Crime figures up and police numbers at their lowest level since 1985

Met guidelines, under £50 should be looking to square it up as a ‘Community Resolution’ if the suspect admits guilt regardless of if the victim is happy with it.
On principle I pretty much refuse to do them so have had a few rows with custody Sergeants wanting to know why I’ve the cheek to arrest shoplifters.

Marry me!

I ring police a lot in my job, last week 19:15 lads fighting in the road police log number 1363.
21:35 ring again, witnessed drug dealing and use. Police log number 2671.

So 1308 incidents reported in just over 2 hours. On a Wednesday night.
Not even a weekend.
Police here are being buried alive.

Fortunately I live in a fairly peaceful town of about 35,000 - 40,000 population, the last Police station closed a couple of years ago. It is a 30 minute drive to the station now covering this patch. We might, if we are lucky, see a Panda car here once or twice a month on the Saturday Market day, often crewed by one or two "plastic" coppers, PCSO's, who IMHO are neither good to man nor beast. A prime example of the total inadequacy of this lot are 2 incidents.
1) there was a big "pikey" funeral held here about 18 months ago where the town was full to bursting with their vehicles parked everywhere, often blocking the streets so vehicles including buses couldn't get past. Despite calls from drivers & businesses, no police were seen or even attended. That evening as the grieving pikeys hit the Pubs & restaurants, problems really began to kick off, fights, runners from restaurants & cafes causing all such establishments to eject all customers & shut their doors before 7.00 pm that evening. A licensed residents club on the edge of town that I am a member of got a call from several pubs in town warning us of the problem and advising us to close our doors before the yobs spilled over to our vicinity.
2) an "ethnic" restaurant right in the town centre was being renovated. It just happened to be on a turning point in the high street next to the bus station which only h access for buses, hence the turning point for other traffic. we would regularly see builders vans parked in the "double yellow lined" area for hours at a time. Several times there were 3 or 4 vehicles parked there blocking the exit for buses and for several weeks bus drivers had to get out of their cabs, go into the restaurant under repair and ask them to move.
One day I saw this as I got off a bus and about 100 yards up the road saw 2 police women. I pointed out this state of affairs to which they politely responded they would look into it. When I returned an hour or so later to get the bus home. The turning point was blocked again causing the incoming driver to have to dismount and ask for vehicles to be moved.
I fired an Email off to the C. Constable of my local force to complain, only to get a minion respond that parking was no longer a police matter but the local council. I responded that whilst parking may not be, the wholesale blocking of the Queens highway, repeatedly over several weeks was surely a cause for concern. I didn't even get a response from that!
Our police FARCE sorry service, is no longer fit for purpose!!

Met guidelines, under £50 should be looking to square it up as a ‘Community Resolution’ if the suspect admits guilt regardless of if the victim is happy with it.
On principle I pretty much refuse to do them so have had a few rows with custody Sergeants wanting to know why I’ve the cheek to arrest shoplifters.
In my Force, repeat offenders can’t have a CR.

In theory they’re not suppose to in the Met, but it’s ultimately at the officers discretion (we’re allowed it when it suits the bosses) so is routinely used by those who want a quiet life. Same with ones for cannabis possession, though I have to admit I’ve more sympathy in regards to that.

One was given to a bell end on license from prison. I may have ranted about it here.

Fortunately I live in a fairly peaceful town of about 35,000 - 40,000 population, the last Police station closed a couple of years ago. It is a 30 minute drive to the station now covering this patch. We might, if we are lucky, see a Panda car here once or twice a month on the Saturday Market day, often crewed by one or two "plastic" coppers, PCSO's, who IMHO are neither good to man nor beast. A prime example of the total inadequacy of this lot are 2 incidents.
1) there was a big "pikey" funeral held here about 18 months ago where the town was full to bursting with their vehicles parked everywhere, often blocking the streets so vehicles including buses couldn't get past. Despite calls from drivers & businesses, no police were seen or even attended. That evening as the grieving pikeys hit the Pubs & restaurants, problems really began to kick off, fights, runners from restaurants & cafes causing all such establishments to eject all customers & shut their doors before 7.00 pm that evening. A licensed residents club on the edge of town that I am a member of got a call from several pubs in town warning us of the problem and advising us to close our doors before the yobs spilled over to our vicinity.
2) an "ethnic" restaurant right in the town centre was being renovated. It just happened to be on a turning point in the high street next to the bus station which only h access for buses, hence the turning point for other traffic. we would regularly see builders vans parked in the "double yellow lined" area for hours at a time. Several times there were 3 or 4 vehicles parked there blocking the exit for buses and for several weeks bus drivers had to get out of their cabs, go into the restaurant under repair and ask them to move.
One day I saw this as I got off a bus and about 100 yards up the road saw 2 police women. I pointed out this state of affairs to which they politely responded they would look into it. When I returned an hour or so later to get the bus home. The turning point was blocked again causing the incoming driver to have to dismount and ask for vehicles to be moved.
I fired an Email off to the C. Constable of my local force to complain, only to get a minion respond that parking was no longer a police matter but the local council. I responded that whilst parking may not be, the wholesale blocking of the Queens highway, repeatedly over several weeks was surely a cause for concern. I didn't even get a response from that!
Our police FARCE sorry service, is no longer fit for purpose!!
Until recently I ran a policing area that used to be 3 separate stations covering 790 squared km with a population of 70k. For this I had per shift a grand total on paper of 1 Sgt & 6 cops. My neighbourhood team 6 Pcsos & 5 cops to cover the 100+ parishes.

The reality was generally 1 Sgt & 2 or 3 cops on response per shift to cover this vast area. On occasion just 1Sgt & 1 Pc was all that was put out for a 9 hour shift. Admittedly it is a mainly rural area with with low crime, but for me that misses the point. We have large swathes of the community that have no police presence & have been abandoned. Response times of 40 minutes plus. We have given up on dealing with what might be described as traditional crime, Burglay, theft etc & if you are part of a rural community forget it, we seem to be only concerned with what is described as emerging crime.

I have long maintained our overall numbers force wide are fine, we just have a small army in back office roles fit & unfit being paid a cops wage to perform clerical/admin tasks & squads for just about everything other than patrol work which should be a police forces core role.

And breath...

Until recently I ran a policing area that used to be 3 separate stations covering 790 squared km with a population of 70k. For this I had per shift a grand total on paper of 1 Sgt & 6 cops. My neighbourhood team 6 Pcsos & 5 cops to cover the 100+ parishes.

The reality was generally 1 Sgt & 2 or 3 cops on response per shift to cover this vast area. On occasion just 1Sgt & 1 Pc was all that was put out for a 9 hour shift. Admittedly it is a mainly rural area with with low crime, but for me that misses the point. We have large swathes of the community that have no police presence & have been abandoned. Response times of 40 minutes plus. We have given up on dealing with what might be described as traditional crime, Burglay, theft etc & if you are part of a rural community forget it, we seem to be only concerned with what is described as emerging crime.

I have long maintained our overall numbers force wide are fine, we just have a small army in back office roles fit & unfit being paid a cops wage to perform clerical/admin tasks & squads for just about everything other than patrol work which should be a police forces core role.

And breath...
How long is it since Labour stepped down, leaving a note in the drawer saying ' There's no money left - tee hee"?

Overlay that with the 2008 banking crisis, and put the recovery in the hands of barely competent politicians (our fault, we vote them in, or we don't bother to vote at all, which IMHO is the greatest sin) and this is what happens.

Personally, I don't think PMTM capable of captaining the ladies team of her local golf club, but I'd not rate any Tory any better, and whilst contemptuous of both B'liar and Broon, I'm staggered by the way Corbinista Labour is shaping up

In short, it's been a long time since Westminster provided Leadership with a capital 'L', and the downstream consequences of that include the continued institutional mismatch between resources employed and outcomes achieved that you outlined.

Same Same in HMPS - which is compounded by our national inability to comprehend that locking up a small, determined, vicious, minority, whilst at the same time rehabilitating those who can be rehabilitated (Scandinavian model) would beat our habitual antiquated neo-Victorian approach hands down, in terms not only of reducing crime but also improving productivity and reduced cost to the exchequer/taxpayer.

I'm genuinely fearful now of where the fvck we inhabitants of these islands are gonna find ourselves in a year or five . . . .

And breath...
Along with the 22,000 cops that have gone since 2010, another 25,000 odd staff went as well, meaning cops that are nominally “frontline” according to HO propaganda are actually doing the vital work that still has to be done in the back office to keep things going.

Your link was just for the figures in Scotland wasn't it?
If you look at the previous post, it was about the published figures in England and Wales that show an overall increase in crime of 9% coupled with all time low police numbers. I was trying to contrast that with the Scottish figures that show falling crime and rising officer numbers.

It would appear that things are just as bad, if not worse, in France.
Inside a Cop's Head | ARTE in English
I heard about Sapnish towns opposite Gibraltar where the cops hadn't been paid, and turned up to work on the grounds that (a) the alternative was catastrophic and (b) they hoped the government would see then right in the end.

A friend with contacts in the Carabinieri was telling me about one district where they had no money to fuel the traffic cars, so the peelers were doing it out of their pay.

The French cops have had a proper pasting of late. From the poor sods shot up by heavily armed Jihadists to the running battles with public order.

The brecher at the Bataclan had this shield, which puts things into perspective

This was German Polizei SEK (Spezialeinsatzkommandos, State level Police tactical units) at Hamburg during the G20

Can you imagine the dump the Home Secretary would take if that played out on a British street?!

Or does that show people have stopped reporting crime as they know nothing will come of it?
I tried to phone the Anti-Social Behaviour unit at the local council this week to ask for some advice ref vandalism and tresspass. I used the Reporting Anti-Social Behaviour contact telephone number given on the council website. I got as far as the council main switchboard and some bored old biddy telling me to phone the police first.

I laughed at her and said "Well that will be a complete waste of time then won't it?". She didn't say anything else so I hung up. Didn't bother phoning the plod - I live about 6-700 yards from a main police station, but the only ones you ever see are in cars belting up and down the main road with the blue lights on. Interestingly they generally only switch the sirens on at night when the road is pretty much empty...

I don't know any of my neighbours who would bother calling them either.