Crime figures up and police numbers at their lowest level since 1985

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Dick of the Yard has cancelled all rest days and A/L by the sounds of it as the Met musters an extra 300 officers to patrol the streets of London this weekend.
Panic management at its finest.
What are they going to do next weekend and the weekend after that?

The curtailment of 'stop and search’ to appease politically correct concerns that it would be seen as ‘racist’ was a huge mistake. ( Public, government policies?)

This then further compounded by the lack of any meanigful consequence when knife crime and criminals were detected and apprehended. (Criminal Justice system?)
Scandal of the 2,000 knife-wielding thugs who are let off jail

Police policy to a major degree is dictated and shaped by the above. When a majority of knife crime is committed by a small percentage of the population, and the policy of profiling is seen as politically incorrect then a major tool in the crime fighting arsenal is removed. When the criminals are then not punished it only serves to encourage and increase the spread of this type of offence.

The Government does collate and compile statistics of ethnic groups from across the CJS it is what is done...or not done, that has to a large degree resulted in the present wave of violent and deadly knife crime.

Politically correct appeasement, and refusal to face facts by society brings its own consequences. A society that for some years has been subjected to a subtle but effective subliminal 're-eductation’ on how we should behave and think, to some degree by organisations like the BBC, our daily television, our schools, councils, advertising have all played their part.
Pogo.jpg

To some degree it has been undoubtedly for the good, however like all things it can also create a politically correct blindness to facts and simple common sense.

Another factor is uncontrolled immigration and EU free movement which has resulted in an influx of immigrants from countries that have larger and very much more violent criminal sectors of their society coming here and bringing their gang cultures with them.

The present promised ‘crack down’ is little and late. The inanities spouted by the shadow home secretary telling, as is the reluctance of the present Mayor of London to be seen, questioned, or held to account for a major rise in this type of offence during his watch. Very free with his criticisms he seems reluctant to accept any himself.
London BLOODBATH: 'What took you so long?' Sadiq Khan in car crash Radio 4 interview

Last edited:
Unless it's nailed on the police aren't really interested in petty crime anymore, who can blame them to be fair, been cut to pieces by the imbeciles in government. A policeman's lot is not a happy one.
I totally agree , several friends are in the Force , none are happy , none feel that the Chief Constables have any idea on fighting real crime .......none have any respect for their higher Bosses , all feel let down and are trying to do a good job despite their Bosses and the Home Office .
I don't think any would recommend it as a career to youngsters .
I have upmost respect for those at the coal face and total disdain for those in charge of a rapidly failing Police Force who put their personal agenda's ahead of protecting ALL the public .

On the subject of stop search, this article was quite interesting.

The stop and search race myth | Coffee House
I can remember one staff collector meeting involving LHR officers in our remit that turned into a full scale row back in about 07. With allegations of implicit racism when HMRC adopted the Ho mentality completely failing to understand Customs procedures. You could cut the atmosphere surrounding senior management with a knife. But they swallowed the myth hook line and sinker.

Slightly off thread...
There's an ongoing wellbeing survey that's been sent out to all Met staff. Will be an interesting test of Ma'am Dick's integrity, as to whether the almost certainly negative results, will be buried or not and what she's actually intending to do to try and fix morale and 'wellbeing'.

The curtailment of 'stop and search’ to appease politically correct concerns that it would be seen as ‘racist’ was a huge mistake. ( Public, government policies?)
From April 2014;
The home secretary, Theresa May, is to introduce a "comprehensive package" reforming the use of police stop-and-search powers after telling MPs that as many as a quarter of a million street searches last year were probably carried out illegally.
Theresa May announces reform of police stop-and-search powers

Slightly off thread...
There's an ongoing wellbeing survey that's been sent out to all Met staff. Will be an interesting test of Ma'am Dick's integrity, as to whether the almost certainly negative results, will be buried or not and what she's actually intending to do to try and fix morale and 'wellbeing'.
Can I make a bet?

The one in my farce, no one ever saw the raw data. What we saw was heavily spun, and even the negatives were stuff that was all in hand.

So everything is good, carrying on and anyone who says otherwise is not a team player.

Slightly off thread...
Ours is due this month as well. Along with the results of a vote of no confidence in our PCC.

The population of the UK is not the same as the one that was happy to be policed by consent with the introduction of Peels coppers.

The currentt population is vastly different and many most definitely don’t consent to being policed and it’s about time the politicians accepted that.

The police need to be root and branch reformed into a law enforcement organisation who remit is law enforcement, not policing.

Can I make a bet?

The one in my farce, no one ever saw the raw data. What we saw was heavily spun, and even the negatives were stuff that was all in hand.

So everything is good, carrying on and anyone who says otherwise is not a team player.
Sadly that's what I'm expecting. The buying of Empress State Building for £400m, when teams are at minimum strength and working out of a handful of nicks, has already done a good job of pissing off the rank and file.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
London is very quickly turning into the New York of the 1970's. If we're not careful it will get to that.
How did they turn New York around? Zero tolerance and by recruiting thousands of police officers to ensure that the policy was truly enforced.
A lot of money yes but worth it, oh yes.
Today's New York is a safe city and totally undistinguishable from that of the 70's. Have we got the political strength and will to do the same?

If not I hate to think what London and the main cities in this country will look like in ten years time.

FWiW Neither. Ihmo. More police won't solve it. It didn't last time. This has far more to do with communities stopping the walls of silence that invariably are part of the gang culture. The Lawrence's did this against whites. But will anyone have the courage to do it against their own people.

Everyone in this Thread who implies a causality between falling police numbers and rising violent crime is obviously not a team player. Police officers just need to follow orders and leave strategy to their betters.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43686595#_=_
Still seems to be no shortage of resources for investigating transphobic twitter comments, racist garden gnomes and paedo-conspiracy theories about dead prime-ministers though, does there?

I would just make the point that lots of officers think the whole insulted-by-twitter set of crimes and whatnot are ridiculous but if crimes are alleged, there is a duty and obligation to investigate them.

I would just make the point that lots of officers think the whole insulted-by-twitter set of crimes and whatnot are ridiculous but if crimes are alleged, there is a duty and obligation to investigate them.
No, because a chief officer of police retains absolute discretion as to policing priorities and the application of police resources in their area, and as such has the right, power and duty to choose how to apply the law and which crimes are and are not investigated - see Denning in R vs ex-parte Blackburn, 1968

300 officers so parking one in each ward would need a good few thousand. All the crims will do is move to the now less policed areas, while ethnic youths will complain of police over-reaction. :cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
brownhat The NAAFI Bar 16
vvaannmmaann The Intelligence Cell 27
N Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14