Crime figures up and police numbers at their lowest level since 1985

Further to my post my merpol mate is on tonight. He's just text back to say unless it's a murder not to bother tonight.
Inspiring isn't it.
I got told off by plod for wasting their time when I went to report that my car was stolen, it was my fault for owning a vehicle that was popular with thieves who like to ship them over to Africa

And when it got to youths throwing fireworks at people outside the police station, yup you guessed it health and safety, it was too dangerous for them to get involved

And that was Bruce Grove not even the most violent place in London (albeit a bit rough)

2ndpreimage

Old-Salt
I got told off by plod for wasting their time when I went to report that my car was stolen, it was my fault for owning a vehicle that was popular with thieves who like to ship them over to Africa

And when it got to youths throwing fireworks at people outside the police station, yup you guessed it health and safety, it was too dangerous for them to get involved

And that was Bruce Grove not even the most violent place in London (albeit a bit rough)
I'm going to call shenanigans on that. When you say told off you mean to say in all seriousness that a police officer said it was your own fault and what objected to recording the crime?

Also fireworks outside the nick. It is a health and safety consideration in so far as without long shields and enough bodies to go after the people setting them off it's a risk assessment. I rarely wade into any situation without considering if it was going to help and if I was going to get my ass handed to me. People shooting fireworks at buildings is certainly one of those.

Last edited:
I'm call to call shenanigans on that. When you say told off you mean to say in all seriousness that a police officer said it was your own fault and what objected to recording the crime

Also fireworks outside the nick. It is a health and safety consideration in so far as without long shields and enough bodies to go after the people setting them off it's a risk assessment. I rarely wade into any situation without considering if it was going to help and if I was going to get my ass handed to me. People shooting fireworks at buildings is certainly one of those.
Yes they said I should have known to not have a car like that in the area, as they're notorious for being shipped off to Africa for spare parts

I was only living there whilst I started a contract, and waiting until I knew the money was rolling in before splashing out on hotels

Actual footage of a senior Met Sargent being told MP's are complaining the police aren't doing enough to protect them...

I don’t believe you.

I don’t believe you.
Well that's your choice, the reality is the police service varies throughout the country

And some places it is suboptimal, and some people really give the attitude of they couldn't care less

Shame plod relies on consent, annoying people for no reason won't help in the long term

Ive been burgled 3 times in the last 15 years. After the 3rd burglary I simply gave up having nice things that can be carried away and sold for drugs and fitted a safe for anything valuable. I watch TV on a tablet or laptop. I have little furniture. My car is a 10 year old Hyundai. Every spare bit of disposable income stays in the bank. I wonder how many now live like this and how is it affecting the high street and consumer goods sector?

In all but one of these burglaries, I knew who was the likely culprit. I even had witnesses on the last occasion who called the Police before I came home and told them who was breaking into my flat, and where the crim lived (upstairs)

The Police did nothing. A CID officer stepped through the wreckage of my front door and said 'If I were you, I'd move, mate'

I told him to **** off out of my flat and go and do his job, ie get a statement from my neighbour standing behind him and go and arrest the druggie **** upstairs that did it.

Karma came my way a few months later. Druggie thief was found dead on the beach at Gravesend. Murdered, apparently. Turns out he was an informer on a local drug dealer. And since the Met are incapable of any proper persec/opsec somebody soon found out. Probably explains why a CID detective pitched up at a routine burglary: The suspect was his informant.

Just listening to the Radio after the latest knifing and the ‘Community’ are asking for more money to help fight this knife crime with more police numbers.

Would this be the same community whose parents these kids come from? How about helping to help yourselves and bring up your kids properly?

Just listening to the Radio after the latest knifing and the ‘Community’ are asking for more money to help fight this knife crime with more police numbers.

Would this be the same community whose parents these kids come from? How about helping to help yourselves and bring up your kids properly?
Why blame the parents? You don't need a stable family life or a functioning adult to know that 'stabbing people is bad, m'kay'

Parents get blamed for everything but get **** all support other than a few quid child benefit. Perhaps we need to give time and training to parents or create communities that mutually support themselves and their members, instead of atomising them through poor housing, poor employment opportunities, poverty wages and benefit cuts.

You want a better society? Build it and pay for it.

JNM

War Hero
Why blame the parents? You don't need a stable family life or a functioning adult to know that 'stabbing people is bad, m'kay'

Parents get blamed for everything but get **** all support other than a few quid child benefit. Perhaps we need to give time and training to parents or create communities that mutually support themselves and their members, instead of atomising them through poor housing, poor employment opportunities, poverty wages and benefit cuts.

To be fair the state of some parenting is appalling and a lot cry poverty while using an iPad as a babysitter. A lot of gang related crime is linked to single parent households, specifically that boys with a single mother have no Male role model and are more likely to be latchkey children with no supervision when they get to secondary school.

I wasn’t blaming the parents completely, more the community asking for help without seemingly taking any responsibility.

Also, you don’t need to ask for help to build a community, it’s not about money, junior football, netball and social clubs make a community, school governors and a bit of self respect.

Ive been burgled 3 times in the last 15 years. After the 3rd burglary I simply gave up having nice things that can be carried away and sold for drugs and fitted a safe for anything valuable. I watch TV on a tablet or laptop. I have little furniture. My car is a 10 year old Hyundai. Every spare bit of disposable income stays in the bank. I wonder how many now live like this and how is it affecting the high street and consumer goods sector?

In all but one of these burglaries, I knew who was the likely culprit. I even had witnesses on the last occasion who called the Police before I came home and told them who was breaking into my flat, and where the crim lived (upstairs)

The Police did nothing. A CID officer stepped through the wreckage of my front door and said 'If I were you, I'd move, mate'

I told him to **** off out of my flat and go and do his job, ie get a statement from my neighbour stanth ding behind him and go and arrest the druggie **** upstairs that did it.

Karma came my way a few months later. Druggie thief was found dead on the beach at Gravesend. Murdered, apparently. Turns out he was an informer on a local drug dealer. And since the Met are incapable of any proper persec/opsec somebody soon found out. Probably explains why a CID detective pitched up at a routine burglary: The suspect was his informant.
Never had property burgled, just had the odd run in with Pikeys, with one renting a house to grow and sell drugs literally across the road

I guess that's the thing I've only lived in dodgy areas as a second home whilst working away, so never had much worth nicking except the cars I drove in (even those were old and still got nicked)

Perhaps the house shares helped, as I they were mostly young but the sort of uni students who wanted to just work hard or the parents were going to go ape

I don’t believe you.
Knowing my luck you're probably the copper who pissed me off in the first place

London can sink under the weight of crime for all I care, I'm out of there

Please show me a force that has announced that it will no longer attend burglaries? Certainly not my force.

If communities decide on a local crime panel that fly tipping is a problem and a priority for them, it will be given some attention and resourcing as is right. Fly tipping often involves the likes of asbestos and other noxious substances which are expensive to dispose of.

Road deaths involving cyclists are serious, every road death costs the taxpayer over £1 million, a few initiatives that save even 1 life pay for themselves thousands of times over.

By the way, what argument was I making?
Leicestershire

Attempted break-ins at odd-numbered houses were not fully investigated by one police force as part of an experiment to save money.

Leicestershire Police said the pilot scheme had had no adverse effect on public satisfaction or crime rates.

When did you work there? Certainly used to happen like that but haven't seen practise like that for over 5 years in my force.
I don't believe you

To be fair the state of some parenting is appalling and a lot cry poverty while using an iPad as a babysitter. A lot of gang related crime is linked to single parent households, specifically that boys with a single mother have no Male role model and are more likely to be latchkey children with no supervision when they get to secondary school.
To be fair it is. But there is no-one in authority to tell them they are wrong. Single mums who don't work and raise the kids are called dole scum and told to get jobs. Then once they get a job, they are scum for neglecting their latch-key kids. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

There was a time when a man's wage could support a wife and 2.4 children. Now, particularly in the South East and other Metropolitan areas you need two wages, preferably full time to do what was possible 30 or so years ago. Even though wages have increased in that timeframe, they have stagnated sharply since 2008 whilst housing costs have soared way above wage inflation. Given that, It's surprising more kids aren't utterly dysfunctional as they don't get as much parenting as my generation did.

To be fair it is. But there is no-one in authority to tell them they are wrong. Single mums who don't work and raise the kids are called dole scum and told to get jobs. Then once they get a job, they are scum for neglecting their latch-key kids. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

There was a time when a man's wage could support a wife and 2.4 children. Now, particularly in the South East and other Metropolitan areas you need two wages, preferably full time to do what was possible 30 or so years ago. Even though wages have increased in that timeframe, they have stagnated sharply since 2008 whilst housing costs have soared way above wage inflation. Given that, It's surprising more kids aren't utterly dysfunctional as they don't get as much parenting as my generation did.
I kind of get that, I've never inherited wealth and after multiple divorces went through a bad patch and found myself effectively homeless in the SW (If you count working but still living in B&B and Hotels)

Then my IT dept got offshored to India, so crashed with friends whilst I went contracting wherever the work (mostly London because it's easier to get work there)

Starting with nothing again, I saved the money for a decent deposit for a house in under 2 years, and ended up moving somewhere far cheaper than where I used to live

We survive on my income, and the missus working part time.

I've got no family to fall back on, but knew I had to risk moving somewhere I didn't know people locally to afford to get back on the mortgage at my age

Could I have done it down South, maybe but quality of life would be a lot less

Realistically no one can build enough houses even if they wanted to now, with right to buy and millions of immigrants in the last decade alone, it's hardly surprising there is upwards pressure on housing down south.
The jobs market in London is buoyant especially compared to other countries in Europe so it acts a pull factor

From taxi firms to computer programmers for example, the number of Portugese I've met who've moved here for better employment prospects is quite large. They also moan about house prices, but they still recognise there is no magic bullet

The short term answer has to encourage employers and workers to spread out from south coast and London, as any long term solutions are going to be a long time coming

The thing is to teach kids resilience, get knocked down, get up and try again. The world isn't going to fight for you

JNM

War Hero

Was saying it’s unwinnable for single parents as they have to have a full time job and be expected to raise kids. Funnilly enough though it’s always the south where the Torys win the seats that allow them to **** over the working class.

Latest Threads