Crime figures up and police numbers at their lowest level since 1985

My Gernan friends tell me in the decade up to 2016 the police budget was cut by circa 20%.

Mutti's new "Germans" are not the most law-abiding of people.

However by and large, the very vast majority of Germans are.
I really couldn’t imagine an outraged old bugger in my village calling the Nachtwach because I crossed the crossing without waiting for the green man!

However by and large, the very vast majority of Germans are.
I really couldn’t imagine an outraged old bugger in my village calling the Nachtwach because I crossed the crossing without waiting for the green man!
Nope, you are right on that one.

Facts are also everything, saving money is the only mantra these days. The position of a police station doesn’t deter crime, our station used to be in the town centre, it didn’t stop fights, thefts etc. It doesn’t affect response times as the cops are out in cars or on foot.
I agree to an extent, the positioning is immaterial....The essential differences between your force now and the old peel force is they might catch the criminals within a very short space of time and you will get them eventually. But then, the old criminal law and courts would deal with an offender in a very robust manner and the modern ones would let the criminal off and finally deal with him in a series of escalating sentences.

The old adage of 'cruel too be kind' applies to the immature, substance abusers and a hefty sentence at the outset buys the community some peace. Reforming them is a joke, because human brains simply don't operate on external stimuli that is forced upon us.

Case in point, pair of teen idiots with catapults hanging around the street taking potshots at street lights, solar panels, cars.

Police inform the residents it’s not a priority, it’s Saturday evening, but their reports have been noted.

Case in point, pair of teen idiots with catapults hanging around the street taking potshots at street lights, solar panels, cars.

Police inform the residents it’s not a priority, it’s Saturday evening, but their reports have been noted.
In an ideal world with sufficient resources it would be attended. In the current world with very limited resources it’s a low priority.

I'd rather the government scrapped the methadone programme, put that money back in to the police, and maybe tackle the petty shoplifting etc crimes that meth heads are continuing to commit. Far too much scum walking the streets.

In an ideal world with sufficient resources it would be attended. In the current world with very limited resources it’s a low priority.

The chap whose solar panels attracted their attention is not very gruntled.
As you say, we can thank Treason May that criminal damage, possession and use of an offensive weapon in a public place, is no longer a crime priority.

Would the police attend if locals took matters into their own hands?

You can be sure Vigilante action would ensure the full force of the law was brought to bear on locals
Yes, I thought so. I did briefly have an image in my mind of the louts tarred, feathered and tied to lamp posts. I'll hand myself in to the thought police.

I'd rather the government scrapped the methadone programme, put that money back in to the police, and maybe tackle the petty shoplifting etc crimes that meth heads are continuing to commit. Far too much scum walking the streets.
No point in robbing Peter top pay Paul, it never works. If the public want an effective police force (NHS, Social Services etc) it's about time they accepted paying for it.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
No point in robbing Peter top pay Paul, it never works. If the public want an effective police force (NHS, Social Services etc) it's about time they accepted paying for it.
We already pay too much in tax, oh hang on Boris wants to cut tax, well for some.
Jeez look at me I’m turning into a right bloody lefty. Is it any wonder though after so many years of May and Johnson as Mayor shafting the police.
Three of my old police stations have since become a restaurant, and blocks of flats. Nice.
It’s not that the public need to pay more tax it’s the way the government chooses to spend it that counts, starting with foreign aid and the benefits bill.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
We already pay too much in tax, oh hang on Boris wants to cut tax, well for some.
Jeez look at me I’m turning into a right bloody lefty. Is it any wonder though after so many years of May and Johnson as Mayor shafting the police.
Three of my old police stations have since become a restaurant, and blocks of flats. Nice.
It’s not that the public need to pay more tax it’s the way the government chooses to spend it that counts, starting with foreign aid and the benefits bill.
I don't know enough about foreign aid or its first/second order effects to comment, but cutting the benefits bill is not the way forward, the effects are obvious.

She’s done her thirty, she should just retire, a very nice pension, a lot more than some earn, but oh no let’s take more money out of an already strapped for cash service.
I’d like to have a look at her arrest record.
BBC talking about a six-figure payout if she wins. Probably five figure if the Met settles out of court. Nice little retirement bonus.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't know enough about foreign aid or its first/second order effects to comment, but cutting the benefits bill is not the way forward, the effects are obvious.
You are probably right, if we cut cash from those sorts then it will inevitably lead to petty theft and shoplifting. My bad, but the government need to make work pay. It’s a viscous circle though with child care costing so much, nine times out of ten you are better off staying at home looking after your own kids, and actually that’s the way it should be, but then some people would say that’s statement is wrong and old fashioned, what? Looking after your children is wrong? Oh I give up I don’t know what the answer is, maybe win the Euro lotto and bugger off somewhere?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
BBC talking about a six-figure payout if she wins. Probably five figure if the Met settles out of court. Nice little retirement bonus.
Words fail me so.:frustrated::pissedoff:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B The Book Club 4
brownhat The NAAFI Bar 16
vvaannmmaann The Intelligence Cell 27