Crime figures up and police numbers at their lowest level since 1985

I tried to phone the Anti-Social Behaviour unit at the local council this week to ask for some advice ref vandalism and tresspass. I used the Reporting Anti-Social Behaviour contact telephone number given on the council website. I got as far as the council main switchboard and some bored old biddy telling me to phone the police first.

I laughed at her and said "Well that will be a complete waste of time then won't it?". She didn't say anything else so I hung up. Didn't bother phoning the plod - I live about 6-700 yards from a main police station, but the only ones you ever see are in cars belting up and down the main road with the blue lights on. Interestingly they generally only switch the sirens on at night when the road is pretty much empty...

I don't know any of my neighbours who would bother calling them either.
Contact your PCC and make your views known. Depending on their political allegiance and future ambitions will depend on their response. They were placed there by a HS who wanted a whipping boy/girl to act as the responsibility cut out for her.

Interesting point in the film about support for the Front National rising to 40% plus in the police and army becasue they feel the FN is the only party to support them.
If you look at the officer to population ratio, France has nearly double the amount of officers that the U.K. has.

A quick bit of research across the internet, indicates that an acceptable ratio is 225 to 100,000. The U.K. is sat at 210 to 100,000 and if you extrapolated England and Wales from that, I think it would be slightly lower.

This thread is indicative of how demoralised our police have become … Police officer tried to hang himself from lamp-post' outside force HQ

And my response to the leadership thread confirms what I feel is the ever deepening crisis our countries police are experiencing ...

Reading this and "Boumer's" response re. the state of morale in our Police farce, sorry service, should make all reading them worry for the future. It confirms the same worries that other Police I know or know of, have for the future of the police. The rot of politicisation seems to have started quite a time ago, it coalesced probably just before or around the time of the Macpherson where the term "institutional racism" was coined, erroneously IMHO, as the Police were targeting groups who were overtly criminal, not just because they were black but because they were the ethnicity most likely to be involved as shown by crime statistics.
Numerous politicians in their increasing desire to be seen as politically correct & inclusive to the incomers of all hues, ethnicities & religions, have further pandered to this attitude, allowing the formation of things like the "Black Police Association" to form, to where May's ludicrous comment whilst Home Secretary saying" many Britons “benefit a great deal” from Sharia Law" , when we have what was probably the most respected legal system in the world.
Changing from a FORCE to a SERVICE is a joke when more and more criminals have no compunction in using weapons against each other or the police.
Blairs pathetic PCSO initiative, the pathetic & costly Police & Crime Commissioner farce introduced in 2012, pandering to all the strident minority groups, all while cutting Police numbers/ budgets whilst the population has increased by millions and true serious crime figures have soared.
This all while virtually the only Police to get to senior rank have to be seen to be ticking all the various pc boxes that their political masters want and throwing out those who are good robust thief takers/crime stoppers, as they are too robust for the delicate sensibilities of the snowflakes.
With the virtually unfettered immigration from Europe and many other quarters, criminals of all sorts now see the UK as the softest target, further enhanced by the seeming inability/unwillingness to deport these scum even after they have been detected, prosecuted & found guilty but allow them to stay putting yet further burdens on our overstretched economy.
Since the Duggan riots, where large parts of our capital city were overrun by criminals, the situation has worsened and I feel anarchy could run amok in many of our "enriched" towns & cities. I see no current politician with either the balls or will to stop this, however I am sure they will ensure that they stay safe at all costs & tough for the rest of us. Mackey is just a prime example of what our SPO have become.
This is a good article on it from a few years ago London riots: Metropolitan Police is more service provider than a force
snip "The legitimacy of the police in Britain has traditionally been founded not on conformity but on impartiality"
Where the police were there to protect life & property, deter, detect & prosecute crimes IRRESPECTIVE OF RACE, COLOUR, CLASS OR CREED!

If you look at the officer to population ratio, France has nearly double the amount of officers that the U.K. has.
Aye but they are not all "on the beat" are they.
The police nationale are under the control of the Interior Ministry.,they deal with day to day stuff.The gendarmerie nationale is part of the army and under the control of the Ministry of Defence, although it’s at the service of the Interior Ministry,they do "serious crimes" The CRS is often referred to as the "riot police" - although they do other stuff as well.
That may well account for any apparent distortion in their numbers.

Aye but they are not all "on the beat" are they.
The police nationale are under the control of the Interior Ministry.,they deal with day to day stuff.The gendarmerie nationale is part of the army and under the control of the Ministry of Defence, although it’s at the service of the Interior Ministry,they do "serious crimes" The CRS is often referred to as the "riot police" - although they do other stuff as well.
That may well account for any apparent distortion in their numbers.
We just have 100,000 less, who do all of the above with only about 2 million less population.

And on target for a few less.....

Police chiefs warn of fewer officers after Treasury shrinks budgets further

I liked this.....
A Home Office spokesperson said:”We are working closely with forces to understand the impact this change will have and are in discussions with police leaders about mitigating the impact on the front line.
If you don't see what's happening, you may as well start on top of 2 Marsham Sreet and shout "I see no Signal"...

And on target for a few less.....

I liked this.....

If you don't see what's happening, you may as well start on top of 2 Marsham Sreet and shout "I see no Signal"...
I find it hard to understand why the Treasury should even be considering shrinking the police budget.
Shouldn't the Treasury rather be increasing the budget? I mean if crime is going up, why on earth would anyone think the answer is to make the number of police officers go down?

I find it hard to understand why the Treasury should even be considering shrinking the police budget.
Shouldn't the Treasury rather be increasing the budget? I mean if crime is going up, why on earth would anyone think the answer is to make the number of police officers go down?
Because you can do more with less.

Mrs May said so.

Christ, Don't you people pay any attention? :rolleyes:

Organised crime threat 'higher than terror'

A bigger threat to this country than terrorism. I have been saying for years that we are fixated on terrorism, which while being serious and potentially catastrophic if not challenged, amounts to about 6 or 7 deaths a year on average.

£37 billion is 3 x the funding of The police annually. That’s before you work out the cost of normal daily local crime.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Potentially more officers to go as Government asks for more money from Forces for pensions.
Interestingly Government will cover the extra money needed from The NHS.

Apologies. Already covered.
As long as those pensions keep getting paid I’m happy.
Christ I got worked up when I was working, I got worked up afterwards, 10 or so years later and reading theses police threads on arse got me more worked up than when I was a serving copper!
Well enoughs enough. Pension day soon and I shall be checking my bank balance 1 minute past midnight, just to make fecking sure!!

And they are highly visible out in the community as well.

A bigger threat to this country than terrorism. I have been saying for years that we are fixated on terrorism, which while being serious and potentially catastrophic if not challenged, amounts to about 6 or 7 deaths a year on average.

£37 billion is 3 x the funding of The police annually. That’s before you work out the cost of normal daily local crime.
poor taste to say funny, but so true.

Never mind, I am sure a few direct entry DC's will stay around long enough to take on serious and organised criminality.

:)

Agreed. Terrorism is show business for murderous retards. It's noisy and flashy. But for every 7/7 or Manchester Arena, there are dozens of other plots that never harm anyone. Either because the people trying to carry them out are little more than fantasists, or because the police and security service stop them before they can hurt anyone.

By contrast, the people involved in Organised Crime, especially the higher levels, are rather good at what they do. They have to be; incompetent criminals involved in activities like drug dealing or human trafficking end up either in jail or dumped at the side of the road on a dark night. It's a profession run on Darwinian principals, and the people at the top are often far more ruthless and intelligent than the average Durkha Durkha.

Organised Crime is effectively invisible to the average working class citizen. Unlike terrorists, the last thing professional criminals want is a lot of publicity. They tend to be far more careful in what they do. They are, "businessmen", not fanatics. Which makes them more difficult for police to catch.

Government needs 'fresh look' at police numbers, says Home Secretary

Are we finally getting to the stage where a Government Minister is admitting that plummeting police numbers are to blame in part for rising crime?

Maybe PMTMs days in power are numbered and she holds no fear?

I think its more likely that the "fresh look" at police numbers is because they actually think there are still opportunities to cut some more.

That promised £20bn for the NHS isn't going to magically appear by itself, and it looks increasingly possible that there may be an election soon...