colonial past to feel guilty about
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Back in the day I did a course in Terrorism as part of my degree. Kenya was one of the case studies, not one of the african students (including a Kenyan and also an ex fighter for zanla) ever complained about our conduct, which believe me they would have done if they had a problem with it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. rampant

Damn, haven't got round to setting up the discussion group and thread yet, don't want to discount your input gents but will need to hold this one thread for the Bibliography - it's gonna get longer btw.
  9. Not wishing to piss on your fire, but does anyone, apart from POTUS, actually give a ****?
  10. rampant

A group of us is interested in exploring the topic further

i). to get to the story behind the man

ii). to investigate a period of history that requires much more investigation

Although Mau Mau is well documented and written about (sometimes hysterically - see Elkins) there is little available on the Criminal-Legal History of Colonial Kenya and we feel it deserves further exposition. The key to making that exposition come alive is telling the story of a man with historical and contemporary significance.
  11. A few of us do, its of historical interest and of serious relevance to what motivates the current POTUS in his foreign policy.
  12. Rampant now I understand what the thread is are you seriously going to go through all that material to get to the bottom of of why we pissed off Obama, if so best of luck and look forward to see if there is any truth in the subject matter
  13. rampant

Yep, I think something can be made of it, I have been a bit busy of late so haven't uploaded much yet there are more articles to come which I will load up here via dropbox (the last link in the Journals section - White's "Separating the Men..." is one article I have uploaded already - it's a pdf so you can copy it too if you like), I have shed loads more that I have to scan in. So check back every now and then. I'll mark uploads with a bullet point from now on.
  14. Will do definately more interesting than the man himself.
  15. Seen this film? The aerial footage of the Zanzibar massacre was a bit of an eye opener. You find it hard to believe it ever happened visiting the region today. That said, I still much prefer Tanzania to Kenya, for a whole host of reasons.